Builds Rutherford Clappy III and Associated Ramblings... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD

I have a duality within me that wages war on itself. I simultaneously admit to being a pack rat and at the same time admit to harboring keen dislike of hoarders of good parts. What I mean by that is I have a habit of seeing value in all random bits of LC randomness, often times planting the seeds of my 5th or 6th next project based on a couple good used parts. The other side of said duality is a loathing of those who snatch up and stockpile "stuff" without a clear need or purpose for it. I have seen this much more in the 40 and 60 Series side of things, but I digress. To cut to the chase...I have this 1FZ-FE and A343 that I pulled out of my 1996 80 that this project is based on. I had planned to rebuild it as a fun project with the intent of slapping it in another 80, maybe one with a blown engine and thus purchased right, but when I think about the fact that I already have a 5.3 Vortec in a crate waiting for a project...why occupy value storage space with this one. So, it is with all that in mind that I have chosen to pass the take engine/tranny on.

What is included? The rig has 338,000 miles on the clock and was dealer maintained past the 280,000 mile mark. After that, I don't know, but I am pretty sure this is the original engine and tranny. The pan has been resealed at some point and I have not dropped it to measure the bottom end clearances. I have not plans to crack the pair open as all my resources are going into the diesel swap to try and get most of the way there ahead of the heat arriving. The 1FZ, never smoked, doesnt seem to burn any oil, always started right up, and has good power. IT does have an oil pump that leaks like a Harley Davidson, which is why a drip pan of Oilsorb lived under it when parked. So what are my simple thoughts? I think this is an excellent rebuild candidate. It is tired, but is in otherwise great shape as a 100% viable core. NOTE: I have removed the harness and AC compressor, which I need for parts of my swap. That adds to the "good running core" classification I have given it. If you wanted to rebuild or replace the oil pump, I bet it could go in another 80 as is and run for a long time.

105.JPG

106.JPG

102.JPG

103.JPG

104.JPG

Last edited:
SOLD

While prepping the stock powertrain for removal, I did my best to cap and seal all the fluid passages. I order these caps off Amazon in big assorted bags and they are cheap, easy, and do a great job of keeping things in/out.

The whole smash is ready to go to a new home, so here is my pitch. I need this gone and will offer it up to the masses. Make me a fair offer. I am not inclined to give it away due to the known state of it and the fact that I could still rebuild it and sell for much much more. That said, I don't need this thing around. If I were to make an honest offering of advice, I would say figure out what it would cost to refresh it to your needs and make an offer on it considering it a good running core. I will post in the Classified section as well.

I also have a NIB master gasket kit, a new blue fan clutch, and the factory trans cooler.

107.JPG

108.JPG

109.JPG

Still in the plastic, never opened.
110.JPG

installed about 1000 miles ago.
111.jpg

Last edited:
777 is my guess! This is a way cool build!

I'll guess 903 lbs.

Edit: I was thinking it was the transfer case too. I'd like to change my guess to 753lbs!
Added to the list.

I dropped the T-Case, gears, and rebuild kit off at Lloyd's today. Again, those guys are super cool and really into this build as well. I will be sure to run it by there when done. If you need manual transmission, transfer case, or gear work done in the Tucson area, give them a ring. They DO NOT do automatics, and are the only ones in town that specialize in manuals. My t-case will get the same treatment the XMSN got. Full disassembly, inspection, hot tanked, and reassembled with all the new goodies. If you have read up on the 3.1 low range gears, you will know that they require some manual clearance work inside the case to clear the larger reduction gear. I was nervous about just anyone doing that work, and was relieved to hear that they have done these before and know exactly what needs to be done. I should have it back next week, and once mated to the XMSN, I will be doing a full dry fit of the drive line; engine, tranny, t-case, and driveshafts.

IMG_9638.JPG

Speaking of marrying the powertrain, I finally got my new clutch. I ended going with a 13" LUK RepSet "stocker". I am not running too much over stock power levels, and I really don't want a heavy clutch pedal ruining the easy driving nature of the way it performed in the donor truck, so a close to stock spec clutch it is. It dang near strains my back to pick the thing up, so if you get into one of these be ready. I don't know what each part weighs, but the shipping weight was 98.55lbs, which kinda explains the $80 shipping charge.

IMG_9643.JPG

Friction disc
IMG_9645.JPG

Shiny new pressure plate.
IMG_9646.JPG

Need a clutch for a Dodge Ram 2500/3500? This one is free. Come get it! SCRAPPED
IMG_9647.JPG

Last edited:
I’m real curious… my googling of fuzzy results makes me think a wet 6bt and nv4500 weigh 50-150lbs more than a wet 1fz and trans…
I will be able to tell you much more accurately very soon.

I called in another favor of a few hours help from @D_Web, and Bob became an uncle. Complete 1FZ-FE/A343/HF2AV powertrain on the hook and out of the way. View attachment 3242444

Thanks again, Benno.
View attachment 3242445

Let's do something fun. Post your guesses for what this weighs. It is a complete 1FZ-FE minus intake with the stock A343F XMSN. I removed the T-Case in order to get a true weight of the motor/tranny to compare against the 6BT/NV4500. This way I can buy springs once.

Post your guesses on weight and I will figure out something fun or worth while to give the one who gets closest. Closest or closest without going over. Yall decide. When we have a good number of guesses, I'll post the pic of the scale reading. Prize will be your choice of a Land Cruiser t-shirt from CruiserGear or one of Joey's cool posters from Wit's End. I like Joey's stuff and have one of the 80 Series front axle posters. @NLXTACY

1. @Somebodyelse5 803lb
2. @cruzer971 753lb
3. @jkl72-40 777lb

View attachment 3242446

Tools and carnage were all over the place. Randomly, that is the third HF2AV t-case I have. Why do you ask? Because I have a weakness for spares.
View attachment 3242447

The calm after the storm. I had to dump degreaser on the floor and skate around on a pair of brillo pads to get all the schmegma off the floor. I tried using a mop, but gave up and moved to the hose.
View attachment 3242448

Anymore guesses on the weight of the 1FZ/A343? I will announce a winner soon.

Last edited:
Anymore guesses on the weight of the 1FZ/A343? I will announce a winner soon.
Complete 80 series 1fz, 558lbs.

A343 dry with converter, I’m guessing 183lbs.

Got around to getting the clutch installed yesterday, and I am super thankful to have an engine stand that rotates around by hand crank. I was able to lower the flywheel in place and drop the bolts in with relative ease.
IMG_9655.JPG

Red Loctite and 105lbft of torque.
IMG_9654.JPG

Next up was to get the XMSN married to the engine. I have to admit, the NV4500 weighs more than I thought it did. Of course, weights are posted on the web, must have just forgatten about it.
IMG_9659.JPG

After some frustrating attempts to engage the splines, I realized they were just a tight fit and used the 8 bolts in a star pattern to draw it all down. I really don't like doing that because that's how you snap off ears and crack castings...but what are you gunna do?
1677038819458.png

The first dry fit is done and I am pretty pumped to hit this point. Much more work ahead, in fact, I am not even to the halfway point yet.
69863512070__7FFE5847-AF87-4C41-B710-28056DE5033B.JPG

Not 100% I have the motor mounts correct left to right....but it looks pretty centered.
IMG_9665.JPG

I had no idea I was gunna be that tight on the starter. The LUK Repset clutch I installed moves the start ring on the flywheel forward and thus moves the starter forward about 10mm.
IMG_9666.JPG

This is a known issue on these swaps. I just had to see it for myself. I will be cutting and relocating the round tubular crossmember to clear the 6BT oil pan.
IMG_9664.JPG

I vote stock wheels aluminum with painted dishes like the collectors editions but maybe different color than the dark gray.

I vote stock wheels aluminum with painted dishes like the collectors editions but maybe different color than the dark gray.
Painted dishes?

Like this?
1677206971023.png

OK, let's do this. There were 4 guesses, so you have a 25% chance of winning, right? From the original post:

Let's do something fun. Post your guesses for what this weighs. It is a complete 1FZ-FE minus intake with the stock A343F XMSN. I removed the T-Case in order to get a true weight of the motor/tranny to compare against the 6BT/NV4500. This way I can buy springs once.

Post your guesses on weight and I will figure out something fun or worth while to give the one who gets closest. Closest or closest without going over. Yall decide. When we have a good number of guesses, I'll post the pic of the scale reading. Prize will be your choice of a Land Cruiser t-shirt from CruiserGear or one of Joey's cool posters from Wit's End. I like Joey's stuff and have one of the 80 Series front axle posters. @NLXTACY

The game was that you guessed the weight of the 1FZ-FE/A343 combo as shown in the pic below.

64.JPG

The guesses are posted here:

1. @Somebodyelse5 803lb
2. @cruzer971 753lb
3. @jkl72-40 777lb
4. @peacesells63 743lb

I got no response on the closest vs closest without going over question, so I am going to say it is closest to the actual(although it doesn't matter here). That puts @Somebodyelse5 as the winner being only 8lbs off the mark. So, @Somebodyelse5, I am leaving it to you to tell me if you want a shirt or a poster from Wit's End.

63.JPG

We will do the same with the Cummins/NV4500.

I call shenanigans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom