split case 4:1 gear sets!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That looks very nice upgrade. Thanks for taking the time to document and take pics of the process.

not quite.....

the "long" h42 started in 85, the 38mm idler upgrade was in april 86. the low and high output gears from a 60 and 62 do not interchange, neither does the idler. like any mentioned, the difference is the bushing vs bearing supported gears. the bushings are a lot thinner than the bearings.

hth

georg

Well there you go I have learned something new.

I've read that the 5th gearset is the weakest out of all of them, so it is not advisable to run in 5th at all while in low range.

I wouldnt have though its a problem as the reduction is happening after the torque passes through 5th gear? I have run 5th gear low range quite alot with no problem.

I wouldnt have though its a problem as the reduction is happening after the torque passes through 5th gear? I have run 5th gear low range quite alot with no problem.

If I'm using so much 4th and 5th gear with my t-case in low I just simple switch to hi gear in the case and continue rolling ..

Awesome awesome awesome!

Georg, how do you think these will compare to the Marks gears? I'm not super concerned with noise, but that was the reason I passed on them per our conversation.

Well, off to buy lotto tickets as I am building a 2F... or I would be ordering... man my 55 is gonna get a whole teardown ;)

from what i can see and hear, these gears are made by the same outfit that makes the gear set for the orion. i have build a number or orions and driven quite a few rigs with them installed and they're very quiet. so i would suspect the same to be true for the split case gears. we will find out this coming week when i install the prototype set in my rig. stay tuned.:steer:

georg @ valley hybrids

Hey Georg, are these ready to ship or is there a wait on them? Not yet ready to pull the trigger, building my 2F, but hopefully soon

Aaron

hey guys.
sorry about the delay in replying on this one.........
i had to pull the case back out due to an un-related issue. the gearset itself was still in excellent shape after 500 miles. the case is now repaired and ready to go back in. i'll ty to get it re-installed by the end of the week and will post up againwith more news.
the gear sets are now available and ready to ship. pm me if you'd like a set.
georg

i had to pull the case back out due to an un-related issue. the case is now repaired and ready to go back in

No offence Georg, this scares me a little bit...? Was the machining too much? Not enough?

How was the noise from the gears? Shifting fairly smooth? If a cleaned up empty case were sent to you(minus gears) what would your install price be out the door?

Any word on when the 34mm might be avail? I have another interested party

Thanks- Aaron

hold everything, let me clear things up a little before this goes all wrong.......

there were no issues with the gear set in my case. the high-neutral-low shift collar was rubbing on the shift fork making a whining noise and generting some fine metal particles. so i removed te case as a precautionary measure and tore it completely apart. the gears were not harmed and look great. the noise coming from the case was also amplified due to the fact that my case was touching the cross member under medium to heavy acceleration. my cruiser ha the earlier 34mm case in i before which is slightly smaller so it never had that problem before.

to sum it all up: so far, so good.

thanks for clearing that up Georg. keep us posted.. in other words take some pics and stuff. maybe some vids of chics kissing. wait i meant vid of you crawlin on a rock hard chic. I mean rock. where is my wife...

Good to hear! And thanks x2 for clearing that up...

any clue what your price out the door if a clean case was dropped in your lap?

hicruise55 said:

No case would be clean enough for Georg so may as drop it dirty.....

Will this gear set work with the McNamera input gear?

that's a loaded question. one of the pitfalls of the split case is that it needs to be assembled "onto" the trans or adapter it's going behind. without having either here at the shop, i can't really "build" the entire case but could do most of it.

hth

georg

I have rebuilt splitcases, mostly I'm intersted in the milling inside the transfercase... I have my h55 out of my FJ55 and pretty sure I need these before it goes back in... :D if it is in a reasonable $ range It'd be worth having the master do it...

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom