Should I buy an fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here for the donuts....

Do you live on campus or at home? Do you have access to an extra vehicle to drive?
Take a day and read through this forum so you know what to look for. Ask for paperwork and talk them down to $9k. Bank $1500 for immediate repairs and find a clapped out but somewhat healthy camry for $1500.

This is the correct take.

I came under the spell of the 60 series back at the end of my college days. Found a s***box 62 with crazy rust, didn't care. It was $1500 and only had 110k on the clock. Didn't fix anything other than a new master cylinder and regular-ish oil changes. That hunk of crap towed a Uhaul from Kentucky to Denver and then did a month-long ramble up to the PNW and back with no *major* issues. The saving grace was that my then-and-current-life partner had a bombproof 1999 Corolla that was available in the event of trouble which was somehow never necessary.

That being said, I DD my '85 with no backup but her car. It's not impossible, but I'm 35 now and can afford to take a Lyft or have decent enough public transit that can get me where I need to go in the event of an emergency.

Take a step back, assess if you can reasonably accommodate a rolling project, and then act. You'll learn a lot of lessons, whether financial or mechanical, so my vote is go for it, because that's most of us here did.

2. Don't let the seller, or anyone else take advantage of you. Even if they say they aren't or if they're nice etc. just dont trust them. You can say no, change your mind, or not buy a land cruiser at all and still live your life happily. I probably would have quit and sold it a long time ago but I just am too stubborn to quit, and once youre in it you get kind of a funny feeling to keep going. It's honestly been a rough hindrance on my life having it out though, and if you can't handle this possibility or have some special mentor to fix it with you on a moments notice for free instead then don't do it. I'm "lucky" to be living at home right now where my family has other cars.

Good lord this one is important. Not just sellers but there are a lot of people involved with cruisers who are wonderful. But there are also folks who just want direct access to your wallet. Its like this with any enthusiast car though. Just something to keep in mind

In this moment of indecision…STOP! I love new seats too, but stop, turnaround and walk away. One thing you you have going for you. Twelve grand of disposable income lying around after three years of college tells me one thing…you have half-a-brain! Take some time to study the opportunity presenting its self before you. Critical Thinking is the key! However, then again, lessons learned the hard way are almost never forgotten.
take $10,000 of that $12,000 and go buy an iBond. Sit on it. Take the remaining $2000 and play roullette in Vegas. if you win $10,000 back go buy the cruiser.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I’ve been trying to take my time and not get into anything too stupid. I do want a project car, however I have to acknowledge that I don’t get in too far over my head despite the goal of restoring something eventually. I can definitely get around on my bike or via public transportation, and worst case scenario I do live with the gf who has a reliable vehicle.

I think my biggest hold ups are that I don’t really have the income to support that old of a vehicle, however I do graduate with an engineering degree in December so the first should be turning there as well as my inexperience being a source of fear getting into the hobby being that I don’t know these vehicles all that well or what kinda of red flags to walk away from as far as expensive repairs or parts availability. Logic says it’s a bad decision, but the dreams are saying otherwise. Has anyone created a buyers guide as far as what kinds of things could be dealbreakers on these old vehicles?

As far as running condition goes all I have so far is that “transmission clutch is good engages brakes are good needs tires and fluids changed Basic TLC.” Just need to reach out to the community before I go and talk to the seller without any frame of reference on what that entails on these in particular.

As far as running condition goes all I have so far is that “transmission clutch is good engages brakes are good needs tires and fluids changed Basic TLC.” Just need to reach out to the community before I go and talk to the seller without any frame of reference on what that entails on these in particular.

If you post any 'hot deals' here, with details and photos, you'll get the best advice you could get anywhere - for sure. You might find a good Toyota-friendly shop in your area and talk to them in person (before you find a dream truck) and ask how they do a pre-purchase inspection. Some shops will recoil when they hear 'FJ60', so feel them out on that first. No sense spending $150 for an inspection with a shop that won't touch 'those old things'. At some point, it's a crap shoot on any old truck.

Hey sorry man… I assume cuz most are here men. I’m one of few females also sucked into a rabbit hole of love and hell, nightmares, endless smiles, empty wallets.
My poor truck only gets a weekly/every other week drive lately. Gas is about $4.35 in my town. Kills me. I’m not even filling my Mazdas gas tank. And forget the pickup… poor thing has a terrible exhaust leak on either side of the cat.
I’m sorry I can’t read this thread… but definitely if you buy a 60, have a backup economy car. It’s the only way.
At work now just checking in quick.
But yeah no truck stuff at all… beekeeping has taken over my life. I love it regardless. 12 hives, sold about 5, but numbers jumped right back up.
Wish I had more to offer but all the honey I just pulled is reserved. Labels coming for my bottles. I’ll add a photo of it on my build thread. And I’ll say some lucky SAS person “should” have the opportunity to win some in the raffle as long as I can get it in the mail to @POTATO LAUNCHER in time.

Owning a 60 is a love hate passion. My build thread is absurd. Lots of mistakes along the way. But what’s life w/o screwing things up and learning the hard way?

Last edited:
Hey sorry man… I assume cuz most are here men. I’m one of few females also sucked into a rabbit hole of love and hell, nightmares, endless smiles, empty wallets.
My poor truck only gets a weekly/every other week drive lately. Gas is about $4.35 in my town. Kills me. I’m not even filling my Mazdas gas tank. And forget the pickup… poor thing has a terrible exhaust leak on either side of the cat.
I’m sorry I can’t read this thread… but definitely if you buy a 60, have a backup economy car. It’s the only way.
At work now just checking in quick.
But yeah no truck stuff at all… beekeeping has taken over my life. I love it regardless. 12 hives, sold about 5, but numbers jumped right back up.
Wish I had more to offer but all the honey I just pulled is reserved. Labels coming for my bottles. I’ll add a photo of it on my build thread. And I’ll say some lucky SAS person “should” have the opportunity to win some in the raffle as long as I can get it in the mail to @POTATO LAUNCHER in time.

Owning a 60 is a love hate passion. My build thread is absurd. Lots of mistakes along the way. But what’s life w/o screwing things up and learning the hard way?
Just got a mason jar full of raw honey from a neighbor, must be rewarding to Beekeep. I probably picked a suitable enough Username to pick it up.

Daniel

Just got a mason jar full of raw honey from a neighbor, must be rewarding to Beekeep. I probably picked a suitable enough Username to pick it up.

Daniel
Yup I prefer raw too.

DADF26A1-AC2A-407B-9C7E-68573F16D282.jpeg

I’m late to this. I’m 16 and bought a FJ 62, and a BJ60 for cheap. Buy one, they are cool old trucks… it was my dream to buy one so I did. If I were you, I would buy a cheap one, it may have some rust but it’s more affordable. Have fun, and good luck.

I bought mine for 5K CAD (it’s rusty)

604B3F8A-2296-4F9E-B576-C098855169FD.jpeg

5EC21089-1B47-4F88-8ADA-AAC67F1D076E.jpeg

I’m late to this. I’m 16 and bought a FJ 62, and a BJ60 for cheap. Buy one, they are cool old trucks… it was my dream to buy one so I did. If I were you, I would buy a cheap one, it may have some rust but it’s more affordable. Have fun, and good luck.

View attachment 3060361

View attachment 3060362
You also live in a beautiful area. So drive it and enjoy!

View attachment 3060361

View attachment 3060362
You in Washington?

@Newbie32 , the one thing i will add to these sage words of wisdom is that try to reach out to some arizona based cruiser heads for advice, maybe a 2nd pair of eyes. most of us crusty old fawks are willing to help young ones, as long as you don't come across as a know it all (that last bit is me) . as was said some place on the first page, @NeverGiveUpYota 's build thread is required reading.
oh yeah, welcome to mud :flipoff2: yup, that's the official welcome. best of luck with which ever decision you make

I’ll add more perspective.

I grew up in an 84 fj60 which my father @Landschooner still has.
Even with my 100 being down for repairs and my tundra needing work and my Land Rover not even started, I still cruised by a house four times to check out a white 60 series that’s been sitting there for at least two months unmoved.

It’s a sickness but a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom