SOLD SC: 1983 FJ40LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
North Augusta, South Carolina United States
Mileage
Color
Beige
Hey everyone. I am helping a local customer sell his 1983 FJ40LX that he imported last fall from Saudi Arabia. (Additionally he also has a 1982 that will be for sale in a separate thread.)

1983 FJ40LX
104,405 KMs
Asking 30K OBO

This the LX trim level with the unique “zebra stripe” interior, full floating rear axle, factory power steering, sliding rear windows, rear bench seat, factory A/C (currently inoperable)

I preformed a tune-up including:
-Plugs, wires, dizzy cap, rotor, timing set
- Valve adjust and new valve cover gasket
-PCV and grommet
-Fuel filter
-Thermostat
-Compression test: 135,135,135,130, 135,140

Additional new parts installed:
-Front and rear OEM bumpers
-OEM dash pad
-headliner
-OEM emblems
-Koito H4 headlights

Please see the link below for additional pictures and reach out to me with any questions.

Thanks!
JP

17E2D2FD-BFC7-4933-971C-A2977077E00D.jpeg
571D00EC-4FF5-45BD-8E64-E9D3A62EEE62.jpeg
1E5E3C3F-94D3-4824-8682-B1F502DD4EF7.jpeg
CFE96A3F-8277-4295-91A9-C7A31D6120C4.jpeg
1DE9856F-4040-47C9-95E2-0C50381FDE29.jpeg

Agreed having had 5 of these Saudi rigs come through the shop they are far superior to the shenanigans I’ve seen out of the Central and South American trucks. Plus I’m no expert on Saudi Arabia but I believe it’s a nice and “dry” place so low rust which is always a plus😎

This is very interesting. I'm guessing not many folks are familiar with the LX here in the US market? These trucks are very special and rare in my opinion and I'm sure other enthusiasts would agree. If this truck was in Australia and RHD, everyone would be fighting over it. That interior alone sells for big bucks $$ in other markets. Hope someone enjoys this truck. Very cool!

Hi,
With all due respect, I have serious questions whether this is an actual LX or just a later model fj40 with LX badges and interior seats/panels. An authentic Lx should have the 5 spd transmission and 3 wipers on front. In addition, the LX badges are placed incorrectly on the side aprons.

This may be better determined/clarified by the production number plate or VIN. I am not trying to be a jerk but these questions should be addressed if this is being sold as a LX. Otherwise, the value is significantly less.

Sincerely,
Blake

Last edited:
Hi,
With all due respect, I have serious questions whether this is an actual LX or just a later model fj40 with LX badges and interior seats/panels. An authentic Lx should have the 5 spd transmission and 3 wipers on front. In addition, the LX badges in the aprons are placed incorrectly on the side aprons.

This may be better determined/clarified by the production number plate or VIN. I am not trying to be a jerk but these questions should be addressed if this is being sold as a LX. Otherwise, the value is significantly less.

Sincerely,
Blake
Blake, it's definitely an authentic LX. I own a BJ40 LX. Not all had 5spd and no LHD have 3 wipers....only two. Also, if you were familiar with LXs, you would notice dead giveaways with Factory interior aspects that are only unique to LX. Besides the obvious....look at the grab handles in the rear, seat belt rear mounts. Plastic molding oem capture nuts.....I could go on and on. Definitely an LX

Hi,
With all due respect, I have serious questions whether this is an actual LX or just a later model fj40 with LX badges and interior seats/panels. An authentic Lx should have the 5 spd transmission and 3 wipers on front. In addition, the LX badges are placed incorrectly on the side aprons.

Sincerely,
Blake
Hi Blake. I appreciate the concerns you raise but I assure you this is a legitimate Middle East spec LX. Toyota did different things in different markets. As Scorch said above there are many telltale signs on the interior of LX specific cues.

Thanks!
JP

Thank you for the reply but there are too many discrepancies for me to feel comfortable. Just post the engine tag and get it over with.

The apron badges are still incorrectly placed on the driver side. Also, I cannot confirm or refute the LHD info related to wipers or 5 spd. However, why is the floor mat gray not brown, like a LX?

No offense, I just asked for clarification via vin or engine tag.

Just post a picture of the model tag under the engine bay and things will be much more clearly defined.

Thanks and good luck.

Now I have seen the lx emblem on the left and the right of the driver land cruiser emblem!? Who knows 🤦🏻🤷🏻‍♂️

However, in some markets the LHD does have the 3 wipers, please see the picture. I honestly don't know the history of your truck and did not mean to call anyone dishonest. I don't know what you have and I am not sure anyone else knows either.

07707C6F-6AAF-4C0C-9D97-280D86F6EF39.jpeg

Blake, it's definitely an authentic LX. I own a BJ40 LX. Not all had 5spd and no LHD have 3 wipers....only two. Also, if you were familiar with LXs, you would notice dead giveaways with Factory interior aspects that are only unique to LX. Besides the obvious....look at the grab handles in the rear, seat belt rear mounts. Plastic molding oem capture nuts.....I could go on and on. Definitely an LX
Please see below caption. Some LHD LXs have 3 wipers. I am not sure which markets do and which do not

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply but there are too many discrepancies for me to feel comfortable. Just post the engine tag and get it over with.

The apron badges are still incorrectly placed on the driver side. Also, I cannot confirm or refute the LHD info related to wipers or 5 spd. However, why is the floor mat gray not brown, like a LX?

No offense, I just asked for clarification via vin or engine tag.

Just post a picture of the model tag under the engine bay and things will be much more clearly defined.

Thanks and good luck.
Blake I appreciate your concerns and hope I can adequately address them in due time. However with that said honestly you may mean no offense but the tone of your posts is unflattering. I will be happy to post close-ups of the VIN when I am back in my shop on Monday. Hopefully that will provide clarity you seek.

Hello sir, I was honestly interested in buying your client's truck. The further the dialogue progresses, the less I am interested. One honest question, why did you fail to include the model number of the truck that is listed on the plate where the heater resides on a fj40?

That will clarify everything. I am not accusing. That is is common courtesy and common sense. I am still trying to verify the production model of the truck.

Lastly, a VIN of a Saudi Arabian truck would not provide any information related to the production model of the truck. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Blake you asked me for a picture of the VIN plate at 12am on a Friday evening. I informed you above I will happily provide that as soon as I am am able. I am not hiding anything here as you seem to be insinuating with each post. Thank you for your interest and concern.

JP

Sorry to beat a dead horse but the engine bay pictures are from 2 different trucks. See pic 38, it is not the same as the others. Different apron, air cleaner, radiator, and other items

826C1138-5CF7-4A35-99EE-8E4B9F877A3C.png

Hello sir, I was honestly interested in buying your client's truck. The further the dialogue progresses, the less I am interested. One honest question, why did you fail to include the model number of the truck that is listed on the plate where the heater resides on a fj40?

That will clarify everything. I am not accusing. That is is common courtesy and common sense. I am still trying to verify the production model of the truck.

Lastly, a VIN of a Saudi Arabian truck would not provide any information related to the production model of the truck. Thanks in advance
Hi Blake. Could you please educate us on exactly what code on the plate would convince you it's authentic. If you are seriously looking to invest in an LX, you are in good hands with JP. I would love to help you also if you are serious. PM me and I'll give you my phone number and I'd love to help you out to the best of my knowledge what to look for. Without writing a novel here, it seems as though you are focused on the wrong things. Google- ing pictures of LX's won't help. Honestly I'd love to help....these trucks are awesome and rare. JP is a great source

Sorry to beat a dead horse but the engine bay pictures are from 2 different trucks. See pic 38, it is not the same as the others.

View attachment 3275334
As I mentioned in this ad my client also has a 1982 FJ40 that he wishes to sell it appears I accidentally included one of those pictures in the album for the ‘83 LX. My apologies there, nothing nefarious going a simple mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom