Sniper setup not running right (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a few thousand miles on my Sniper 2300 setup and I haven't been particularly happy with how its running. Before I installed the kit the motor ran a lot smoother, had more power, often started better, didn't blow "black water" out of the tailpipe, even smelled better. Also loves to die if I let off the throttle and I'm not in gear, really fun when a deer is in the road and power brakes stop working... Only thing that I changed when putting the sniper on is a DUI dizzy timed at about 8-9 of advance. Tried some tuning on the lcd after seeing GMSilk_FJ60's thread about his sniper setup bogging down at about half throttle as Im having the same issue as well as the others listed above. Tried RLMS's advice with AFR to no avail. Are there any threads that have others tunes posted, anyone else having similar issues, anyone know whats going on?

Yeah. Sounds like a vacuum leak. My 60 with a Weber 38 liked to die when i let of the gas out of year the same way. I had a vacuum leak. Found it, plugged, it and it was instantly better. After retuning my carb, the truck stays running, and has more power.

I'm having similar issues. It doesn't die, but it surges at 1600+ rpm. It also loses power and blows a little black smoke at WOT. I know this isn't how it's supposed to be.

Did you find a vacuum leak?
I "cured" most of my issues by tightening the spark plugs gaps to .045 and changing the basic tuning to... Oh damn... Forgot. But my mpg jumped from 8.5 to an astounding 21.8!!! Yeah, probably an anomaly. I don't think I'll ever see that again. That's got to be an all time record for a gas powered fj60.

Thinking leak is related to intake manifold, waiting on a remflex one. Probably going to get a different manifold adapter too, weird that my super cheap ebay adapter isn't flat... I'll try changing the gaps and messing around with some tuning once they show up. Were you going down a hill with the engine shut off :)?

I sprayed starting fluid along the area where the manifolds bolt to the head.. got a bad stumble on #2. Pulled it all apart to find that it was actually an exhaust leak. The intake flange was thicker than the header flange. The Ramflex gasket had gotten damaged so I put the Feldpro on with some washers I cut to space everything evenly and retorqued to FSM. And I somehow overlooked a vacuum port on #5 intake. I set my timing to 9° (I'm at 4000ft) and idle to 750. I'll check my basic tuning settings and share them. I must be pretty close. It doesn't start as easy now, but it runs much better after it gets to 160°.
There is a long grade leaving town, I always try to get the speed up to 70 before it gets steep.. and it drops me back to about 55 smogged with Aisan carb. This time was the same but topped the hill at 65. First time able to go WOT without it bogging. Now I'm feeling much better about the desmog/Sniper surgery.

Put several hundred miles this week on a long trip with the recent Sniper install. Totally different driving experience. Running the Lokar throttle cable. Cable moves smoothly through the sheath smoothly but the spring tension seems high based on the resistance you feel on the gas pedal. Would changing to a lighter spring on the carb soften the tension on the gas pedal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom