Rubber hood stoppers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ello all,

Does anyone know the size (dimensions) of the rubber hood stoppers. I need a couple but after seeing the prices for some used cracked ones , I thought maybe I might check other options.

Thanks

I gave it a try...

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3123.JPG

thanks for the quick response,

I was looking at slo cruisers, but the parts are on back order.

I got some from SOR. The rubber seems a lot stiffer.

I'll bet if those suppliers are out of the game, an extrusion could be made with Scrapdaddys profile. @DoubleNickels can you do rubber profiles?

Thanks for keeping me in mind, Lambcrusher.

Via an extrusion process, that'd be easy and cheap to manufacture. However you'd still need to cut in the mounting hole features after the extrusion is complete. You're better off making a two-part mold and filling with some form of RTV rubber or LSR (liquid silicone rubber). I have experience in this and it's easy to dial-in the durometer (nerd speak for the squishiness of rubber). The mold could be 3D printed in production quality for about $200, with enough cavities to do 4-8 at a time. The material itself is cheap.

I'm rolling on another product right now (the FJ55 handle backing pieces) but I'm idle while the tooling is being made. If you (or @scrapdaddy ) can provide more detailed photos of that stopper, showing views of the countersunk hole, I could get rolling.

As always I'll need to evaluate cost. What were SLO and $OR charging for a set or per piece?

Just checked with SLO. That pricing seems fair for injection molded parts, i.e. what you'd need to charge to recoup your investment and maybe make a buck.

Not sure I want to step on other vendors' toes, especially folks like SLO who've gone out of their way to provide the pig sty with NLA parts. @snowteller , did you ping SLO to see how long until the parts are available?

With a part in-hand it'd be extremely simple to reverse engineer. Looking at pictures as reference I've created this:

HOOD BUMPER.JPG

I can use this rough part to get an estimate on cost to manufacture. Again the cheapest route (resulting in the cheapest end product) would be to cast using a room-temperature mix like RTV or LSR. However, before I move I'd like to know if SLO plans to keep producing or if he/she is done making this part for the foreseeable future.

Hey everyone, an update. I just heard back from John (SLO CRUISERS) and he does indeed have some in stock. He's updating the website to reflect inventory.

So... yep. Glad to return to this topic if/when SLO stops molding them. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom