ScrappyJackalope 2nd gen 4runner Dana 44 sas build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Loved the custom
Screenshot_20221009-142835_Instagram.jpg
cab prerunner

Hey Folks, Well I yanked my perfectly good motor to put in my 22re performance motor sitting in garage. Guy who bought it was in desperite need since his 22re was toast. So worked out with some good timing for all. So hopefully this weekend It will be running again.

Next after that I will get my R150/r151f and 4.7 gears together and installed. I also need to run my harnesses for the Eaton elockers.

20221030_132925.jpg
20221030_162318.jpg

Getting ready to build my rear bumper. I picked up a new welder recently, Miller multimatic 220 and have finally been playing in the tig world. Long way to go but hope to incorporate so pretty tig welds into my rig at some point. I have a long way to go though so I may have to stick to MIG..haha

A little aluminum action..

20221115_184443.jpg

Mild steel, no fill.
IMG_20221111_202203_692.jpg

20221031_202039.jpg

Another aluminum
20221115_185004.jpg

Wish my welds looked that pretty.

especially for not knowing how. lol
I have done lots of mig and arc over the years, Feel pretty good there. But this 3 limb motor skills/coordination thing with tig welding adds a crazy level of problems for my old body..lol

I had done some tigging 25 years or so ago and it did't seem that hard then. :D

Looks super sweet and you did some nice work there! I like it.

What front hanger did you use? How many inches drop is it?
Length of rear shackle?
What front springs?
How much lift over stock did you get?
Do you have pics of the pitman arm/drag link/tie rod clearances?
Did you keep the stock steering box location?
How much up travel do you have?

Looks super sweet and you did some nice work there! I like it.

What front hanger did you use? How many inches drop is it?
Length of rear shackle?
What front springs?
How much lift over stock did you get?
Do you have pics of the pitman arm/drag link/tie rod clearances?
Did you keep the stock steering box location?
How much up travel do you have?
Hi there, a bunch of good questions. That was my goal to be a low SAS.

#1 allpro low profile hanger. 1 inch less hangdownnthen there normal hanger

#2 factory toyota solid axle shackle and OME solid axle 2" lift springs.

#3 guessing around 3" total

#4 I can take some.

#5 steering box in stock location and using Sky's 3/4" less drop than stock pitman arm.

#6. Right now around 3" up travel. Been working real well but will massage some things to get a little more. For instance I am using the chevy 1 ton drag link ends on my drag link and I am building another drag link with the 1 ton tie rod ends that should net me about another 5/8" uptravel in the drivers side. Those drag link ends have a great range of movement but are taller. Don't think I will have a issue with the tie rod ends.

More to come later.

Thanks. I looked back at the pics and saw some tie rod drag link pics. Tight fit. The tie rod goes under the leaf...thats pretty cool.

Dont really know how to word this but I'll give it a shot...Does it "ride on the bump stops" on spirited trail running?

Do you think in the grand scheme of things 3-4" up travel is too limiting? In smoothness and/or for when articulation is necessary? And as a disclaimer I dont mean purpose built rock crawling type articulation, just general wheeling requirements.

Just trying to get a better understanding of the limitations of minimal up travel. My current truck has a plethora of up travel, but my next build will likely be lower and probably based off a 4wd ifs frame which I understand can be challenging to keep low while also having the necessary clearance.

Thanks. I looked back at the pics and saw some tie rod drag link pics. Tight fit. The tie rod goes under the leaf...thats pretty cool.

Dont really know how to word this but I'll give it a shot...Does it "ride on the bump stops" on spirited trail running?

Do you think in the grand scheme of things 3-4" up travel is too limiting? In smoothness and/or for when articulation is necessary? And as a disclaimer I dont mean purpose built rock crawling type articulation, just general wheeling requirements.

Just trying to get a better understanding of the limitations of minimal up travel. My current truck has a plethora of up travel, but my next build will likely be lower and probably based off a 4wd ifs frame which I understand can be challenging to keep low while also having the necessary clearance.
It is a tighter fit than most right now but most are running way more than leaf springs should have IMO. But in reality even if I had all the room in the world I would not be having much more uptravel before being on bump stops.

Leaf spring only go so far up before you are just ruining them.

So far driving it I rarely hit bump stops as is. But I do on big G out type things. With my change to the smaller drag link ends, slightly shorter steering arm and smaller bump stops I think it will be about perfect. Basically now it is barely limiting and soon to be exactly where I need it.

I have run a couple in the past with similar clearances so that helped going in. This one was similar with only slightly more lift with a 3" spring and taller spring hanger than what I have right now, had lots of un used travel with bumps placed properly.
Screenshot_20220811-234737_Chrome.jpg

Man, that thing looks awesome!

That looks pretty factory-esque. Nice looking truck for sure. I'd love to find something that clean in the body department. In your area do you not have tire coverage rules and regulation? Aka flares and mudflaps.

I might have missed it, but is the only reason the wheels stick out so much is because of the wheel specs or do all 4 corners have spacers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom