Splitcase parking brake options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Afternoon Fellas,

With all this downtown time lately, I thought I would install a much needed parking brake on my FJ40 that was converted with 5.7 vortec, H55/splitcase.

What have you guys used? Factory or aftermarket?

Thanks

Get a 70 series rear axle which has a ebrake on the axle. Axle dimensions are very close to fj40. Need to shift spring perches on axle by about an inch. Or find a late model (80+) 40 series rear axle. The shoe surface area on a 70 series drum brake setup is so much more than that of a transfer case rear brake set up. Hence better stopping power.

Get a 70 series rear axle which has a ebrake on the axle. Axle dimensions are very close to fj40. Need to shift spring perches on axle by about an inch. Or find a late model (80+) 40 series rear axle. The shoe surface area on a 70 series drum brake setup is so much more than that of a transfer case rear brake set up. Hence better stopping power.
Thanks...
sound good

if very energetic, cut down a 60 rear axle on the long side to the 40 width and use a 40 long side axle

if using the OEM splitcase park brake the splitcase needs to be seperated to install the new output shaft.

if very energetic, cut down a 60 rear axle on the long side to the 40 width and use a 40 long side axle

if using the OEM splitcase park brake the splitcase needs to be seperated to install the new output shaft.
Thanks

Try to avoid custom axle shafts.

I thought I saw Georg or @orangefj45 from valley hybrids was selling the split case parking brake setups all refurbished in kit form? Maybe give him a call if that’s the route you wanted to go.

They are actually NOS output housing with new 'aftermarket' parts(output shaft and drum). That is what I got when I bought mine from Georg. The backing plate, guts, and cable are all stock FJ40 parts.

In all honesty, it is probably MUCH cheaper to got that route than finding/replacing the axle.

Personally, I prefer parking brake at the axle but I also prefer factory rear disc brakes. Two out of three of my FJ55s are setup that way (Dana 60 from Ford van) Once I start on my FJ40 project, it will be the same.

The third FJ55 had a rear steer axle thus I went the split case ebrake.
Well... since I need to replace my third member anyway, I thought I’d try to find a late model axle. I just had my tc rebuilt and prefer not to take it apart again...

I also have a nice pair of low mileage axles off an FJ62 that I can use if I don’t use them on another project...

thanks again

Make sure both front and rear 3rds have the same gear ratio.

We do have all the parts in stock to convert your spl;it case to the OEM e-brake setup.

Georg

Valley Hybrids

209-475-8808

How much money are we talking?
We offer a “conversion kit” which includes all new OEM e-brake rear extension housing, the proper long spline Tcase mainshaft and the proper ebrake drum for $700.
You’ll need a 4x-series backing plate with all the “guts” as well as a cable and handle assembly.
and of course you’ll need a tcase gasket of rebuild kit.
We can supply most of the other items as well.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America
Shop 209-475-8808
Valleyhybrids4x4@gmail.com

We offer a “conversion kit” which includes all new OEM e-brake rear extension housing, the proper long spline Tcase mainshaft and the proper ebrake drum for $700.
You’ll need a 4x-series backing plate with all the “guts” as well as a cable and handle assembly.
and of course you’ll need a tcase gasket of rebuild kit.
We can supply most of the other items as well.
Shop 209-475-8808
Valleyhybrids4x4@gmail.com

This sounds nice!

Am I imagining things, or did I hear correctly that you also have twin-stick kits for split case into a 55 or 40?

I found a late rear axle housing with parking brake for my 73. There was a change in axle shafts sometime after 73 so the early axle shafts wont work with it. You also have to modify the trans cover to create a flat spot to mount the handle on the floor. And weld a stud on the back of the 3rd member cover for the cable that runs across the rear of the axle. You will need the handle, cable to rear, the later rear drum brake hardware and backing plates. The rear axle e brake works great but you need a lot of parts to make it work. It may be more cost effective to go with the 5 speed e brake conversion kit.

This sounds nice!

Am I imagining things, or did I hear correctly that you also have twin-stick kits for split case into a 55 or 40?
Yes we do.
:)
Feel free to call and we will be happy to discuss.
Shop 209-475-8808

I found a late rear axle housing with parking brake for my 73. There was a change in axle shafts sometime after 73 so the early axle shafts wont work with it. You also have to modify the trans cover to create a flat spot to mount the handle on the floor. And weld a stud on the back of the 3rd member cover for the cable that runs across the rear of the axle. You will need the handle, cable to rear, the later rear drum brake hardware and backing plates. The rear axle e brake works great but you need a lot of parts to make it work. It may be more cost effective to go with the 5 speed e brake conversion kit.

So you found a bare rear axle housing and then went about finding the rest. Other than the inner axle shaft and cable could probably get the rest off a 60 series. These weren't as popular until the H55F became.popular. I have a 73 but also have a 79 which is a easier conversion to five speed. Also using the rear axle hand brake makes it much easier but certainly not as cheap as the hand brake on the transfer case. But this is no longer a cheap hobby.

This sounds nice!

Would think a twin stick for a 60 series would work if using 60 series top cover. If a 40 series top cover and want it forward to stock location would need to be a different one. Since most transmission shifter are the later two piece fat style and the 40 series transfer lever is as hard to find as the top cover looked with help in Australia for a fat transfer shifter that move the shifter it forward and work with the rear of the linkage. Located one that is very close and works with the stock shift gate. Still working on other options.
IMG_20200224_131827201.jpg
IMG_20200224_131851289.jpg
IMG_20200224_131839599.jpg

In actual fact the 70 series handbrake are renowned for being a poor performer.
Whilst they may have slightly larger pad surface area, the transfer case brake is a better performer due to the multiplication effect of the diff. (usually 4.1:1)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom