Spark plug blew out/stripped - any hope? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are on a three week family roadtrip and very sadly, a sparkplug on our 2010 Land Cruiser seems to have blown out and stripped all the threads in the hole. New sparkplug doesn't go in, just rattles around in there.

Local Toyota Dealership is saying a new engine is likely required, but is there any hope of a spark plug hole thread repair? New engine is not very feasible given the 8-week lead time, since we have to get home. Hoping for a repair that could last long enough to get us from Wyoming to Michigan. Any thoughts welcome, I'm pretty desparate.

We are on a three week family roadtrip and very sadly, a sparkplug on our 2010 Land Cruiser seems to have blown out and stripped all the threads in the hole. New sparkplug doesn't go in, just rattles around in there.

Local Toyota Dealership is saying a new engine is likely required, but is there any hope of a spark plug hole thread repair? New engine is not very feasible given the 8-week lead time, since we have to get home. Hoping for a repair that could last long enough to get us from Wyoming to Michigan. Any thoughts welcome, I'm pretty desparate.
You'll probably get better info in the 200 forum for a 2010. Its possible it could be fixed with a helicoil.

Seek out a reputable independent auto shop for helicoil job. Dealers work methodology is to just replace the entire part. In this case, the entire engine.

Can you tell us a little about the circumstances? What were the symptoms? Was other work being done on the car when this was “noted”, or was there previous recent work that would have involved the spark plugs?

You can do a helicoil with a new spark plug.

See the YouTube video. Should be able to do everything at an auto parts parking lot.

IMG_6849.jpeg

Haha, first time I’ve seen a one piece helicoil. Looks like a 2 step Timesert imposter. I recommend you watch a YouTube episode of a Timesert installation so you can compare, then you decide which is better.

Blew #5 spark plug in our 2004 Land Cruiser in 2021.
Replaced with Helicoil and running just find. Been over 20K miles since repaired.

We never heard back from this one time OP w/2010? poster. I'd assume he had onboard thread insert repair.

But, the video posted above is interesting.
For one he used anti-seize on spark plug threads. Bad idea!

I've never done a head thread cert. Hope never too do one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom