Southern Appalachian Trip, dirt and road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

izzyandsue

Izzy
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tactegra.com
Friday morning , 8:30, we met at Mast Gen Store in Valle Crucis to start a 3 day adventure ride, maximizing off road driving through NC, TN, and VA. The route is below. We had no idea about where we would camp, no idea is the route would work, but that's part of the "overlanding" fun. We wanted to maximize dirt roads or trails, and find remote and quiet campsites.

IMG_2541.PNG

We finished today at Hogback Ridge Road in VA. We stayed in awesome places, drove great trails, got stuck and unstocked, and went into unmarked public trails as far as possible.

IMG_7748.JPG

IMG_7749.JPG

IMG_7750.JPG

IMG_7752.JPG

Some of the roads, Forest roads, had a private road sign on one direction, and welcome to forest xxx on the other, so we figured some owners try to bluff to avoid drivers near their homes. But these are official US Forest Service Roads open to the public

I will GLADLY SHARE THE GPX FILE, by the way, go out there and enjoy this route or parts of it.

Cows
IMG_7767.JPG

Trucks
IMG_7766.JPG
IMG_7770.JPG

Awesome farm roads
IMG_7771.JPG

Great vistas all day Friday
IMG_7772.JPG

Drove to some really cool forests, made the top of Whitetop Mountain too

IMG_7799.JPG
IMG_7801.JPG
IMG_7803.JPG
IMG_7804.JPG

Found my future rig, look at that flex! Crossed the Appalachian Trail bout a dozen times
IMG_7806.JPG

Campsite,2 was on this amazing road, forest road 206 in VA, on ridge and crosses I77 tunnel. Long road, 4000ft up

IMG_7811.JPG
IMG_7813.JPG
IMG_7815.JPG

IMG_7819.JPG

Lots of very nice rock formations and rocks balancing on each other
IMG_7822.JPG

More rocks, as big as 2 Story houses

IMG_7828.JPG
IMG_7830.JPG
IMG_7831.JPG

Here we picked up Raleigh Grayson Turnpike a big name for a narrow difficult trail, fun as hell.
IMG_7833.JPG
IMG_7835.JPG

Then onto Hogback Ridge Road, which was awesome! Maps show that it dead ends, but it doesn't! Huge mug bogs and holes.

IMG_7837.JPG
IMG_7838.JPG
IMG_7839.JPG

Carving mud with my sliders, this one was deep but we made it.
IMG_7840.JPG

This other one stuck! Axles buried. Had to dig out sucking mud, and Jonathan gave my truck a good yank with kinetic strap, more shoveling... some of this road wouldn't be easy if wetter.
IMG_7842.JPG

We made it down to exit 62 on I-77 then home in 2.5 hours. Jonathan has most of the pics and videos, will post later. Anyone wants the route, email me at izzyandsue@yahoo.com

You need map 786 and 787 from Trails Illustrated, they are essential on this. He Avenza PDF versions of the same is what I used. That way you can also substitute remote camping with national forest campsites with amenities.

What the hell was that thing running in the background of the second to last video? It was covering some serious ground.
Batman

Or an Appalachian American in a pickup 'emup truck.

Some of the "holes" in Hogback Ridge had mud and water to my doors, I was very scared and cried a little, pooed and weted myself.
And the skinnier tires worked fantastic...

Badass!! You can really cover some ground with just two people.
The whole track is over 230 miles. It is easier with 2, as we had no clue where we where going to camp besides "the woods". And some of the campsite will fit 2-3 trucks. But on the track itself, I did mark "big campsite" when it can take 6-7, in my opinion.

Top of the mountain, on top of the truck. 5500ft up. Below other photos, including how to get stuck in the high suction mucky mud. A kinetic recovery did the trick. Maxtrax may be on order soon too....

0414171607_zpsqdviaect.jpg
0415171825_zpsm0czujcb.jpg
0416171316_zpstesn0u2y.jpg
0416171315_zpscj35kfcw.jpg

Ithoughtuh8mud! :<)

What the hell was that thing running in the background of the second to last video? It was covering some serious ground.

I slowed the video down, viewing it frame by frame that "thing" was a Chupacabra.

Nice pix and vids, but with Chupacabra running wild up there, I'll pass.

Izzy, I need to go with at some point for one of this trips. I'll bring my camera and @JohnVee, will bring his finest words, and we'll do a story. Sorry John, I'm drafting you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom