Safe to run FJ at 80+ mph? Going on long trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, this thread isn't just off track, it's completely derailed. So, LX - that's a heck of a road trip. Hope you stopped in NY for some good pizza or something? Heck of a drive, man.

I love long drives like that. My personal record (uh oh, here we go) is Idaho to Michigan alone, stopping only for gas and food. It's only 1100 miles, but had a great "feel" driving all night. Just never got sleepy, and as always I make excellent time at night with the big Hellas and high powered lights on empty freeways. Good tunes, munchies at hand, and just stopping on the shoulder to pee makes for a nice high average speed. The 80 is a surprisingly good road trip machine.

DougM

DougM

Rules are made to be broken, and laws are only suggestions.
Cheers,
Sean

Ok this thread has gone a little off but its all good. thank you.

Back on track...Alvarorb, NorCalDoug and I drove home from Cruise Moab at 80-85 mph. 900 miles in about 13 hours. The Cruisers were fine, but the drivers were pretty tired.

I drove my old 1976 FJ55 from Rapid City to Atlanta in 2 days (1590 miles). The truck was stock (manual steering) and was untested aside from the coolant, oil, etc change I had the previous owner setup with me paying prior to showing up on a plane to drive it home.

Was a great adventure. I averaged 65 mph the whole way and simply did not stop that often to make it sooner. It was hard, but I would do it again in a second.

I say go slow, keep the pace, and enjoy the ride.

FWIW I can pull 80-85 all day in my 91 in Atlanta traffic as long as I am not going up too big a hill :)

I drive 85 to 95 most highway miles all the time here in the UK, and have been known on quite a few occasions to blast it to 120 for a short while, but not tried that speed the last couple of weeks as I have now converted to LPG but will see what the results are when I pluck up courage.

LX_TREME said:
speed approximated 95-110mph.

I don't know what kind of tailwinds or octane booster you get, but I could never get my '97 much faster than 94-96 MPH, even when it was brand new, out the box with stock tires. :rolleyes:

Have hit 121mph per the gps in the 97, but of course it's a beater and could go up in flames at any moment. FWIW, the 121 was with the blower and me being not exactly me tipekal smurtniss.

Now you guys are gonna make me get out there and stand on it just to see what the top end actually is in my truck. :eek:

I once, in somewhat of an emergency situation, drove pretty fast down I-5 from the Bay Area to SoCal. Maybe 95+ for short stretches. In a 93. Darn near ran out of fuel - the impact on mileage caught me by surprise. Otherwise I never feel good above 80 these days in the LX in California, 70 in the LC on Queensland's narrower, shoulderless highways.

Personal record for straight shot was form Salt Lake city to Seattle, straight shot, 895 miles, 3 stops for fuel and two stops to pee, 13.5 hours and averaged 70 or so miles per hour when on the road. Of course this is all speedo incorrect data so a little faster than what the speedo said and a little bit longer.
Just give yourself lots of room to stop and if you start nodding off pull over and take a nap, No amount of hurying will make up for the lost time if you get in a wreck.
Dave

I frequently drove my 91 at 80 mph. It actually had a nice happy spot at about 78 mph. But we don't have trees or a lot of game and we have a lot of flat wide open roads. In the 91 speed did not matter for mileage. Whether it was floored or half way to the floor mileage was always about the same. Speed limit is 75 but you'd never get pulled over unless going over 85.

Our 94 gets significantly worse gas mileage at 80mph than at 70mph. However our traffic sort of pushes speed up even when I try to drive under the speed limit.

My friend drives extremely slow. When we are on a long trip like going to Cruise Moab or something he always gets better mileage than I do. He's really anal about mileage. In his 97 he has a scanner hooked up to monitor his mileage. He's recently been getting over 20 mpg out of a stock 80. I hate his little mileage contests with me.

How are your tires? Your knuckle bearings? Shocks? TREs?

What kind of traffic? Anyone else in the vehicle to distract you?

Other than being willing to drive way over the legal speed limit, how is your road judgment?

Do you have any experience driving SUVs at high rates of speed?

tarbe said:
How are your tires? Your knuckle bearings? Shocks? TREs?

What kind of traffic? Anyone else in the vehicle to distract you?

Other than being willing to drive way over the legal speed limit, how is your road judgment?

Do you have any experience driving SUVs at high rates of speed?

Depending where you are this in not WAY OVER the legal speed limit. 80mph is only 5 mph over the speed limit in many western states.

ginericfj80 said:
Depending where you are this in not WAY OVER the legal speed limit. 80mph is only 5 mph over the speed limit in many western states.

The man is in NEW YORK and the round trip is 1,600 miles so I'm guessing the max legal speed he will see is 70. Mostly it will be lower than that...

Cruiserdrew said:
Back on track...Alvarorb, NorCalDoug and I drove home from Cruise Moab at 80-85 mph. 900 miles in about 13 hours. The Cruisers were fine, but the drivers were pretty tired.
I remember every shaky mile. ;)
I had a couple out of balance rear tires -- they must've spun on the wheel at some point on one of the runs.

At 78mph, the rig would vibrate like crazy. At 84 it would start to calm down. I spent most of the time on the road going 75mph, get way far behind Cruiserdrew and Alvarorb, then speeding up to 90mph to catch up. Mileage wasn't great, but it was better than shaking the whole time :)

On long trips, I typically lock the cruise between 75mph and 80mph. No problems.

It is MPH here in the UK ya know, think we invented it.... LOL but honestly my 96 4.5 does 120+ on the clock, mind you I have new rear tyres,

juts to recap, I will swap to petrol power tomorrow and take my camera and snap a few pics of my speedo and rev counter, I probably will have my gps turned on to check and take pics of what the speed is,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom