Safe to run FJ at 80+ mph? Going on long trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will be going on a long trip (1600 miles) and would like to know how the 80 handles out on the highway in terms of speed and stability. I have never really taken my 80 up to speed since it stays in locally and i never really get it over 55 or so. I will also be doing some highspeed drving 65-85 MPH. Since I will be doing hway driving, is it ok to jump the psi in the tires to about 35-40psi?? I could maybe get a little more mpg?? Will travelling that fast cause any accereated wear on the 4wd system or any other components. Car has 145k miles and i just changed the plugs and filters and will do the oil tomorrow. Input would be great

What year?

I assume that its a 92 as his name is 92FJ.

I drive 80 mph all the time with the 94 80.
I drove 80+ with my 87 and 88 FJ. THe 88 has the same motor as the 92 so you will have no problems going 80+ in any FJ wagon as long as your tires can handle it.

92FJ said:
I will be going on a long trip (1600 miles) and would like to know how the 80 handles out on the highway in terms of speed and stability. I have never really taken my 80 up to speed since it stays in locally and i never really get it over 55 or so. I will also be doing some highspeed drving 65-85 MPH. Since I will be doing hway driving, is it ok to jump the psi in the tires to about 35-40psi?? I could maybe get a little more mpg?? Will travelling that fast cause any accereated wear on the 4wd system or any other components. Car has 145k miles and i just changed the plugs and filters and will do the oil tomorrow. Input would be great

sorry have to ask, why the rush? you get the worst mpg at those speeds. 65 is fine, but why 85?

Rich said:
You are slipping Dan.

:confused:

I'm sure there is a veiled inuendo there and I can't see it ....(unusual for me :flipoff2: ) :doh:

:doh: Nevermind....userID then.... :flipoff2:

Its a 92. I just bought a 2006 Mustang GT loaded up with every option and got a great deal for it. Minus $2000 of invoice which costed me $31,500 Its Silver with red interior. I cant wait. Hehe... Local delaers are selling for sticker and no less. I also wanted to test my Landcruiser on the hwy so that is why I am bringing it.

Correction.
I drive 84 mph as the cops will give tickets when you drive 10 or 11 over in many or most states.
Bet this is old info so you may want to drive 1 under the speedlimit so you can SAVE gas and put a traffic cop out of a job.

To the task at hand:

Exceeding 75 MPH is illegal so that is a moot point.

The published maximum sustained crusing speed for an FZJ80 is 80mph. I would imagine that the same applies to an FJ80 but I do not have the evidence to support that at hand.

how many squirrels in the cage?

oh, and btw, don't expect any sympathy from us when your F@rd :rolleyes: falls apart in a couple of months... :D

My '97 has seen many miles at highway speeds 80 mph sustained cross-country with the occasional 85-90 mph to get around someone. That's with 315's. Gas milage still sucks at any speed but went up abpout 2MPG after the con-fer roof rack was removed. :rolleyes:

Try not to take evasive action at these speeds. :eek:

Get a good radar/laser detector and keep an eye on your mirror..... :cool:

Put larger tyres on, don't regear or install the speedo gear so your speedo will be way off.
My 87 fj60 had 33x10.50x15 tyres on it. That made the speedo 18% off (if I remember right :rolleyes: ) Anyhow...
You speedo will be way off so you YOUR FJ won't know its going faster than it is.
Set your CC to 75mph so the FJ thinks its going 75 mph, You will be going (in my case) 88 mph but the FJ thinks its 75.
Will the FJ know its going 88mph?
If you go 80mph and its 18% off you will be going 94 mph.
85=100
Maybe this is one way to get a 3fe FJ80 to go faster :flipoff2:

92FJ said:
I will be going on a long trip (1600 miles) and would like to know how the 80 handles out on the highway in terms of speed and stability.
First of all let me ask you, why do you need to drive fast? I understand sometimes you get pretty sick and tired of long trip.Wish you get there ASAP.
Well back August ' 00 I test drove the 1 FZ 3000 miles each way from Los Angeles to New York City then back again NYC- LA ( Total 6000 miles coast to coast ) and it took about 3 days and 3 night with gas cost about $398.00 each way.YES just the GAS and speed approximated 95-110mph.But now with the gas $3buks a gallon, think twice my friend :)

Have good and safe trip.

Exceeding 75 MPH is illegal so that is a moot point.

Always impressed by people who speak well.. 99% of folks would have said mood or mute, CD's no sucker!! As a side note, you're like mister law in the forums today:) I don't like going fast anymore so I mostly agree with you here, doing over 80 in a 6,500 pound SUV is sorta like going rock crawling in your Mustang...

However, you would get beat down doing 75 along I-10 and you'd have old people in Motorhomes towing cars passing you so I understand going 85 in those cases...

I guess I am "mister law" because my mother is an attorney and has been in continuous private practice for over 48 years. She scared the hell out of me early and often and as a result I have a healthy respect for the law. Maybe that's why I can spell "moot"....:D

I guess I am "mister law" because my mother is an attorney and has been in continuous private practice for over 48 years.

Well, I won't hold it againt you... I still like ya!! My folks are both nurses and you don't see me scared I'm going to die of some illness.... Okay I gotta go take my anti-biotics, allergy pills, something blue for my sore back, a Bayer to prevent heart troubles and my B12 injection!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom