SouthernSS – Combo Spring and Air Bag Setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
By the way, this is not my setup. I'm just documenting in a separate thread @SouthernSS – Combo Spring and Air Bag Setup

My goal is to keep questions and additional information on this combo setup on its own thread, so I can learn more.

Parts:
  • AirLift 1000 Air Bags for 4Runner
  • MetalTech Spring Conversion Kit
  • Radflo 2” Lift, Rear Springs and Rear Shocks
  • Re-use Lexus OEM Compressor
  • Re-use Lexus OEM air lines
Notes:

• Installed air bags with nipple facing up (instead of downwards)
  • Connected the OEM air lines into the AirLift lines (had to remove some OEM clips)
  • Don’t cut the isolators as much as AirLift recommends

Seems like other rear springs from FJ Cruiser or 4Runner would work too. It would be great to document others who have done this combo setup with different parts.

Here's the original post: GX470 Suspension suggestions and overall height question

96E7DF39-01A1-442C-81EE-43AA20DD16FD.jpeg

5E0EA397-6193-4904-A795-37BD7E40034E.jpeg

Last edited:
I read that the Firestone Air line connectors are much better compared to the Air Lift ones.

I personally decided to trash all the existing air lines and compressor when I installed my springs because I could not take those lines apart for the life of me.

I will just put firestone bags in and pump them up like everybody else.

But curious to hear how much of the isolator should be cut.

I would like to do this with my 2004 GX470. Which specific AifLift 1000 kit is this? When I look them up, they have all sorts of variations of the AirLift 1000 with slightly different adapters and parts.

I reached out to @SouthernSS, but no reply. His original post was from March 2015, so I'm not sure if he's still active.

It would be great if others who did this modification can post their details.

Why are you not installing firestone airbags? Don’t have time? Doesn’t fit your needs? Just curious about your thinking

I have gone to a very different spring. I am currently running a progressive LT spring in the rear with a 600-800 load. I am working on a custom set with three stages at 600-800-1000. I am putting in a 33 gallon aux tank next month and I want it to be sprung weight, not airbad weight, or I will see a decrease in performance overall. Just a very different situation at my stage of building.

Bumping this thread as I have a few questions.

I'm doing a coil conversion on my GX tomorrow with the Metal Tech bottom mount, FJ springs, and upper isolators. I don't tow/haul a lot but I would like to have a plan if I do end up towing a heavy-ish trailer. I read the directions for the kit and it mentions to face the nipple down, but since you have pointed the nipple up, can you explain how you ran the lines and also the space between the isolators and the airbag? If the nipple is on the top, wouldn't the nipple/hose hit the bottom of the isolator? Or because you have lift springs is that not a problem? What would you recommend for stock FJ springs that would maintain mostly stock ride height? I'm not planning on lifting until my stock shocks have issues and I have to replace them, so I'm just doing FJ springs for now since my stock bags are leaking.

I'm not planning on re-using the stock compressor and such like you, i'll probably just run my own lines to a filler location that I can air up/down as needed.

Bumping and old thread. Has anyone else done this setup with good results? I'm doing a rear coil conversion with about a 2" lift and this seems interesting.

Bumping and old thread. Has anyone else done this setup with good results? I'm doing a rear coil conversion with about a 2" lift and this seems interesting.

I did this a year and a half ago, still holding up great after 20k. I used firestone bags model 6023 if I remember right but you should measure the current distance on your axle first. The firestones fit right into the FJ springs and I used a drilled and bolted a hockey puck to the lower perch for locating the lower spring. There are upper and lower polyurethane isolaters that you can pick up pretty cheap on Amazon. If you cut the original air hose really close to the air bags you can reuse it for the firestones. I hooked the stock compressor to the new bags and tricked the air sensors to get about 2.5-3" of lift with the benefit of pumping more air in the bags if I really put a heavy load in the back/towing.
air suspension.jpg

1595904506912.png

I just remembered that the stock line is really small but fits perfectly into the line that fits the Firestones! I just lubed it up with some carb cleaner and jammed the smaller hose into the larger as far as possible, so far no leaks at all. Also it was model 2003 in the air bag, not 6023.
2 ea.Firestone Replacement Air Spring - Coil-Rite 6003 $73.581 ea.1/4" Air Line Tubing - 18 ft. - Black$8.06 got these parts at SDtrucksprings.com.

Thanks for the info commanderAJ! Glad to hear its been working for someone else. Did you feel if the ride quality was impacted at all?

Thanks for the info commanderAJ! Glad to hear its been working for someone else. Did you feel if the ride quality was impacted at all?

I have the same bags (Goodyear) and was concerned about ride quality when unladen.
Even “looking” for any additional harshness, I haven’t noticed a difference in the ride quality post-install.

It feels possibly a little more firm but not harsh at all. I did install bilstien 5100's all the way around at the same time though, so that could be a factor as well.

Bumping again, as I'll be doing the rear coil conversion soon and will be towing, so looking at the aftermarket airbag option.

If I want to use my factory compressor, do I just need to leave the ride-control computer, fuses and relay connected? Do I need to trick the sensor, or will it level properly (I'm looking to lift about 2" in rear when unloaded)?

Bumping again, as I'll be doing the rear coil conversion soon and will be towing, so looking at the aftermarket airbag option.

If I want to use my factory compressor, do I just need to leave the ride-control computer, fuses and relay connected? Do I need to trick the sensor, or will it level properly (I'm looking to lift about 2" in rear when unloaded)?
I'd like to know as well. Right now I just have the rear bags tricked for a 2"lift. I have OME springs ready to go in, but I tow some too and don't want to lose the benefit of the bags just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom