Spare tire issue!

Visit site
Hi everyone! Wondering about an issue I have with the spare tire! After upgrading to larger tires, the spare rubs against the back of the cruiser when it is locked in place. Are there any adapters or extenders to put the tire a few more inches away from the back?

Finally got the new cappiece and top bolted down! stoked on how it turned out!!

Visit site
I have a 1974 FJ40. I want to continue to use the existing carrier. Just hoping for an adapter to push the tire out a bit!

9BBFC9F0-4FAC-454A-B0F4-4832CEC56CB1.jpeg

3E05C01A-6409-4A58-954E-3DDDCDA873A6.jpeg

06444944-DE76-4644-B57B-275475E70B9C.jpeg

Visit site
If it just barely rubs, you can shim the bracket the tire bolts to off the carrier with washers or something. I used some square tube to space mine out, then longer bolts are needed.

Visit site
Hi everyone! Wondering about an issue I have with the spare tire! After upgrading to larger tires, the spare rubs against the back of the cruiser when it is locked in place. Are there any adapters or extenders to put the tire a few more inches away from the back?

Finally got the new cappiece and top bolted down! stoked on how it turned out!!
Does the tire actually hit the body or simply contacts the tire carrier?

If the tire is moving enough to contact the body then that says the factory tire carrier is to weak to handle the extra weight of your new tires.

If the tire is just rubbing the tire carrier itself I would leave it where it is. If you space the tire further away it will put more stress on the carrier where it mounts to the body and repeated flexing of the body will eventually crack the body.

Visit site
Visit site
Wow! That thing is awesome! Great work on the fab!

don’t have any other details on my set up... unfortunately. It was a retired officer who had it originally and modified. He passed and I picked the rig up from the Grandson.
Wish I could have talked with the officer awhile!

brian

SILVER Star
Website
www.facebook.com
Your latch also seems to be attached to the chassis instead of the body. I have a feeling there is some kind of cool montage here, curious if you have more pictures to share ?

this is version 3.9...later this fall i'll be upgrading to version 4.2 which add some stiffening in order to remove some flexing that the plate carrier has.
bumper2021.jpg

bumper2021B.jpg

Reactions: flx

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
Many possible solutions, depending on how ‘clean’ you want it. For many years, I spaced out the holder from the plate with 6 factory lugnuts. Always knew where I could grab some in a pinch on the trail.😉

Suggestion provided my my Chinese cousin: Lo Tec.

Visit site
Have this same issue but after reading through this thread I realize that as long as your not worried about the attachment to the body (or increased leverage and weight) there are many simple options.

Group buy on wheel spacers anyone? Sounds like the least work, inexpensive and plenty clean for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom