SouthernSS – Combo Spring and Air Bag Setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah the video up top shows the dude installing. Basically what I did.
Here’s a better shot, maybe I made the hole too far from the center.

AEDDEE74-A901-466F-A331-7B6954782A9E.jpeg

Yeah definitely too far from the center. Time to make it bigger haha

My bad, didn’t see your previous post. I’ve had mine twisted up on the trails numerous times and I also tow a car trailer (4000lbs). Installed about a year ago, no issues yet!

All good. and Nice! What are you airing up to when towing?
I think on the PDF it shows up to 25psi for SUV’s.

And are you keeping it around 5psi when not towing?

I'm curious about those as well. I tricked my bags after replacing them, but would rather a long term solution by keeping the correct air springs in the rear for ride and towing.
In Scott Brady’s 470 build he used a spacer in the back and adjusted the ride height sensors to keep OEM size air springs. He also went with Timbren active off road bump stops for both the lift need as well as a backup to a bag rupture. Most people seem to talk about switching to coil springs as they are less likely to fail.

I can’t for the life of me find those spacers, but I found Airbag Man. So I’m kind of torn between going with the taller Airbag Man said springs or doing a coil conversion with the air helper bags tied into the factory compressor. I’m probably going to lift my GX next spring so I’ll have to decide eventually. I’m leaning toward the Airbag Man and Timbren setup.

In Scott Brady’s 470 build he used a spacer in the back and adjusted the ride height sensors to keep OEM size air springs. He also went with Timbren active off road bump stops for both the lift need as well as a backup to a bag rupture. Most people seem to talk about switching to coil springs as they are less likely to fail.

I can’t for the life of me find those spacers, but I found Airbag Man. So I’m kind of torn between going with the taller Airbag Man said springs or doing a coil conversion with the air helper bags tied into the factory compressor. I’m probably going to lift my GX next spring so I’ll have to decide eventually. I’m leaning toward the Airbag Man and Timbren setup.
Same boat I'm in. I've tried to look for said spacers, but no luck.

In related news, I found this in the Facebook group today. This is significantly less expensive than a coil spring conversion or the Airbag Man taller air springs. It also allows you to keep either OEM or Arnott air springs, but "trick" the height via spacer instead of over-inflating, which is what Scott Brady did. Especially as I just replaced the air springs with Arnotts last year, this may be the way I go.

In related news, I found this in the Facebook group today. This is significantly less expensive than a coil spring conversion or the Airbag Man taller air springs. It also allows you to keep either OEM or Arnott air springs, but "trick" the height via spacer instead of over-inflating, which is what Scott Brady did. Especially as I just replaced the air springs with Arnotts last year, this may be the way I go.
That’s sweet! Are you going to give them a shot? I would be worried that 2” of lift may be too much. I have an OME 2” lift for the front. Guess I could always adjust the sensors a little to get the height correct.

I think I will. I was going to hold off on the lift until winter/spring, but my mechanic just told me that all my shocks are weeping. So looks like lift is trumping lights for the summer. I was planning about 2" anyway so this should work.

I think I will. I was going to hold off on the lift until winter/spring, but my mechanic just told me that all my shocks are weeping. So looks like lift is trumping lights for the summer. I was planning about 2" anyway so this should work.
I replaced the original bags with the Arnott bags as well. With looking at the spacers you linked, would the “pin” on the bottom of the airbag go into the spacer? How would it be secured at the bottom of the bag to the spacer? I really like this idea of keeping the stock bags in place at the correct pressures.

I replaced the original bags with the Arnott bags as well. With looking at the spacers you linked, would the “pin” on the bottom of the airbag go into the spacer? How would it be secured at the bottom of the bag to the spacer? I really like this idea of keeping the stock bags in place at the correct pressures.
Per the Facebook post where the guy mentioned it, he did have to drill out the top center hole a bit to accommodate the Arnott T-shape pin.

Per the Facebook post where the guy mentioned it, he did have to drill out the top center hole a bit to accommodate the Arnott T-shape pin.
Can you post some pictures of what he did? I don't have FB.

I'm close to ordering these and try out to see if I can make this work.

Looking to do this same thing on my 2008. Recently replaced the airbags, but discovered my new Arnott bag was leaking after about two weeks. Decided to just go to springs in the rear and use a helper bag for towing with the original compressor.

I've got Dobinsons IMS shocks all around and the C59-296 springs with 1" of lift in the front. It levels the rig really nicely on the stock bags at stock height. Was thinking about swapping to C59-599 in the rear and a MetalTech conversion kit.

So here's my question: I could do either the full MetalTech kit with the cone isolator or the basic kit that doesn't have an isolator. With the basic kit I was thinking I'd add the Moog K160061 rather than cutting down a cone. Anybody have thoughts on this?

The upper cone style will not work with air bag helpers, like Firestone.
Had to use hockey puck style to run the Firestone air bag helpers.

They work. You just have to cut the top off the cones at the first or second indentation. Forget which

I recently did the 4runner coil conversion with 1" Eibach lift springs and threw the 4135 bags in my in my rig and my opinion is that they're too short. They don't do much until it starts squatting . Thinking about either ordering the coil-rite 6003 or 4108, does anyone have experience with either??

air-26156_xl.jpg

I want to wire this in to bypass the height sensor to manually control the stock compressor. Has anyone been able to find a wiring diagram for the harness going into the compressor?
Can you share the Eibach springs you went with? I like the setup you describe.
For context: my stock air springs swent kaput. The coil conversion is appealing to avoid future maintenance headaches with air system. Not looking for much lift, as I don't get out on anything more gnarly than fire roads, but I tow a ~4000# camper and want the air assist so I don't sag when towing. Rig is otherwise stock so I expect that I'll inflate only when towing. I'm open to any/all suggestions!

Did the Moog Springs with Airlift Bags.
Remove the Bottom 17mm Bolt in Shock. Using the Jack to push down the Axle helps - See picture. After removing bottle Jack use lifting Jack to move axle back up.
Used the Moog top Shock rubbers and gave them 2 wraps of electrical tape to hold in Place. Eliminated the Squatting & Bouncing.
I sprayed everything after install with Fluid Film while wheels were off.
Suspension Compressor is toast, so will install the Airlift Schrader to adjust bag fill amount. I’m going to Tee Bag Lines to 1 Fitting. Have same bags in our 80 Series and love them.
Bags were $105 per pair Amazon, Springs were $90 per Pair Rockauto.com. Spring Top Rubbers were $30 Amazon. The Airlift hose fits tightly over Lexus Air Hose. I zip tied Loops incase hose is needed in future.
I used bent needle nose to Remove top Clip on old bags. Removing Spare Tire gives Great Access.

3A208DD4-D301-4AFE-91C7-73BA62E3C6C2.jpeg

62636E15-EAFF-41A3-92FD-501955CC3558.jpeg

CCED22B5-B6BC-49D6-82CA-534634989983.jpeg

37ADF1F4-45E2-46C8-A903-3010518C9526.jpeg

8FDA7EEE-8870-42D7-8724-1A0588A042F3.jpeg

3C2FE7B3-D28E-4A49-9FD7-964B81DB5BBE.jpeg

3597D61C-6501-4D5A-B770-205085BE24BF.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom