Shakey mirror fix with a bracket and bottom post fix (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Outsane I installed your mirror brackets and post reinforcements last night and not a moment too soon for my drivers side as the bottom screw had fallen out and the bracket was separated. Install was pretty straightforward and the mirrors are solid. You definatley have to trim the original tabs more than you'd think for ease of install but once you get it, it fits great. Thanks for spending your time making fixes for these little annoyances. 👍

This didn’t work too well on my mirror (no dig on this solution whatsoever). I had done the zip-tie fix some years back, which worked OK for a while. After installing the bracket mine was still being a bit shaky...

Last edited:
This didn’t work too well on my mirror (no dig on this solution whatsoever). I had done the zip-tie fix some years back, which worked OK for a while. After installing the bracket mine was still being a bit shaky...
I figured that maybe the connection to the mirror itself was a little weak, with the little tension spring thingie, so I added a washer here, to tighten up the connection. Everything works as it should , I need to drive it around a bit to see if there’s a difference. We’ll see.

4E847ABC-DACF-4F97-8883-8FB34DDBB420.jpeg

Last edited:
Let me know if there is anything else needed.

Does the bottom fit in with the zip tie on there?
Fits fine. You have to push it a little to line up the threads.

:cheers:

I took my passenger mirror off yesterday to get the shakey mirror brackets in place and found this:
BadPost.jpg

I don't see how the post reinforcement gets installed. ;)

Fortunately I already had a replacement passenger side mirror assembly so just swapped them out. It turns out the screws that you sent replacements for work in the bottom post location. Both the original and the replacement assembly were missing the screws.

I got interrupted before doing the driver side, hopefully it'll go smoother when I do it today. I don't have a spare for it.

@Dazrin
The bottom posts break often, as the unit is in tension when installed, so its either the top ears break or the bottom post..

The screws for the shakey mirror are the same I provide with the bottom post replacement, you can use this to fix the motor assembly you have.

cheers!

@Dazrin
The bottom posts break often, as the unit is in tension when installed, so its either the top ears break or the bottom post..
All of the above in my case. One ear and the bottom post.

Is it usual for the gears to be visible when the bottom post breaks? I figured with them exposed like that it would be better to use a different assembly to start with since I had one. It if turns out my driver side is in the same condition I will end up getting the bracket replacement you have on Etsy and patching with something to keep it at least partly sealed from the elements.

As others have said, easy to install, works well, and feels more secure than the zip tie method. Thank you!

All of the above in my case. One ear and the bottom post.

Is it usual for the gears to be visible when the bottom post breaks? I figured with them exposed like that it would be better to use a different assembly to start with since I had one. It if turns out my driver side is in the same condition I will end up getting the bracket replacement you have on Etsy and patching with something to keep it at least partly sealed from the elements.

As others have said, easy to install, works well, and feels more secure than the zip tie method. Thank you!
One of mine broke pretty much like yours. No worries! It's still usable, IMHO. I trimmed off what wasn't necessary and epoxied the broke off piece back on, to cover and somewhat seal it. Continued with modification using the bottom post replacement, as @Outsane mentioned and it works like a charm.

Well, I just tried to remove the driver side mirror. No such luck.

After a better look inside I can see that the PO of my rig had need of your services but this was before your product was available. I can see that the bottom post is broken, with the screw and a large chunk missing. I can also see that the remainder of the bottom post is epoxied directly to the mounting bracket. :( I really wish he had found Mud and used the zip-tie trick, it would be much easier to undo his kludge that way.

I have no idea how to get this thing out and fix it properly. :( The mirror isn't too bad (probably the loose spring / washer method up-thread will be needed) but I would like to fix it properly.

A long, thin saw blade to cut off the rest of the post (and epoxy) might do it but I don't have one that will reach right now. I'll have to look around. I hope he hasn't put epoxy other places and that just removing the post will be sufficient.

No pictures, sorry, it's dark in there.

I did my passenger side today - worked great. It was being held in by tape until today. As others have said, I was a little confused at first but then figured out that the mirror just slides under the new bracket. Both of my tabs were broken already and I didn't have to break anything else off to get it to slide in. My bottom piece was cracked too so the bottom reinforcement piece was huge. I only ordered one side to check it out first. Wish I had just ordered both to begin with.

Worked well for my passenger mirror; had to dremel off some age-old prior repairs to the ears to allow clearance for the motor to slide under the bracket, added the bottom post collar, and boom-- all steady as she goes. My drivers side ear repairs from a few years were so burly that I couldnt remove the mirror tho!- but the bottom post is cracked and was able to loosen and tweak things enough to slide that collar in to tighten it all up; seems super solid now. Thanks Outsane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom