Rusty under body (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

steveola

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
Does nobody know of anybody that makes body mounts for an FJ40 1/1979. Mine is way more rusty than I originally thought. What can I say, I complete noob at this and after buying sight unseen have discovered is worse than thought. I bought a butt load of body parts from CCOT to fix but after getting into it, I probably should have just bought an Aqualu tub and cowl assembly. Anyway, once I get the body off I can see how truly bad it is. I have thought about trying to sell all the body parts and just buying a tub and just chalking it up to live and learn. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Does nobody know of anybody that makes body mounts for an FJ40 1/1979. Mine is way more rusty than I originally thought. What can I say, I complete noob at this and after buying sight unseen have discovered is worse than thought. I bought a butt load of body parts from CCOT to fix but after getting into it, I probably should have just bought an Aqualu tub and cowl assembly. Anyway, once I get the body off I can see how truly bad it is. I have thought about trying to sell all the body parts and just buying a tub and just chalking it up to live and learn. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well, either way you go, you probably will not lose much. Parts, new and old, have value. Body mounts can be found here.

I do know those Aqula tubs are real nice if installed correct.

SOR has pretty much everything, but shipping is very expensive. They have a very detailed online catalog, but they will have almost all the parts you need most of the time. (You will have the part within the week though)

body mounts? the rubber isolators or the steel pieces attached to the tub?

Well, either way you go, you probably will not lose much. Parts, new and old, have value. Body mounts can be found here.

I do know those Aqula tubs are real nice if installed correct.
I will check with SOR about body mounts. I have purchased from them before. Very helpful and great service. I spoke with Aqualu a few weeks ago and got a shipping quote. They are very nice as well.

body mounts? the rubber isolators or the steel pieces attached to the tub?
The steel parts are what I’m looking for. If I stick with this original tub I will probably have to fab something.

SOR has pretty much everything, but shipping is very expensive. They have a very detailed online catalog, but they will have almost all the parts you need most of the time. (You will have the part within the week though)
SOR is great. They helped me with front brake lines back in the fall. They seem very knowledgeable and really helped me out. I will definitely give them a call.

Energy Suspension has a great poly body kit for 40s. I'd get them before SOR's.

The steel parts are what I’m looking for. If I stick with this original tub I will probably have to fab something.

that would be the big question, to stick with the tub or abandon it. until it is removed you won't know for sure.

that would be the big question, to stick with the tub or abandon it. until it is removed you won't know for sure.
Very true, but from what I can see now it isn’t looking good on keeping it. I think it will hinge on what the rear deb top looks like after the top comes off.

Rust never sleeps - go with the aluminum. Then you will only have to chase it down in the doors, hardtop, and frame.

my aluminum cruiser project 1.jpeg

Rust never sleeps - go with the aluminum. Then you will only have to chase it down in the doors, hardtop, and frame.

View attachment 2691179
That’s kind of what I’m starting to think. I don’t want to get this 40 built painted only to have rust bubbles a year after completion. I’m really starting to think Aquala tub is the way to go.

That’s kind of what I’m starting to think. I don’t want to get this 40 built painted only to have rust bubbles a year after completion. I’m really starting to think Aquala tub is the way to go.
I think most of us would do it if we had more $ and time, as a frame off is very expensive and time consuming. If you are already doing a frame off tho, it seems like the way to go. I’m definitely gonna do it in the future some day. Never have to worry about welding body panels ever again.

I think most of us would do it if we had more $ and time, as a frame off is very expensive and time consuming. If you are already doing a frame off tho, it seems like the way to go. I’m definitely gonna do it in the future some day. Never have to worry about welding body panels ever again.
It does seem like the way to go. But it’s going to really strain the old wallet. I have to sell all the body parts I have first. I may see if I can list them on the forum classified.I’ll have to check. I may just concentrate on the chassis in the meantime. I’m not I a big rush. It’s going to be a complete resto frame up so I’m prepared to spend a lot of time to get it right.

+1 on Energy Suspension body mount kit👍

@steveola ,

As you are asking for advise,
If you had to chalk it up at live and learn the purchase you have just made I would like to prevent for you the following step you are about to take.

If you think or have the stubborn illusion that by piecing together a FJ40 with Alu tub etc in order to save money that would be a second boo boo that you would be about to commit.
Or you really have to like to do the resto etc that would be another thing, consider then if you really have all the skills to bring it to the finish, because stopping half way and trying to abandon the ship by selling it of half finished and getting your money back that way would be the third boo boo, but with buying a new tub and going to do a frame off it would be better to stop here !!

Looking for a 40 that's ready and sound, yes check it out (not unseen like you bought the first one) or see if experienced local mud members can help you with finding a good one.
That will save you a lot of money, time and aggravation. Again if you like to build it and spend a sxxt load of money more then buying a good sound and drivable 40 go ahead.

Don't be blinded by the high prices the 40's go for right now, you will be there soon and much more !

Last edited:

i was in this exact position 4 months ago. I bought a bondo queen and mistakenly thought I could patch her back and be on the road in a few months. Once I started tearing in to the rust, it was pervasive and I quickly realized I needed a new tub.
I purchased an Aqualu and will be installing it this month.

As for the mounts, I had to replace one as well as a rear sill brace and it was not too hard (other than cutting the button rivets- that was not fun).

it boils down to what you want out of the vehicle. I want a solid driver and dirt road toy. I removed the tub, fixed all bad parts, POR frame and replaced all brake parts. That’s as far as I’m going right now. If you are doing a true frame off, you may want to keep it as original as possible for resale. You’ll likely be over $30k when it’s all done. I’m going to be over $20k and not touching the motor and I’m able to do the painting myself. Good luck!

I went with Aqualu for my rebuild. Best decision I ever made. While there is the clique of mudders who are hardcore purists, if you're not looking for top $$$ for resale, aluminum is the only way to go. Why fight rust for the rest of your or your Cruiser's life. I kept my original cowl only because there was a very small amount of rust to repair. If you do decide to go with Aqualu, learn from my original mistake and don't use the tranny cover Aqualu provides, instead take the time and extra effort to fabricate the original transmission tunnel to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom