Saginaw gear box clearance issue with greasable shackles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jarhead0802

SILVER Star
Threads

While correcting one of the many short-cut modification done by the previous owner, I noticed that the Saginaw power steering box frame placement seems a bit off i.e., top greasable shackle is blocked by the steering box. On my last rig, I installed a mini-truck steering box so my Saginaw experience is nil.

IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

As I just ordered an Old Man Emu suspension kit from Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters, anything I should be concerned with or is this Saginaw frame placement just fine?

Most of the Saginaw kits include a plate that goes between the box and the frame. Those plates have spacers on them. It looks like you have a plate but no spacers.

Edit: your last pic looks like it shows a spacer. Maybe the box is mounted a little low on the frame rail

Last edited:
Yeah, most of the time the box is mounted pretty much parallel with the frame. It's hard to tell since I haven't seen the rest of the set up but you could probably remount the box properly with a plate and fix it.

My Saginaw box is a bit too close to the shackle mount as well. I actually ground down the top of the shackle and cut the nut in half to get the proper clearance. Certainly not ideal, but it got the job done.

Depending on your clearance elsewhere, you may be able to space the box out a bit farther with some washers between the box and the frame.

That does look precariously tight, the OME shackle side plate is thicker and the hardware is bulkier too, if it fits it will be "close".

I'll have Bryce follow-up with you tomorrow, he was off today so we didn't get emails 100% caught up.

That box looks mounted really low
Both of the Saginaw converted ones I have the top mounting bolts are above the top of the frame
And the box is parralel with the frame
And zero clearance issues with the greasable shackles

What if we toss in a complimentary PS plate and cross-member tube kit :D

Id personally add some .250 wall tube sleeves to the inside of the frame rails as well as a plate to spread the load on the outside of the frame and run a Bolt thru and sandwich it all together to mount that steering gear. That looks dangerous the way it's mounted...

Several vendors sell a mount kit if you don't have the tools to cut and fab a proper mount.

That does look precariously tight, the OME shackle side plate is thicker and the hardware is bulkier too, if it fits it will be "close".

I'll have Bryce follow-up with you tomorrow, he was off today so we didn't get emails 100% caught up.
Thanks Kurt

The guys called and took care of my newest issue.

Id personally add some .250 wall tube sleeves to the inside of the frame rails as well as a plate to spread the load on the outside of the frame and run a Bolt thru and sandwich it all together to mount that steering gear. That looks dangerous the way it's mounted...

Several vendors sell a mount kit if you don't have the tools to cut and fab a proper mount.

Given how the previous owner handled his earlier modifications, I'm far from shocked. I appreciate the advice. With Kurt's team's call today, I'll take the rig to a 4X4 shop and have them unass the frame applying a new plate.

Just one more thing to handle

Kurt strikes again!:smokin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom