Slight Play (Top-Bottom) in Front Passenger Tire/Wheel/Hub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '74 FJ40. It has had a Front Disk Brake conversion (FJ-60 parts) and an FJ-60 Power Steering conversion.

If I jack up the front of the truck and grab the top and bottom of the passenger front tire, I can rock the wheel (slightly), the top & bottom of tire moves maybe 1/8" in & out, but there is definitely a little play in there. The driver's side doesn't do that. The tire is tight if I try the same movement side-to-side.

It is not loose lug nuts.

I have rebuilt the front hubs (twice), most recently ~3 years ago.

Anyway - I am thinking the play has to be in the upper/lower knuckle bearings.

Would removal of shims on the top and bottom of the knuckle move the bearings closer together, and potentially remove this play?

I'd rather not embark on a major knuckle re-rebuild but want to tighten things up before another steering alignment.

Thanks for the advice...

Rocky

It could be the knuckle or loose wheel bearings. You should be able to tell. The wheel bearing won't offer much resistance to get it to move. The knuckle assembly is much heavier to create movement. Youll also have up and down movement. If its not the w/b, have someone move the tire as you describe and you look for play at the axle ball and knuckle.

FJC-man…

You mean the nuts (over the cone washers) that clamp the steering arm on top? And the same nuts on the bottom?

Makes sense.

The comment on the wheel bearing being easier to move than the knuckle bearings makes a lot of sense too, though.

Guess I better get out my shop manual…

Thanks, all!

It's always good to check torque on the steering arm and lower trunion bearing cap nuts. If you take the tire off it'll be easier to see where the movement is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom