Seat swap database (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just scanned through the FAQ and didn't see a post concerning seat swaps. I ran a search just for "Seats" on the forum just in the FJ60 section and got 10 pages of results. I started to link to the more informative threads. I see a ton of threads that ask about a certain seat but never got a response or if they were used the thread never showed any of the final results.

Last edited:
Place holder

Seats I am considering for my cruiser right now are Saab 9-5 seats as they were available ventilated and heated. Internal fans draw air away from you during the summer preventing you from sweating and heated for cold temps....full power and common enough.

Also considering Mercedes sprinter seats but not sure how they will fit yet. Great support. Arm rest, tons of adjustment.

Other common swaps are BMW 3series seats and PT Cruiser seats (what I did and what @mwebfj60 just did on Phoenix). Both are fairly common in most wrecking yards. Both take some modification/fabrication to make work but not a ton, @torfab makes a bracket for later model 60s that are a direct mount for the 3series seats.

Anyone know what these are? Jonathan Ward seems to use them in most of his Ikon builds (custom upholstered of course). They seem to fit the various FJ models quite well.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Anyone know what these are? Jonathan Ward seems to use them in most of his Ikon builds (custom upholstered of course). They seem to fit the various FJ models quite well.

View attachment 1621688

View attachment 1621693

Sorry.. do not mean to be grammar na*i... but they do such a great job restoring, they deserve the respect.. is Icon.

Knowing them, these seats are highly likely customized for them.. they also own TLC so I am willing to bet that the seats used on their Icon LCs are rebuilt LC seats. meaning.. taking the covers and foams out, leaving the steel wire carcass and adding new materials. Since most of their LCs they sell are rebuilds, they use the old seats and rebuild them. Awesome looking seats tho. Too bad I don't have 100K laying around so they can turn my FJ60 into an Icon FJ44

Did these bolt right up or require modification to brackets? Also are they higher/lower than the stocks?

I made brackets to mate the seats to the fj60 sliders. I've been brainstorming new brackets to lower the seats a bit. As they do sit a bit higher then stock.

Other common swaps are BMW 3series seats and PT Cruiser seats (what I did and what @mwebfj60 just did on Phoenix). Both are fairly common in most wrecking yards. Both take some modification/fabrication to make work but not a ton, @torfab makes a bracket for later model 60s that are a direct mount for the 3series seats.

They have a early 60 series mount that requires a fair bit of modification to the seat mounts on the floor pan (cutting all the OEM seat mounts out) but leaves a very OEM seat height with the BMW seats.

I don't think it's on the web site but they have a bunch sitting in the shop as of last week.

That's right I remember your post on it @NookShneer. I kind of wish that the PT Cruiser seats were a bit lower, while mine aren't overly high they are higher than stock (which I liked) and for me at 6' tall I have a couple inches between the top of my head and the headliner. This MAY be an issue if I am wheeling and hit something hard enough to toss me around. Haven't experienced that yet though.

I have PT cruiser seats and love them. I felt the initial install was easy, The height is an issue also though. I have some new brackets made and just need some time to mess with it.

I was looking at the 97 to 2000 Subaru seats from the SF5/STI.. They look lower and have rails but need to see one in person

s-l160033.jpg

Love this thread. I've gone through a similar search process to see what will fit and work in my 62 .

I've decided to go a fancy route - like the 3series seats, since they have heat!

Glad to see the info in one place .

I’d really like a pair of scheel Mann seats. They are pricey but very well made and low profile. They have a few models designed for Land Rover series/defender which require thin seats due to space constraints. Prices in the $1k to $2k range so in the end it may be a dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom