Builds Saved from scrap - '97 LX450 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Agreed, looking good. My qpm is very nude.

Mounted and plumbed the QPM today -

I hate drilling holes in good sheet metal. Finished the bare steel off with a couple coats of POR-15.
PXL_20210710_190012358.jpg

Ended up going with the cone grommet. I's origianlly thought I could double up with the battery box grommet in the hole through the panel and the cone grommet to keep the weather out. Unfortunatey the cone grommet kept pushing the battery grommet out, so ended up wrapping the penetration in sliced 1/4" fuel line.
PXL_20210710_185959275.jpg

Umbilical under the truck. Looks like the grommet sealed pretty well and is keeping the lines centered. 2" heat shrink around 2x 2ga marine cables, 1x 3/8" nylon DOT air line, 2x 6mm air locker lines.
PXL_20210711_203120066.jpg

Ready to go. OBA Passed pressure test and lost 3psi in a closed system in an hour. I'll give that a pass - Way too many fittings to chase down for that small of a loss.

Still some room left for future expansion, too.
PXL_20210711_224933583.jpg

This looks great. Functional and efficient layouts like these make me go from 6 to midnight in a hurry. You got that engine in yet?😜🥃

This looks great. Functional and efficient layouts like these make me go from 6 to midnight in a hurry. You got that engine in yet?😜🥃
Getting towed to Torfab in the morning =)

Oh snap! It’s on then! What are your plans for the old engine? I assume you’re not sure yet if it can be salvaged?

Oh snap! It’s on then! What are your plans for the old engine? I assume you’re not sure yet if it can be salvaged?
It has a significant rod knock and hasn't been looked after at all. Leaking out of every orifice, both oil and coolant. Imagine if I tore it down I'd be both horrified and amazed that it was still running.

Boat anchor? lol.

It has a significant rod knock and hasn't been looked after at all. Leaking out of every orifice, both oil and coolant. Imagine if I tore it down I'd be both horrified and amazed that it was still running.

Boat anchor? lol.
I think your wife would love it as a permanent center-piece for your dining table.

I think your wife would love it as a permanent center-piece for your dining table.
I've seen an aluminum Ferrari block polished up with a glass top on it as a coffee table which was super cool - Price tag on that sucker was about the same as what I paid for my crate engine. I'm not sure my floor joists could stand up to the weight of a 1FZ block ... Oh, yeah, and my wife would probably murder me. I already have rim from her old Jag that I told her I was going to mount in the house somewhere because it looks cool. Her exact quote was "That can go in your XBox room" with an eye roll so big I'm surprised she didn't strain something. :hillbilly:

Just to prove to @FMC80 that the truck is finally going to the shop for an engine ...

PXL_20210712_165102917.jpg

That's some pretty epic stink bug when the winch is tugging down on the front bumper.

Engine and transmission are new and sitting in the shop, so at least those shouldn't throw any curveballs ... oh, other than no adapter existing for the combo. :rolleyes:

Gone are the days of owning a Chevy, swapping an engine and transmission I picked up down the street that fits perfectly (despite being from a wildly different vehicle and model year) in an evening so I could go racing the next day. I'll admit, when I look at the stuff available off the shelf for jeeps I get a little jealous.

Tor said the engine was one of the worst knocks he's ever heard. Dumpstered the whole thing. :rofl:

Just stumbled across your build. Well done!
I'm starting to feel like I didn't budget enough for my build..

Also, I've realized I live super close to you. Where did you say you were storing that V8 swap? :rofl:

Subscribed for more terrible money saving tips. :beer:

At this point I’m not sure if @Feldrian even has an 80…we’ve been awaiting this V8 swap for years now:flipoff2:
Engine and transmission are in; Torfab are wrapping up electrical and other plumbing. Probably another couple of weeks or so.

The suspense is killing me! Is the vehicle back in your possession? Any photos?
You, me, and the internet are waiting with bated breath. I try not to think about this cruiser while making love to my wife, but it's hard (so to speak).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom