Sight glass on diff fill plugs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone considered replacing the fill plugs on all 3 gear boxes with sight glasses like you would see on an air compressor or hydraulic reservoir? Yes, I understand that if you spend all day smashing your differentials against rocks it won't work, but for those of use who are 99% on paved roads it seems like a novel idea.

I get that you're supposed to check those things on an interval, but jacking up the truck, getting some jackstands under it, taking out the plug and sticking your finger in the hole, and replacing crush washers is a good bit of work. I'd rather check all three in 30 seconds with nothing but a flashlight once a week. Then again some of you probably rebuild your front axle every time you change the oil so maybe I am just that lazy.

I think checking them once a week is a bit overkill unless you have some major leaks (checking once per oil change would be plenty). The nice thing about gear box leaks is that they are more of less obvious (and smelly).

For me the unknowns of how well the sight glass would work or possibly fail would outweigh the benefit of a fast visual check.

I don't think the rocks would be much of a problem given the location of the hole. Its fairly high up the diff and you shouldn't be pointing it at rocks anyways. I do see an issue with being able to tell the level. The fluid level is always going to be lower than the glass which I think would make it difficult to see.

you don't have to jack up the truck to check the diff and t-case levels.

I think a serious leak would be quick to spot, and once a week is a bit OTT IMO for a mall crawler. When I am off roading I check underneath every day for oil, if I did not go off road at all then perhaps @ six months?

regards

Dave

You could always plumb it out to a piece of plastic tubing and do a sightglass/tube

Some good feedback!

I checked all 3 today, the front had pulled a bunch of grease into it and was green and soupy, center was right on, and rear was about half an inch low. I rigged up a 12v pump from HF that feeds from a 5-gallon bucket and had it topped off in no time.

In regards to the level being below the sight glass; I thought about that too and figured I could just over fill it by enough to get 1/4" on the glass and leave it like that and monitor. I might just swap them out and see what happens.

deranged...

:)
cheers,
george.

Some good feedback!

I checked all 3 today, the front had pulled a bunch of grease into it and was green and soupy, center was right on, and rear was about half an inch low. I rigged up a 12v pump from HF that feeds from a 5-gallon bucket and had it topped off in no time.

In regards to the level being below the sight glass; I thought about that too and figured I could just over fill it by enough to get 1/4" on the glass and leave it like that and monitor. I might just swap them out and see what happens.
Sounds like it's time to rebuild the birfs...

The only way to get dirty diff oil is a leaky axle seal...

Yep. I'll just ignore the problem and pretend I didn't see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom