Search for truth- Front Diff and Oil Pan Exposure Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep. If you need the horsepower for towing or just for grins, or need the extra room, or fake wood trim.. cruiser/LX. But it is bigger and on certain trails that can be a drawback.

Thanks- yeah, it's all put back together now and running perfectly. The question is do I trust it after this- I had planned to keep this for 20+ years and drive it to trails all over the country and down to baja Mexico at some point, now I'm not sure if I would really trust it in remote areas solo. Do I just throw on proper skids, a mild lift, sliders and bigger tires and call it a day? I assume I would be less likely to get stranded in a 200, or even a 100 just because of the extra engineering that goes into them. But I'm also trying to look at this scientifically and say ok- here's how this truck is built, here's how that truck is built and the differences.

It seems obvious to me that you want a Land Cruiser and are trying to justify it to yourself. If you have the means, get the Land Cruiser and never look back. Otherwise, you will always be wishing that you did. I always wanted one but couldn't afford or justify at the time I bought my 4Runner. 10 years later with some planning, I had the justification to have both (thanks to having the need for my teenage son to be driving and a great wife to support it).

Thanks- yeah, it's all put back together now and running perfectly. The question is do I trust it after this- I had planned to keep this for 20+ years and drive it to trails all over the country and down to baja Mexico at some point, now I'm not sure if I would really trust it in remote areas solo. Do I just throw on proper skids, a mild lift, sliders and bigger tires and call it a day? I assume I would be less likely to get stranded in a 200, or even a 100 just because of the extra engineering that goes into them. But I'm also trying to look at this scientifically and say ok- here's how this truck is built, here's how that truck is built and the differences.
I wont sweat it because it's a yota. You did the best and prevent more damage to your rig. If you plan to keep it, armored up and keep building it. T4R is not a bad rig. Off course if you move on, aim high and jump into LC realm. It's a different beast.

It seems obvious to me that you want a Land Cruiser and are trying to justify it to yourself. If you have the means, get the Land Cruiser and never look back. Otherwise, you will always be wishing that you did. I always wanted one but couldn't afford or justify at the time I bought my 4Runner. 10 years later with some planning, I had the justification to have both (thanks to having the need for my teenage son to be driving and a great wife to support it).
Thanks. That’s the thing though. I’m trying not to want a land cruiser. I’m basically trying to own a truck that can go to remote places without getting taken out by seemingly insignificant bumps and also be our family car. If that happens to be a cruiser so be it- if it’s my current truck with some aftermarket skids- ok fine. It’s certainly going to be a Toyota. That much I know.

Thanks. That’s the thing though. I’m trying not to want a land cruiser. I’m basically trying to own a truck that can go to remote places without getting taken out by seemingly insignificant bumps and also be our family car. If that happens to be a cruiser so be it- if it’s my current truck with some aftermarket skids- ok fine. It’s certainly going to be a Toyota. That much I know.
Skids are cheaper than a 200, but you'll enjoy the next 20 years more in a 200.

Yep. If you need the horsepower for towing or just for grins, or need the extra room, or fake wood trim.. cruiser/LX. But it is bigger and on certain trails that can be a drawback.

My wood is real!

Skids are cheaper than a 200, but you'll enjoy the next 20 years more in a 200.

Might be worth the switch to a 200 just to have an actual functioning tech forum too... I literally had to post in this 200 section to talk about the 4Runner lol... but I refuse to leave MUD for another forum... Looks like you guys have a lot of fun over here in 200 land.
:flipoff2:

My wood is real!
LX has beautiful REAL wood. LX interior is just beautiful and high quality.

LC has fake wood and more plain (cheaper) interior. For me, the only high quality thing in LC is the semi-aniline leather in 2016+ models. The rest of interior is forgettable...certainly not befitting a $90k vehicle.

LX has beautiful REAL wood. LX interior is just beautiful and high quality.

LC has fake wood and more plain (cheaper) interior. For me, the only high quality thing in LC is the semi-aniline leather in 2016+ models. The rest of interior is forgettable...certainly not befitting a $90k vehicle.

You remember the Lexus Birdseye Maple Burl? Even though its lacquered veneer its still one of my all time favorites. (disregard fugly black steering wheel combo)
We used to have an antique Italian armoire in that color. Bookmatched with fine inlays. Was nice, smelled amazing at around 200 years old still.
Cars had a moment of fine furniture interiors and im not mad about that. I do prefer modern cleanliness though.
Like LR does, and Rivian too. Both look great.

1642096105970.png

DSC00504.jpg
DSC00518.jpg
DSC00514.jpg

I know no one probably cares about art or furniture, but i know yall must like wood and craftsmanship LOL.

Last edited:
You remember the Lexus Birdseye Maple Burl? Even though its lacquered veneer its still one of my all time favorites. (disregard fugly black steering wheel combo)
We used to have an antique Italian armoire in that color. Bookmatched with fine inlays. Was nice, smelled amazing at around 200 years old still.
Cars had a moment of fine furniture interiors and im not mad about that. I do prefer modern cleanliness though.
Like LR does, and Rivian too. Both look great.

View attachment 2892427
View attachment 2892430View attachment 2892429View attachment 2892442

I know no one probably cares about art or furniture, but i know yall must like wood and craftsmanship LOL.
You hit the nail on the head here. I just don’t get exposed to the nuances of fine antique Italian furniture outside of the 200 community. Especially when it comes to Bookmatched with fine inlays.

My mind is made. I will try to swap for a 200. I’ll still post up measurements of my 5th gen diff brackets over the weekend though. Because reasons.

You hit the nail on the head here. I just don’t get exposed to the nuances of fine antique Italian furniture outside of the 200 community. Especially when it comes to Bookmatched with fine inlays.

My mind is made. I will try to swap for a 200. I’ll still post up measurements of my 5th gen diff brackets over the weekend though. Because reasons.

LOL YES SIR! Welcome aboard choo choo

In all seriousness, my opinion is that the 4R is a great offroading platform. Plenty of modding options, toyota reliability, relatively inexpensive repair and maintenance, and so on. You could easily make a few modifications and satisfy your requirements (remote travel and also family car).

Having said that, my experience is that once the seed is planted, it starts to chip away at your ability to appreciate the value of your current vehicle. Having an experience like yours will invariably make you less confident. Its just human nature. You may start to find reasons to be critical of the 4R, even when its not rational to do so.

But if you buy a 200, your experience should tell you that s*** happens. Having a 200 will not mean that you are immune to that.

So as soon as you pickup your 200, let us know and we can provide you with a list of insanely expensive mods that will need to be done to minimize your risk 😂

It used to be get a brand new TRD Pro or get a cruiser with 60k miles or so. At that level of financial equality it was a no brainer. Not sure how it still shakes out, but if it is still anything like that its a no brainer IMO.

Next time drive *on* the rocks ;)

Fix the 4Runner, and if you're worried add an aluminum skid plate instead of the plastic one. The plastic are really splash guards, designed to keep water from spraying up and to keep your vehicle from catching fire if you part in a field with tall grass. Even the LC skids are mediocre. (I mean, I still have my LC skids, but if you smacked a rock you could break one just the same as the 4R)

Next time drive *on* the rocks ;)

That may be one of the best takeaways. It's a often repeated tip from even professional drivers.

Having said that, my experience is that once the seed is planted, it starts to chip away at your ability to appreciate the value of your current vehicle. Having an experience like yours will invariably make you less confident. Its just human nature. You may start to find reasons to be critical of the 4R, even when its not rational to do so.
This happened to me before I even bought my first SUV. When I decided to start looking, I was shopping for Late model Monteros and 4Rs. After a few months of reading, I basically got the point where there was no way I was getting anything other than a 100/200 series.

This happened to me before I even bought my first SUV. When I decided to start looking, I was shopping for Late model Monteros and 4Rs. After a few months of reading, I basically got the point where there was no way I was getting anything other than a 100/200 series.

Yep. I went so far as to test drive half dozen 4Rs and a couple of Sequoias, knowing full well that I was just going through the motions.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback... I'll check in on this thread as things progress.

I'll take a look under the truck and post up pictures/measurements for a comparison to the 200 diff and "OEM skid plate" @bloc - and I'll shop it around a few dealers to see Edit* what they will offer and find out if they would be willing to buy me out (for something to think about and to better know what my situation looks like). I really don't know how that will go now that the Toyota service record is pretty tarnished... I mean 4,500 miles on the truck with all those repairs?! Maybe dealer don't care? I'm sure private party would tell me to go pound sand. We'll see what dealers say or notice when I send them my vin.

Last edited:
Wow... Pretty tarnished was an understatement- here's what the Toyota tech at the dealer put into the Toyota service record. It's pretty slanderous considering that the truck is running perfect and is all fixed up by that same dealer: "EXTENSIVE DAMAGE TO THE DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY AND UPPER OIL PAN FROM DIFFERENTIAL BEING KNOCKED INTO THE ENGINE. VEHICLE MAY ALSO HAVE INTERNAL ENGINE DAMAGE FROM THE IMPACT."

Can I get this removed from the history?! That's nuts and completely inaccurate. What should be my next step? Call the dealer service department manager and chew him out and have them correct it?

Wow... Pretty tarnished was an understatement- here's what the Toyota tech at the dealer put into the Toyota service record. It's pretty slanderous considering that the truck is running perfect and is all fixed up by that same dealer: "EXTENSIVE DAMAGE TO THE DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY AND UPPER OIL PAN FROM DIFFERENTIAL BEING KNOCKED INTO THE ENGINE. VEHICLE MAY ALSO HAVE INTERNAL ENGINE DAMAGE FROM THE IMPACT."

Can I get this removed from the history?! That's nuts and completely inaccurate. What should be my next step? Call the dealer service department manager and chew him out and have them correct it?
Yes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom