Spring Perch Width... Does it matter? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, long time lurker, first post tho...

I'm swapping in a FZJ80 rear axle into my FJ62. I ordered new spring perches to weld on from trail gear, but comparing them to the stock perches, they are an inch slimmer. The stock spring perches are 3.5" wide and these new ones are 2.5".

Does it matter? I've looked all over for either an answer to this question or a 3.5" wide perch for a toyota axle and can find neither....

Any insight? included a couple pics of the perches (and a couple of the axle rebuild for fun!)

IMG_5673.jpeg

IMG_5675.jpeg

IMG_2587.jpeg

IMG_5655.jpeg

I had a friend who ran spring perches that were a lot narrower than his springs. He had a lot of issues with springs killing themselves fast and twisting around. That was on a Jeep YJ, which is much lighter than an FJ. I'd try to find or make wider perches.

EDIT: The FJ62 spring perches are extra wide because the u-bolts pass through them. That isn't strictly necessary. As long as your perch is as wide as the leaf springs themselves, you should be fine.

I told ruff stuff what I was doing for my 80 axle swap with leafs, and this is what they suggested that I buy. I've not done the swap yet.

Reactions: OSS
2.5" perches are completely fine for Cruiser springs.

Thanks for everyones replies.

Yea i feel like it pretty sketchy to have 1/2" gap from the u-bolts to either side of the perch...

My leaf springs are 2.75" wide but theres a metal guard (see pic) around the leaves that makes the whole stack roughly 3.5" wide, thus the stock perch is the same width. U-bolt c-c width is ~4.25"

So I'm just stuck on what to actually do? Does anyone know of a 3.5" wide perch? or do i need to get a new ubolt assembly thats skinnier? Is that little guard around the leaves necessary?

IMG_5749.jpeg

The rear spring pack doesn't usually get an aluminum spacer placed under the springs. Is that what I'm seeing in the picture? It looks too narrow.
That U shaped cap is on upside down. Its there (I'm guessing) to keep the leaves tidy so they don't possibly slide sideways in the pack, though the center bolt should prevent that.

Interesting stuff, yea this is all from the previous owner who lifted it a while back. That little metal shim is like an angling shim, i assume that was installed with the lift to tilt the diff up, but its too narrow and has twisted around on the pin

I think i just need to get rid of all that crap and order this kit from ruff stuff? Do y'all think this will work? the perches are 1/4" wider so they'll fit the springs if i get rid of that u-shaped cap, I dont think i need that at all, correct?

Thanks again

Its a 2.75” spring. Its a 2.5” perch. Its a 1/8” on each side. Its fine. I have used 2” perches with cruiser springs without issue

@cruisermatt knows of what he speaks. Do not worry about it.

the real possible issue you may run into is that those are perches designed for a SOA, I’m assuming (based on the 60 in the background) that you are going to be running SUA, those perches may be a bit long for a SUA setup

Compare to a perch designed for a SUA Setup that is a bit shorter as the spring will arch up on either side.
How much this matters is dependent on how arched your springs are

153CAA03-D665-48F7-A4B4-475E6B6916E6.png

the real possible issue you may run into is that those are perches designed for a SOA, I’m assuming (based on the 60 in the background) that you are going to be running SUA, those perches may be a bit long for a SUA setup

Compare to a perch designed for a SUA Setup that is a bit shorter as the spring will arch up on either side.
How much this matters is dependent on how arched your springs are

Yea i think thats exactly what i need, I am planning to keep it SUA for now and didnt think about the length of the perch.... ugh

But i also think i need a new u-bolt plate that spaces the u-bolts closer to the spring pack/perch, and get rid of that u-shaped sleeve.

I've been waiting to pull axle out until i had the perches ready to tack on, but maybe i should just do it now and get that old crap out

Thank you for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom