SAS Solid Axle Summit 2017 Official Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Updated the main posting to include the bring a beer "raffle" for those interested in participating!

Very interesting, I think I may find my way up for this...

Joshua McIntosh
'79 FJ40
XL
Likely in a tent somewhere nearby
Santa Fe, NM

I just booked a tent site. The nice lady said others are calling in as well for the same dates, which I assume is this group. Can't wait!

This sounds like a cool trip! I'm not sure if I can make this one. Is this done every year?

Trails will be open to discussion and abilities. All but Poughkeepsie Gultch are easily done with a stock vehicle.
Imogene, Ophir and BlackBear passes are a must. Alpine loop is awesome but very time consuming. Animas Forks out of Silverton is high on the cool factor. Yankee Boy Basin is a nice up and back run.
We are hoping that a few people that are familiar with the area would like to be a trail leader. If you have the experience please chime in. All of the above mentioned trails except YankeeBoy are point to point, meaning you start at one place and finish another. Good trails to pack a lunch and enjoy the scenery with fellow "Knuckleheads" ,I mean Cruiser heads.

Yes Black Bear is a must do for me. I am 0-3 so far as it always seems to open the day after I leave or closes the day before I get there.
Mt Sniffels is a nice hike in Yankee Boy Basin if anyone want to hike a 14er while there. Nice as in hard as hell if you are from the flat lands.

Given the dates BlackBear should not be an issue. I know Telluride really pushes to have it open for the FJ Summit each year so our scheduling a few weeks later should grant you success this year.

Yes Black Bear is a must do for me. I am 0-3 so far as it always seems to open the day after I leave or closes the day before I get there.
Mt Sniffels is a nice hike in Yankee Boy Basin if anyone want to hike a 14er while there. Nice as in hard as hell if you are from the flat lands.

A lot of things have to align for me to make it. It will be last minute for sure.

Jason Reeves
'99 UZJ100 SAS or '84 FJ60
2XL
4Js if space allows due to last minute or the Double RL Ranch if 4Js is full
could be coming in from a few places..
Wind River Wiessbier and Wind River Oatmeal Stout

I think there is a way to get to the "wall" on Poughkeepsie from a different route. Honestly though, it's really not as hard as it's cracked up to be, in my group last summer during the fjsummit there were a few 5th gen 4runners on 33s that made it through and even a 200 series that just had sliders!
The top 3 to run are Imogene, Poughkeepsie and black bear imo.. I plan on driving the majority at least once.

I think there is a way to get to the "wall" on Poughkeepsie from a different route. Honestly though, it's really not as hard as it's cracked up to be, in my group last summer during the fjsummit there were a few 5th gen 4runners on 33s that made it through and even a 200 series that just had sliders!
The top 3 to run are Imogene, Poughkeepsie and black bear imo.. I plan on driving the majority at least once.
Agree. Imogene/Black Bear with lunch in Telluride would be a nice day.

The great thing is even harder trails such as Poughkeepsie Gulch have bypasses available so you can get to the harder sections and watch other people break their stuff!

Oh come on, any Toyota 4WD with a low-range transfer case, decent clearance and decent tires can climb "The Wall" without breaking stuff (though I did stall a couple of times, trying to take it a bit too easy). There's a couple of different lines to choose from too. There's a winch anchor bolted in at the top, but I've never seen anyone use it.

Wish I could make this, but It's not gonna happen this year I'm afraid - in the middle of building a house. Ya'll have fun!

That is the concensus on this idea.
With this being the inaugural run our plan is to keep structure to a minimum to allow more lax times. Future events may grow tremendously and that is cool.
Okay, well I hope it continues if all goes well.

Oh come on, any Toyota 4WD with a low-range transfer case, decent clearance and decent tires can climb "The Wall" without breaking stuff (though I did stall a couple of times, trying to take it a bit too easy). There's a couple of different lines to choose from too. There's a winch anchor bolted in at the top, but I've never seen anyone use it.

Wish I could make this, but It's not gonna happen this year I'm afraid - in the middle of building a house. Ya'll have fun!

Looking forward to trying this as the resident rookie, we don't got walls like that in the east I'll tell you that

A lot of things have to align for me to make it. It will be last minute for sure.

Jason Reeves
'99 UZJ100 SAS or '84 FJ60
2XL
4Js if space allows due to last minute or the Double RL Ranch if 4Js is full
could be coming in from a few places..
Wind River Wiessbier and Wind River Oatmeal Stout

From what I understand, the 4JS sites are quite large and can fit a couple of rigs. I have one reserved and you're more than welcome to join me if you make your decision to come late in the game. Let me know, Jason.

We had a pull through RV site one time. Plenty of room for sure.

Hi.

Just happened on this thread. I'd be most interested in going to this Solid Axle Shindig. It'd be a great excuse to get some real dirt under the AT's. Are the dates set as 10-14AUG? Anyway, should the 4WD planets align, following is my info....

José
LX450 or FJ60
LG
FJs campground ideally
SLO, CA
Figueroa Mountain or Tap It Brewing Company or some Central Coast variety of hoppy goodness.

:beer::beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom