Snorkel cracked around radio antenna (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had my 2000 cruiser a couple of weeks. Just noticed the snorkel is cracked along the seam around the radio antenna area. I believe it's a cheap Chinese one with LAND CRUISER on the side.

Is this likely to affect performance or fuel economy? How bad is it if rain gets in there? Crack isn't huge but enough for water to seep in there..

Any ideas for a DIY fix?

Depending on the size of the crack and how concerned you are with aesthetics, you could probably put some silicone caulk on it and call it a day.

Yeah, put some silicone and call it a day. Or better yet replace with the real stuff.... Safari snorkel or OEM Toyota snorkel ;)

Easier to just order a new one. Better to have peace of mind that water is not getting into the intake.

You can weld the crack together with a soldering iron- do a google search for plastic welding.

It wont look factory, but it will mend the crack.

I was also thinking about a soldering iron or smooth JB weld patch.

They are just soooo expensive for a piece of injection molded plastic...

Gotta pay to play!! You are not riding in a cheapo Heep to begin with ;)

Says the guy who did not speed 40K+ on tooling has to pay an injection shop to run the parts has to package and ship the parts all for only 60 bucks.
True that-

Its a good example of you get what you pay for: the knock off plastic product in this case maybe using low cost resin with incorrect physical properites-or more likely recaptured resin (regrind) from two or three regrinds that they keep throwing color into to makenit look right and the physical properties are so far off of spec that its useful life is half at best.

But buy another one and replace it; youre still ahead.

Thanks for the replies. I can think of a lot of things I'd rather spend $400 on than a snorkel!

JB weld or black rtv sounds like it might do the trick for now. Not planning on going submarining any time soon.

Are all the knockoffs the same shape with the holes in the same place for mounting and everything? Any cheapo one on eBay would fit right in or would I need to somehow figure out exactly what model mine is to replace it with an exact copy?

Do you still happen to have the template? The p/n should be on it. If not, it's stamped on the backside of the snorkel itself. Most ebay/amazon specials are the same and the seller will usually show the p/n.

If it helps, I've seen a few *badly* rolled Land Cruiser wagons where the body of the Safari snorkel survived (minus scratches/scrapes) the accident, they are VERY well designed and built. Yes, they're expensive, but in this case you do absolutely get what you pay for!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom