small Parts Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a 93 FZJ80 with 210,000 miles on it. It is in great shape. I've been running it for a few months and the plastic top of the radiator exploded. I am collecting parts to fix it now. I figure since I don't know what has been changed or fixed on it I might as well do some extras while I'm taking things apart. I bought some hoses to replace all the radiator and fire wall hoses. I've got a new radiator coming. I'm changing out the fan clutch as well just in case. Also changing the thermostat. I was thinking about replacing the injectors with some of those bosch 4 hole injectors and changing the fuel filter while I'm at it. I was wondering what seals, O-rings and gaskets I would need to pick up so that I could just knock this all out without having to stop and have to buy them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pull the radiator and take it to a radiator shop. A good one can rebuild it and it's a far better unit than any of the aftermarket option.

Consult @beno as he's a parts guy and knows these trucks better than all but the most experienced land cruiser mechanics - and they consult with him too. Ask him about seals and gaskets. He won't steer you wrong and can save you some headaches.

Most have the injectors refurbished. Takes about a Week, costs about $100 (Injector Rx).
Careful to not break clips on injectors.
No one I know runs Bosch.....Nearly everyone runs Denso.

One of the problems I have where I am is that there are really no good shops around. Even the Local Toyota dealership has got a horrible reputation. I ordered a used radiator from Cruiser parts. Thanks for the info. I'll contact beno and see what he says.

Go with regular OE Denso plug or Toyota plug, not Bosch, you are wasting your money. As for Radiator, advise to buy a OEM or Koyo radiator, the used one is questionable and may last you few days or few years, is a gamble game.

Might as well do a tune up - plugs, wires, plug seals, PCV, Throttle body gasket, valve cover gasket, distributor, distributor o ring, etc

There are also a ton of water hoses and vacuum lines that are probably old and crusty depending on the OCD of the previous owners.

Additionally, I wish I'd have sorted the leaking crank case bolt while the rad was out. If yours is leaking this might be a good time to address it.

The engine and all is really clean and doesn't have any oil leaking anywhere that I could see. I was thinking about doing a tune up while I was already in there doing other stuff. I just ordered a distributor O ring.

I finally got some time to get into the repairs. I have a radiator and all the hoses. I picked up a new fan clutch, thermostat, water pump and some belts. I took out the radiator. I had issues with the upper radiator mount screws and ended up having to cut them out. So I need some of those. After pulling everything out I realized what the loud noise was a few minutes before the radiator exlpoded. I was climbing a hill and heard a noise and thought a stone or something kicked up from the road. I was about to replace the belts when I found this that the harmonic balancer pulley had broken. The key is missing and the shaft still looks fine. I'm assuming that the temps rose really fast since it probably wasn't turning the water pump and that is why the radiator exploded. I guess now I will take of the timing cover and check things out in there. Do you think it would be alright to look things over and put on a new pulley and button everything up? If so do you have the parts I would need? (timing cover gasket, harmonic balancer pulley and seals gaskets or o rings for it, idler pulley close to water pump. Thanks in advance for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom