SMOG check failed need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will see what he says
Thanks

Starting to look real grim did all the above, High octane fuel, well warmed up cat and lean idle mix as low as possible and the HO went up to around 1,800 not down, complete opposite than what was expected. Even the tester was thinking it should pass, exhaust smells good as he said. His last test was about 330 or something on the HO?? He is trying to find a direct replacement cat with flanges 20" long (flange to flange) with a temp sensor, non CA.
Seems that just finding a FJ40 cat is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

Anyone know of a good suppler of a FJ40 CAT maybe found. He's sweeting the days now.

The only carb adjustments was the mixture set - drop/lean and the float is level as the sight window shows, accelerator pump has the signs of muck around the rubber as most do but that's it. After 38 years I am tempted to ask him to let me lift the lid on the carb to see if the jets are with crud in the float chamber. Just surprised it runs so good with no carb work ever done in all that time.
He has look at that CAT and needs to make sure that his old work temp probe will fill a replacement CAT. He has two retaining bolts holding it in place but not sure if it is screwed in or just held in place by the bolts and mount. The long stock probes are no were to be found.
mpn#1125279 for 215.34 with the mounting for the temperature probe - I will point this one out to him tomorrow.
Thanks guys he appreciates all you input he's a supper nice person just hate to see him stranded without his loved FJ40.

If you are having high HC, then you want to use low (not high) octane fuel, because it takes less to make it combust resulting in less unburnt fuel, correct? High octane is for high compression motors. Low octane fuel will increase your NOx, but a good cat will correct that as well. What do the spark plugs look like? Reading them is often overlooked.

Yeap he filled up with 91 octane with no ethanol. He was told by someone to pour a few pints of rubbing alcohol into the tank that he did not do. He's traying everything. So maybe the 91 Octane produced much higher NOx if the cat is dead. Lowering the mixture should of got him to pass so maybe the higher Octane fuel kicked it back up Higher this time on the HO. I will post a picture of the results. Plugs look good.
Think that that product is mostly Alcohol.
Thanks guys - will try again.

I'd put in a lot more ethanol - like 2 gallons added to 6-8 gallons of gas (add some E-85 at a gas station).

I would also check the cat with a temp gun and see if it's good and hot - and/or replace it. Also, you might hotwire (so to speak) the air pump to always be adding air to the cat - this could be done without major mods. You want the cat converter to be blazing hot and have lots of air from the air pump going into it, and some ethanol providing extra oxygen molecules - THIS is how you lower emissions on an older truck.

Sounds good - any idea what a good heat reading would be. Read that if the temp is the same at both ends of the cat using a laser heat gun (flange in-flange out) the cat is most likely bad, and if hot going in and 10-20 degrees cooler coming out then its working?
Will have to see how to make the air pump continuously pump air into the cat. Would that be at the sensor? Just put a jumper wire on it?
Thanks

Buddy of mine bought my 82 fj40 and just recently went thru this, as I had in the past. finally did the alcohol mix with a few gallons of gas in the tank. Passed. This is in ca.

Some Gee Whiz smog information- - -during the late 1990's we were trying to get the TBI conversions smog legal. Our test vehicles had to be 1985-1987 FJ60's (newest year model the TBI conversions were made for, and which would automatically cover all FJ40's). All factory emissions equipment had to be in place and working. In the late 1990's all of the 1987 emission equipment we could find usually had rusty water pouring out of it- - -as we were removing it from the engine. We actually had to epoxy some pieces back together in order to test the vehicles. The cleanest test were when all of the factory emission equipment was removed, with stand-alone TBI system only. Problem is we could never pass the Federal "cold start" test, sooooo no smog exemption.

Send BZ Rebuilders a pump and have it rebuilt for 210.00. Here’s a pic of the one I sent them.

59B79799-8403-4EAF-8FCE-4DF3A496356E.jpeg

Maybe he will try the few gallons of fuel and some rubbing alcohol as he is not having much luck with the finding a CAT replacement.
It's getting harder to own a FJ40/45/60 with emissions as the parts are getting harder and harder to find.
I tested the complete function of the pump - works fine. That was one I was thinking from the first that had failed, but going strong.

Kind of late to this but I'm gonna be that guy...🤓
Try the bottle of rubbing alcohol. You need to get at least 70 % but 90% is better. Won't fix the problem but may help you get though inspection.
This has work for for me in Mini California also know as Delaware..I ended up having my timing off a little.

P.S. 50 % rubbing alcohol is like putting water in your gas. No good..

Just bite the bullet and get a new catalytic converter. The new ones are way more efficient than the old ones. I installed a Magnaflow CARB cat on my '76 bronco, and went from 2015ppm NOx to 0 on the 25mph test, and 675ppm to 9ppm on the 15mph test.

Yes this is just an anecdote. However if the catalytic converter is old, replacing it will make a world of difference. If you don't replace it, you'll endlessly be chasing little things just to lower it a few PPM at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom