SMOG check failed need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't use rubbing alcohol, it has water in it. Use the denatured from Home Depot, it's diluted with methanol.

If you LEAN the mix out too much, you're going to send NOx thru the roof. You need to have the proper lean-ish mix (in a carbureted motor), not a too-lean one. You need to reduce combustion temps to reduce NOx. Too much air burns hot. Gas cools the mix.

And don't know why you're having trouble finding a CAT, they're available almost anywhere there's a parts store that can order. Just go to a muffler shop and have one welded in, if you can't find a bolt-in.

FWIW, you'll get better smog-beating info in the 60-section, as there are many more 60's that have to pass smog than early 80's 40s. The smog equip is the same as the 60s, as are the motors.

Also, how did you test the Function of the Smog Pump ?

What state are u in ?

To the original poster, @LEO5651
check the solders in the emission computer. It’s a black box bolted to the firewall above the clutch pedal.
I had lots of issues with mine until I fixed the broken solder connections on the circuit board.
The eight broken solders are circled.
90C5985A-0D84-48B5-A96C-BFDFC6C9AEBC.jpeg
90E5F3F8-59CA-4343-894B-C18747D6ECF4.jpeg
5261EF69-506A-4282-848A-925937FF54E5.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the last one that failed horribly

I saw the inside of the black box a year or so ago my take another look. He is looking at a Eastern brand CAT right now but not sure if it will take the temp probe, has a place for one but information is so poor.

IMG_20191012_154829271_HDR.jpg

When I got my Cruiser smogged for the first time in '02, it failed with a HC @ idle with 699. I was labeled a GP, or Gross Polluter by the smog nazis and had to get my 40 smogged EVERY year for 3 years, instead of the normal every 2 years.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I didn't know my Cruiser that well then so I showed the test numbers to a buddy who was a mechanic, without missing a beat he said,"you have a massive vacuum leak!" I replaced the intake/exhaust manifold gasket, the planets aligned and I passed easily.

That 1842 HC @ idle is disconcerting to say the least...keep at it.

As stated around the first post, it sounds as he does have a possible exhaust / intake leak from the underside middle area under the carb. Hard to tell with all the stuff in the way. Took a hose to listen with and get a lot of blow-by from the end of the shaft were the exhaust butterfly is located. As I remember they had a small steel ring on the shaft to help seal?
Yeah that being one gasket for both intake and exhaust could be a major factor. After 38 years :rolleyes:
Results look eerily the same.
Thanks

Okay sorry for the delay to many things going on. The good news is he finally found a Cat and had one welded on since he could not find one that would bolt right on. Getting hard to find. I adjusted his mixture to drop/lean and he put some Ethanal fuel in and went to a place were they do emissions test all day long. Seems as he was going to a place were the guy had to warm up the equipment every time he went there. I personally like a machine that's well used and warmed up and ready to go.
Long story but he passed with flying colors with good results big time.
He did say the guy running the machine used a lower Idle at times so not sure what doing this would of done but he made it under the wire. So he's got time now to fix the exhaust leak hopping that its just the gasket no cracks or warps.
I am trying to get him to start posting the problems and questions he has on Mudd as I got him to join I think he a little shy with web stuff. Regardless I tell him you guys are the best to work with so for him from me thanks for the help.

IMG_20191023_150444348_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom