Sand blasting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Catching Neutral

GOLD Star
Threads
Guys
took my hood, fenders, aprons bib to get sandblasted today. The guy who runs the operation has many years restoring vintage cars.
He advised me not to sandblast the hood and fenders as the metal might warp. I was advised to do an oven/ acid bath. This place doesn’t offer dustless blasting or other types of media. Will some of you weigh in on this? I would like to get this metal prepped for paint ASAP.
Thank you.

Guys
took my hood, fenders, aprons bib to get sandblasted today. The guy who runs the operation has many years restoring vintage cars.
He advised me not to sandblast the hood and fenders as the metal might warp. I was advised to do an oven/ acid bath. This place doesn’t offer dustless blasting or other types of media. Will some of you weigh in on this? I would like to get this metal prepped for paint ASAP.
Thank you.

Our painters didn’t want us to do an acid dip or use baking soda to blast because they’d had bad experiences. They recommended a blaster that they had experience with.

With as many contours that a 40 series hood has, id been shocked if even the guy on his first day would get it hot spotted enough to warp it before blowing through it.

I’ve heard that too, but I had all my panels, including hood and fenders, blasted on my previous restoration. No issues with warping. Was planning to do it again on my current build.

1. Got a quote to do the hood with the bake/acid bath. Would have to be sent out of state. $1500. 😂😂I
2. Found an experienced soda blaster but he will not prime the metal. So that’s out of the question.
3. I have a bead on a local dustless blaster. Uses water and amorphous silica. Supposedly no heat, no warping. We’ll see what the guy says when he calls me back.

Purpleaction

I have 2 small sandblasters for small parts and am building a larger 3rd one so I can do bigger projects. I have over the past 2 years blasted almost every part of the 40's. I have several lined up over the next year to do. I use fine contractor sand with low-medium pressure and nothing has ever warped. It takes a long time and a bunch of bags but the parts look great when they are done. I am in Niceville fl about an hour from you. If you ever get over this way come visit.

I'm not sure how you have a problem with baking soda and not sand... only 'real' issue I've seen with soda is the fact it is not real aggressive so in some cases, it doesn't strip worth a damn :( The other issue is it is super soft and basically considered a one shoot media(ie gets expensive)

They have had some reactions with their paint systems with residual acid or soda. The only media they are comfortable using is glass, walnut or plastic. The blaster they used uses a mix of plastic and walnut for sheet metal.

Thanks guys for the input. Feel free to keep adding as I learn something from every response.
And I’ll post up what I decide to do. Hopefully in the next day or two.

Sounds like they have an issue cleaning metal fully.

I used plain baking soda on rusted metal. I didn't notice any film. But I still wiped it down.

The one thing that I have learned about paint and bodywork is there are a million different methods and practices. I am positive that they don’t have any problems cleaning the metal. Their meticulousness has won classes at Amelia Island, Pebble Beach and Hershey.

Wet sand blasting with a pressure washer and #30 sand. Blasted my 45( 67 thick metal) took about 6 hours and $140 in sand! Worked very well, but messy and takes a while to get all the sand out of the nooks and crannies!! 3200 psi gas presure washer. I primed it ASAP to avoid flash rust!
27CEC5D9-2DA5-4FA7-805A-4FB9B001B78A.jpeg
4D5DBAF0-C313-4648-936C-124222CD8A3A.jpeg
D0659C5B-D0BC-4086-A10F-F0FF7623C33C.jpeg

Very cool. I would love to do it if I had suitable space.

So I am down to 3 possibilities.
1. Waiting to here from a dustless blaster ( I sent photos) to let me know if he thinks he can do it without damaging the metal.
2. Relatively local hot rod shop says they can do with a combination of sanding and media blasting. ( this could be a pricey option if they charge by the hour)
3. My brother says he can do it the old fashioned way with sanding. He doesn’t really want to do this.
I hope to have a solution NLT Saturday. I will keep you all posted

So the hot rod shop quoted me a decent price. They are the only one that has promised no warping.
They will sand and or media strip (15 lbs pressure), clean with PPG metal conditioning solution, and prime with PPG dp epoxy primer. I think my hood and fended are headed there next tueday.

Will do Macdaddy59. The shop is called Stripmasterinc and is located in Milton.

Hi All, When media blasting the tub, what did you do with the Vin plate. Remove it or cover it up.
I have everything ready to blast and I'm trying to decide if I should drill out the rivets and reinstall when done. or just try to cover it up. At this point I have done everything but the Tub and haven't had any problems with the sand blessing. Just made sure the guy doing the job doesn't point directly at the item and only hit's it at 45 degrees.

IMG_3474 - WEB PIC.jpg

if you decide to remove it toyota Matt can make you a brand new one check out his website
vintageteqparts.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom