So what kind of tires are you guys running?

Spudman

Addicted to 60's
Just ordered a set of these bad boys

image.jpg

Kumho KL71 35X12.5X15, I have them on my 200 series, excellent tyre, obviously don't have the 35's though

Ive heard great things about Cooper discoverers. pretty pricy down under under though.

personal experience with middle of the road tyres (performance vs bang for buck)
31x15x10.5 = Goodyear wrangler ATs were very very good onroad, average offroad
33x15x12.5 = Achilles Desert Hawk XMT's very good offroad, slightly better than average onroad
33x15x12.5 = Maxxis MA-751 ATs very good onroad, slightly better than average offroad

I run the BFG km2 in 33/1050/15. I used to run 31s in the a/t but decided one day I wanted a chunkier tire. I have been hugely pleased with both tires. I have tried and failed to get stuck on both of them, never had an issue once I put it in 4wd.
that being said, km2s sound like a swarm of locusts that are mad as hell drivin at 55+ speeds

Crick60

Mr Crick
FYI - IIRC, according to Overland Journal, summer issue 2014, those tire are the best AT tire in the market.

Coopers are great but you need to be very weary of the amount of advertising they pay for and how that could influence someone like an editor of a magazine.

Their warranty or guarantee has a disclaimer that you must rotate and balance every x interval and must produce the receipts if making a claim, I've seen many tires out perform coopers both in the rough stuff and duration but they are definitely a premium tire.

David*BJ70

Looking forward to reach the end of the world
Coopers are great but you need to be very weary of the amount of advertising they pay for and how that could influence someone like an editor of a magazine.

You're probably right or not.

First I just present a result of a test conducted by a credible magazine. The test parameter are well explained and well detailed. All seems credible .... but perhaps indeed biased.

I have honestly no idea of the quality of this tire (Cooper). In my case, I am very satisfied with my BFG MT (255/85R16), BFG AT (31/10.5R15), Toyo MT (265/75R16) and AT Yoko(31/10.5R15).

Finally, I took some time to check the last 3 Overland Jounarl issue.

''Gear'' issue 2014 : 1 ad for Falken tire.
Spring 2014 : 1 ad for Falken and 1 ad for General tire.
Summer 2014 issue : 1 ad for Falken and 1 ad for General tire.

... we'll see if there will be more Cooper tire ads in the future ... ;)

Last edited:

Crick60

Mr Crick
You're probably right or not.

First I just present a result of a test conducted by a credible magazine. The test parameter are well explained and well detailed. All seems credible .... but perhaps indeed biased.

I have honestly no idea of the quality of this tire (Cooper). In my case, I am very satisfied with my BFG MT (255/85R16), BFG AT (31/10.5R15), Toyo MT (265/75R16) and AT Yoko(31/10.5R15).

Finally, I took some time to check the last 3 Overland Jounarl issue.

''Gear'' issue 2014 : 1 ad for Falken tire.
Spring 2014 : 1 ad for Falken and 1 ad for General tire.
Summer 2014 issue : 1 ad for Falken and 1 ad for General tire.

... we'll see if there will be more Cooper tire ads in the future ... ;)

Yep can't argue with that.
For sure cooper is a good tire, I just get weary of their performance vs their reputation. It's a bit like rancho, they promote and advertise like they have no real competitors when in reality they are probably the 4th best performer.

We have the biased review problem in Australia with our 4wd action magazine where there was a infamous blow up between ARB and the editor because the mag ran a comparo of bow shackles and the supercheap (Sears) brand won and up until that point ARB had been the lead advertiser.
That issue exposed a few biases especially because supercheap had just started sponsoring the DVDs.

lcwizard

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Website
www.4plusproducts.com
Goodyear MTR Kevlars....but I won't do it again. I've had three sidewall blowouts on the highway and three punctures where the sidewall meets the tread and two tread punctures.
All the blow out were on open highway at 45-60 MPH. Didn't hit anything. Just a loud boom and the sidewall separates cleanly from the tread. My sister put a set on her 60 and she just had hers do the same on the highway between Blanding and Lake Powell.
I've had flats on my Land Cruisers in the last 35 years but never a blowout until these tires. That's going back to the old True Trac and Formula Desert Dog days.. They've not surpassed the record which is held by the generation one Goodyear MTR with the two ply sidewalls. eleven side wall punctures on one set. Luckily I bought the Discount Tire road hazard warranty. For thirty five dollars for the new certificate I get a new tire. After almost three years my tires are still brand new.

Well I started this thread 12 years ago......I guess that answers my recent question as to the age of my current BFG AT's. After 12 years the BFG are not very worn, but they are old and dry rotted. Today I had to put a really old Pirelli on as a spare since the valve stem broke on one of the BFG's.
At this point the tires need to be replaced, but now my question is related to the size that I should run. My truck has an 2 inch Ironman lift, with Ironman shackles. There seems to be a huge amount of space in the wheel wells, with the current 31x10.5x15 tires. Any idea what size tire will definitely fit without any mods?

I will NOT change the wheels...I want the stock Toyota wheels
Is there any issue with mounting a 33x10.5.15 on a stock wheel?
I only want to run BFG AT KO 2's, I won't consider other brands

Here are some pictures....
lc tire 1.jpg
lc tire 2.jpg

12 years...wow. That says something about the BFGs.

I've read about several people here running 33s. If you have a two inch lift they should fit no problem.

My only question is are the current ATs as good as the old ones? Lots of recommendations on here about ATs but many of them are from several years ago. BFG came out with a newer AT since then and I've seen mixed reviews.

Norcal, not on fire but it was darn close.
Yep can't argue with that.
For sure cooper is a good tire,

I hate my coopers. Got them for medium duty, snow and freeway/ costco trips and they have weird flat spots even after being rotated and thud thud thud thud sound and they wont get me up the hill in the snow and I slip in the rain on sharp turns!@!!@!!!, wanted to go USA but I'm never getting anything but BFG.

They feel also unsafe! one of the worst all terrain tires of my life. Bad enough that im putting them on one of my old camping cruisers but I dont want any one to die.

120K miles on my FJ80 well maintained so its not my fault!
So bad I think they "Sold me on" a damaged set to flip these crappy wheels and take my $800? I cant think of any other reason. Or they thought me a sucker?

Cooper Tires

In the membrane between heavy metal and gas
FWIW My latest tire, Ive put about 35k on a set of Falken Rocky Mountain ATs. Been pretty hard on um.... mixed used, plenty of offraod and some rocks. I run them at 30 psi and they ride well. A bit tricky to balance in this size, but overall very pleased for a "cheap" tire! They have a decent amount of tread left, even with an apparently soft compound.

Other standouts in the past have been Yoko Geolanders, And Dunlap rovers .

The only failure I have ever had was a BFG AT.

Toyo Open Country RT 31x10.5 15 stock

So far on the road it's handled great, it's made for a soft ride compared to my old Wild Country AT's, time will tell how they will run. Haven't had a chance to take them off road yet.

tread 009.jpg

front tire 001.jpg
close side 004.jpg

I have run;
Cooper STT
Maxxis Bighorn
BFG AT KO
BFG KM2
Goodyear Duratrac

So far my favourites have been the KM2's and Duratrac. I love BFG AT's as well and have never had a problem and will buy a set as spare for on road on day. We have thick clay near where I live though which makes them useless very quickly. I'm currently running Bighorn's and though I didn't start the tread on them they have worn really well, they are hacked, cut and worn to about 2mm yet still hold great and are evenly worn. Next set will be KM2's again in 35x12.5x15, which is what I currently run.

In our family vehicles, we either use bfg or bridgestone. Although this time around we tried the cooper at3 discovers. We have had good luck with them on the 80 and 60. I had my 60 through 4 heavy snow storm this winter passing the sierra's and some of it was in 2wd because it started so quick and hard. So far so good. The 80 has e load and not too harsh. We bought these because the 80 and 60 are going to be sitting longer and were highly recommended to not crack as easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom