Should you grease the leaf springs? (1 Viewer)

I am in the process of restoring the leaf springs suspension on my '81 BJ42 and somebody recommended I should grease the leaf springs. I've searched the forum and the internet and came across divergent opinions on this matter:

NO, you should never grease or oil the leaf springs because petroleum based oil will cause premature fatigue to the type of steel used in the springs. Also, grease / oil will attract dirt and keep it there rubbing the springs
Source: Lubricating Leaf Springs - EATON Detroit Spring - https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/lubricatingleafsprings/

YES, you should grease the leaf springs because grease and oil protect the steel (for example ball bearings, valve springs) and you get a better ride after that.
Several websites recommend this, not sure this one is the best example : Cleaning and checking leaf springs - https://www.howacarworks.com/suspension/cleaning-and-checking-leaf-springs

What do you think?

Dizzy

GOLD Star
The conclusion that I came up with was, who knows?

But, because I don't really know if there is a benefit to oiling or greasing springs, I'll stick to not oiling or greasing. Oil might be too superficial, and grease might be the magnet for abrasives?

Maybe this:

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 7.16.24 AM.png

Downey springs, which were manufactured by NHK (Toyota's spring vendor) were graphite primered, which was a lifetime lubricant/protection for the leafs, but I don't have specific details on the process/application/availability.

For your suspension to work properly the leaves need to be able to move freely. Different products have different life spans and effectiveness. You need to determine which product fits your desire/ability to be able to keep up with. Teflon pads, lubricant, WD40 or whatever, you'll need to decide.

choice of what you place between leaf springs to reduce friction also affected by whether corrosion is an issue where you use the truck. I've done dry graphite spray over paint and also greasing. I think in most cases graphite spray would be fine. I've found grease thickens and gets more sticky after a while. Havent seen grit other than along the edges build up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom