Since we need one.... The Club Chat Thread!!! (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jeeps just suck.... My wife decided quite a few years back that a Grand Cherokee Larado (I think) was a good idea (leather and all that crap). Never did anything fun with it but the electrical problems it developed were enough to drive you up a wall.

I like these stories please continue....
That's the one that really stands out for me. I can honestly say that I've met more Toyota Douche heads in the woods than Jeeps... But I would guess that I see 20x more Toyota's than Jeeps, so that probably explains that.

Found a couple steel wheels at work. Built a little stove that separates into a fire pit. Works really well in the snow!

Next up is welding a 2" receiver tube to the bottom to make hauling easier, add a couple turns of copper for a water heater and make the legs removable.

IMG_20190317_143216_3.jpg
IMG_20190222_195422_8.jpg

P.s. Burning the paint off was a great idea til I walked inside and it smelt like a car fire...

Don't do 100+mph weaving in and out of traffic on a 35mph road with a ton of traffic at 6:30 pm. We were on a walk and heard a boom! in about a minute we would have been on the sidewalk. 2014 Audi R8 seeing how fast he could get to the top of McAndrews. Went through an intersection and pancaked the suspension and caught air. Spun around and plowed underneath a f350 which sent it spinning into a tree. Jaws of life used to extract one Mr Jimmy Burton from his R8. Ambulances took them all away.

audi3.jpg

audi1.jpg

audi2.jpg

More trucks going by-by, the daylight pictures were taken in the afternoon and the dark pictures were taken the following morning. These are probably in Central America by now.. This was in Leonardo's lot off 62..
IMG_20190319_155310863_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190319_155258407_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190320_065200590.jpg
IMG_20190320_065210615.jpg
IMG_20190320_065223790.jpg

The trucks were disassembled so they could stack them. It's interesting to realise our used truck prices are being affected by international demand. I think somebody could do a reality show on what these guys do...

Last edited:
I think I have seen a similar thing, usually about four 2wd or 4wd pickups flat towing another 4wd pickup behind with Washington plates. Always going up the Siskiyou's and never seem to have any problems, just slow.

It is quite interesting that is can be profitable to tow them down there.

Anyone know anything about the full time awd center diff in the 2004 4runner with the v8 or the gx470? I've tried to search for answers but what I'm trying to figure out is how sensitive that center diff is to mismatched tires? There is a wrecked v8 4runner coming up for sale today and if it goes for dirt cheap I'd like to make it a zero f's given wheeler... And it may or may not be a coincidence that it's the exact some wheelbase as my Fj55. I want the v8 but I'm not gonna be putting nice new tires on the thing and inevitably in the used sizes (35's) I'd like to run there is gonna be one or even two beat to crap worn out tire in the bunch. Swapping in a Tundra transfer case would be easy enough assuming the center diff isn't electronically controlled by the ecu. I know it's a helical style center diff. The gx and v8 guys are more about fixing dirty leather than digging into the mechanics of it.

Most oem say 2-3/32 difference before it can mess with center diff.
However IMO. the whole point of a diff is to allow different speeds.....
Wrap your brain around that :flipoff2:

**** that Toyota v8, finish the 6.0 in THA PIG. :flipoff2:

I love the 4.7 in my Tundra. It's super compact and torquey enough for towing. The Tundra is too big to be a wheeler, my buddy's all just went to moab and I have nothing to take. The problem with the 55 is that I built it when I was young and only had a 110 welder. Absolutely everything needs to be redone on it plus the wiring for engine and the body. I feel like at the end of the day it will still be a mechanical mess even with the 6.0 and nv4500 in there because none of it was meant to work together. A body swap won't be easy but I'd feel a lot more confident knowing that all the components were meant to jive. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to keep the ifs from the 4runner either. That's just a long term idea, I'm enjoying this s10 /50 chevy truck swap I'm doing right now and love the idea that absolutely everything under the body is from the year 2000, not 1950. Including the wiring. I'm just spit balling here, we are looking for 2 gambler 500 cars and I couldn't help but think it'd be nice to be able to use the vehicle afterwards instead of attempting to sell it or crush it.

As for the diff issue, being that it's on a rather burley vehicle that won't get driven constantly I'm not worried about it. Has anyone EVER heard of one of those center diffs going out? It's not like it's some Subaru car diff driven by a negligent hippie for 300k. I'll be the first to try and kill one. I figure as long as the tires are within 8" of difference I'm good. 30's and 38's were meant to run together! :hillbilly:

How about we all come over and torch all the stuff of the 55's frame for you?? We might even help 'rebuilding' whatever we mess up...
You've always been more than welcoming having gatherings in your shop for us, it's be nice be able to 'repay' the fun we have had there.

I.e. Drink beer, play with fire and pass out when its time :flipoff2::steer:

Just get the thing and throw the tires on if they are reasonably close to the same size. Worse case throw some hubs on the front(possible?) lock the center diff and now you can be the next drift star.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom