Seat Fabric and Vinyl: How many yards of material needed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time listener, first-time caller.

Does anyone have a good idea of how much seat fabric and vinyl is needed to reupholster both front seats, the rear bench seat, and possibly the side door panels? Does 10% extra coverage make good sense for complete coverage?

First, I know what you are thinking? Why doesn't this lazy SOB just go out and measure their cruiser? Right?

Absolutely, I would do that but my 1984 FJ60 is 5,041 miles away from me because I am finishing a 3-year stint in Madrid, Spain, and returning this summer to my home in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Like a complete cruiser-junkie, I surf "what do you do with your cruiser this weekend"every day and pine away for my cruiser. Frankly, just reading the forum is one of the few things that keeps me sane.

Planning ahead, I've already ordered my new carpet from David (or dnp), and it is waiting for me to install it the day after my touch the good 'ole USA. (The OEM-like reproduction carpet David provides is impressive.) But, I'd really like to have all my fabric and vinyl ready to go as well.

BTW, yes, the tan ticking striped cloth is available from SMS Auto Fabrics. I just received fabric and vinyl swatches from them. See the attached photos. The materials look very close to the original.

The fabric, at present, sells for $99 per yard.
The brown vinyl, at present, sells for $69 per yard.

Oh, just in case you're interested, here's my cruiser in my backyard in Colorado. It has about 350K miles but runs well thanks to the advice and help from my neighbors. Seriously, they can fabricate anything. Since I purchased it, I installed all new OME shocks and springs, replaced the entire brake system, started cutting out rust and welding patches, replaced a lot of the smaller finish items (cracked and missing plastic and rubber), and then...I had to move. Rats!

Thanks for any advice. And thanks for posting on the forum! I really appreciate it.

Roger, the Expat in Spain.
www.rogerlouismartinez.com

SMS-Auto-Fabric-1984-Toyota-FJ60-Tan-ticking-fabric.jpeg

SMS-Auto-Fabric-1984-Toyota-FJ60-Tan-ticking-fabric-close-up.jpeg

1984-FJ60-e1518636884390.jpg

I can't offer any help on your questions but thank you for sharing the link regarding fabrics.

I can't offer any help on your questions but thank you for sharing the link regarding fabrics.
You bet! It was the least I could do -- share information with this incredible forum.

Hey, you are in San Antonio!? I grew up around I10 and 1604. A pleasure to meet you.

Yeah, I am in San Antonio although I am not a 60 series owner. Just kind of lurk around in the 60's section at times. :)

Nice to meet you as well.

SMS has FJ62 fabric too!!!

z7s0zhy.jpg

Last edited:
Local guy quoted me 10 yards of fabric for the front and rear seats, total. Plus a little extra for door cards.
Got my quote and swatch back from SMS Fabrics I don't think it's that close to stock. Looks good, but not $109 a yard good.

SMS Fabric.jpg

Local guy quoted me 10 yards of fabric for the front and rear seats, total. Plus a little extra for door cards.
Got my quote and swatch back from SMS Fabrics I don't think it's that close to stock. Looks good, but not $109 a yard good.

View attachment 1659990

Well looks like someone needs to send them a sample but at 109 a yard that would be 1100 dollars just for the fabric to cover front and rear. Love the idea of the original fabric look but that's way too much to pay for it IMO.

Yeah, I'm not spending $1,100 on fabric. So, I'll save 'em the trouble and not request a sample.

The pricing quite high and in the end, I only order five yards -- just enough to do the fabric sections. It outrageously expensive, but if you want that original look, then it seems like the cost of admission. I'm pleased with the quality of the fabric. Brown vinyl for $69 is a too, too much. Once I have it professionally reupholstered this summer, I'll post pictures.

Thanks for your advice and chiming in.

Just wanted to report that SMS's dye lots for the FJ62/60 striped fabric "vary". Got a sample from them, was
spot on. Ponied up the $129/yard, 2 yards for front seats only.

What arrived was a darker gray (pic with sample on top, the 2yd roll below). SMS told me dye lots vary, and
sample was probably from earlier dye lot. Unfortunately, rolls from earlier lot gone.

Think all-in-all the fabric's darn close, and the current "darker" stock not and issue if you're doing all the cloth.
Since only doing fronts, I've returned and waiting for next batch to come up.

IMG_20200318_164359.jpg

Anyone have a final Amt of material needed for just rear bench seat? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom