Seating for 5? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to squeeze the whole family (5) into the 79’ fj40. Would ideally like to put a 60/40 bench in front, but am game for bigger benchs in back. I know the older 40s had a longer bench but anyhow open to suggestions here.

Foreign models look to have longer rear jump seats to accommodate multiple seat belts. Anyone customized with 43 or troopy jump seats?

I know the late model BJs had a nice 60/40 but they seem pretty rare in a LHD setup.

40/60 bench up front was always available in some markets. Easiest would be to use pre 74 long jump seats spaced in front the roll bar.

Wanted:

0806160812.jpg

Longer seats are found in the older models without roll bars. If u have a roll bar, you would have to modify seats to fit.

5 in a 40 is still a squeeze, no matter what the seats are in there.

Been doing it since '91.

Two in the front and three across a bench over he fenders in the back.

Three across the front can be done but sucks with the stick shift in the groin for the center passenger.

Next up will be a pair of forward facing JDM seats that each seat 1.5 and fold up to the side where stock jump seats used to live... don't know if it's even possible. I think they're 80 series and most say they're too big... time will tell for sure.

I've also got Pajero seats which I have seen in the back, but they'll only seat 2.

I just need to find a spare day or two with nothing to do and pull the bench I built in '91ish. After that I can see if the two third row three seater seats can be tweaked enough to fit it. If the pivot points can be in the right place, they should fold up above the two fenders where the jump seats reside.

my '71 has two opposing bench seats in back. This gives seating for three in front on the 60/40 and four in back....all good friends?

I measured a rear bench out of a military Blazer(83 I think) the other day that I think will work for a rear bench. Like @bikersmurf did, it will sit on top of the wheel wells. I think I will be going to pull the seat on Saturday. Like you I need to seat 3 in the rear for a couple years yet. I do have a 10 in stretch body tho, which puts me closer to the troopy category, I suppose..

5 in a 40 is still a squeeze, no matter what the seats are in there.
It’s cool, my wife’s hot ;)

@bikersmurf I would say 80 series jump seats would fit stowed, but would need to lay across the wheel-wells horizontally. They lock into the floor so a platform or leg would have to be fab'd. I can measure my set if you want. These seats can be had cheap thats for sure, many give them away. I prefer the early nodel cloth seats for durability/longevity as well as more rugged/old school appearance.

I would get a troopy. Plenty of room and more unique than a 40
This truck has been in the family since the 90's and was purchased for $3100, not parting with it now. Dont even want to know what a troopy goes for. Additionally, the 40 platform has served me well and I am not keen on the lenghty extended body on that model. Rode in one in Costa Rica years back. Besides, I have the 80 (seats 8) that will serve the soccer mom duty. The wife has been saying all during the resto "but we cant fit the family in it" so this is the main impetus. I of course just imaged running around with it in the woods with the boys, but she has a point. I read a thread (maybe on hear) of an Aussie guy that bent the gear shift in order to better accommodate the passenger riding bitch and I may explore this option.

So, after the bump of my seat threads (also in classifieds) I have now located two guys in CA with the 60/40, stoked. Just need to decide which set to pursue as they each will need some work. Thanks mud. I will be posting our front seats soon, so please PM if interested. They are "like new", recently re-covered. This is the only shot I have right now, pardon the heater lines (I think) on top:
IMG_1059.JPG

I'd be interested in a setup that would safely hold a family of 5. We've got three in car seats so not sure how that would be accomplished.

For now, my answer to this question is the 200!

Thanks to Mud and @YoYoHo I'll be squeezing a 3rd up front (someday when the resto is finished :hmm: ). If anybody is traveling from Socal to Norcal in the next month or so please PM me, I need these seats shipped. will compensate (also posted on Mudship).

Pic courtesy of seller. Anybody seen this cloth before? Seems so well done I wonder if it was a stock option.
383CF5BA-C162-45E5-9C3B-24FF5BB5EC5A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom