Speedometer Rollback? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dogwashetc.com
This seems like a good question for MUD members to ponder:

I have a '91 80 Series I'm restoring. I say restoring loosely. Anyway, my cruiser's speedometer bounces from 0-25mph and it is pretty annoying. Once above 25mph it reads as a speedometer should.

I have '94 parts cruiser that I'm taking most of it's pristine interior for my truck. One of the interior items I'm taking is a dash pad to replace my crack-riddled dash. So while I have the dashboard completely disassembled should I also switch out my instrument cluster for the smooth operating speedometer in the parts cruiser? The conundrum is: can I rollback the odometer to reflect the actual mileage of my truck? Is there any easy way to do this?

Last edited:
In the old days we would pull the cable out of the housing and lube it with "Lubriplate" to solve bouncing speedometers.

Totally not related to your post but I just noticed our similar names, and I literally started planning a trip up to Maine last night haha. The universe is telling me something, if only I knew what it was...

Unfortunately I just replaced my cable, and I have an erratic speedo under 25mph too. I think the speedo itself is worn.

There is a cruise control speed sensor in line with the speedo cable down near the transfer case. That could also create an issue. The part number was 88261-60010. It has been discontinued so if it is bad you would need to locate a used one. The only vehicle that used this particular sensor was the 91-92 FJ80 so resources are very limited.

To the OP's question regarding re-setting an odometer. Such an action, even though without intent to deceive in this case, is considered tampering and is a felony. The only way to do it legally that I am aware of is to have a licensed speedometer repair shop do it.

licensed speedometer repair shop do it.

that actually exist .?

as a more simplistic " solution " I kept my old speedo as a prove how many km had on it so you can add what's in the new ( to me ) one ..

Next up: Posts in the classified for 80s with "only 1,100 miles!!"

Oh.....and BTW, putting the truck in reverse and running it will only run the odometer UP.

I have seen a guy try this with a drill, but a high speed drill still only makes about 60 MPH.

Reverse in a 93 up 80 adds miles. The mechanical 91-92 may go backwards. Where is Ferris?

Reverse in a 93 up 80 adds miles. The mechanical 91-92 may go backwards. Where is Ferris?

I may have to test this when I get home! If it works it is one more reason why the 91-92 80s are the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom