Rough Idle/Sputtering/CEL/Misfire = Coil pack problems (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks! I replaced the spark plugs first and had no idea where to go from there. Code read cylinder 4 misfire. Replaced the coil pack and we're good! I am broke as hell at the moment so this thread and this article saved my skin this month.

Another quick fix solved with this forum! I had a very rough idle and sputtering engine that felt like a driveline issue, however once code P0302 was thrown. I looked it up and found the cylinder 2 misfire and popped in a new coil pack (Duralast from Autozone) and the code went away and trucks purrs again. I thought it was strange that the ABS and VSC lights came on as well when the CEL was on too. Regardless, they all went away with a new coil pack. FYI, the truck has 187k miles and this is the first coil pack replacement. I'm very curious to find out what causes it to fail, if it is heat, vibration, ??

Just had #7 coil pack go out while in Eugene for the Thanksgiving holiday (228k). Autozone lifetime warranty @ $87.99 and 10-minutes got the 2UZ-FE humming again.

Just replaced my first coil pack at 281,000. I replaced the spark plugs about two weeks ago-ran just fine and no codes. Then it's running rough but didn't show a check engine light and didn't show a code until a few more key cycles in the garage. Got a Po307 but still no check engine light. Ordered two coils from Toyota of Dallas-replaced number 7 truck runs smooth as normal-spare is in the glove box.

Thanks to MUD, guys like NMuz100, and the search button I find my answers 99% of the time!

i have weird idle on cold start and surging when puttering away from the house in the morning
runs fine when warm
no codes

any ideas?

thanks

Just diagnosed this on our 2001 this weekend - wife called Thursday night and thought there was something wrong with the transmission (I thought maybe rear diff or possible transfer case, doh), odd vibration/drivetrain roughness taking off from and coming to a stop, with other intermittent roughness. I drove it a couple times around the block and found it disappeared after the truck warmed up, but no apparent relationship to speed, or 4Lo/Hi or locked centre diff, other than the starting and stopping. Came out an hour later (after some dinner) to pop out to the local drug store and noticed an idle dip/rough idle as soon as I dropped it into reverse, pop it back into park and it high idled and went away, into reverse and same thing, gone by the time I left the drug store to come home - having experienced a coil pack failure on our 4 cylinder turbo Passat, I knew the symptoms immediately. Drove it to work the next day and it was intermittently misfiring like crazy.

Phoned around and could only find jobber replacements (and $105 Cdn vs. $176 at the dealer delivered the following week). It took me longer to get my code reader to work with my ipod than it did to replace the coil - P305.

Someone said in another thread check #5 cylinder first.

Thanks again for assembling this FAQ.

John

With almost 290K miles, (with original plugs and coils) the mileage took a nosedive this past year (no codes thrown) and I thought it just might be the fuel here in Romania since we moved. Since it was a beautiful day I pulled all the plugs and coils. All the plugs looked perfect, but 4 of the coils had some kind of cracking along with cracking in all the boots. For now I just cleaned the coils with solvent and the boots with detergent and coated them with dielectric grease. Huge improvement in running. New ones on order... So, another mode of failure shown....

IMG_20160528_141140.jpg

Just wanted to thank this forum. I had the same problem today, rough running seemed like misfire and flashing cel light. Pulled code p0303 and bought a coil from autozone. Installed it and runs like new. Had to get the Duralast one as Denso required a wait. I will get a Denso and use the Duralast as a spare for the next time.

1999 Landcruiser, 250k miles

With almost 290K miles, (with original plugs and coils) the mileage took a nosedive this past year (no codes thrown) and I thought it just might be the fuel here in Romania since we moved. Since it was a beautiful day I pulled all the plugs and coils. All the plugs looked perfect, but 4 of the coils had some kind of cracking along with cracking in all the boots. For now I just cleaned the coils with solvent and the boots with detergent and coated them with dielectric grease. Huge improvement in running. New ones on order... So, another mode of failure shown....

Thats crazy millage for the 1st coil pack replacement. At 190k ii have replaced almost every one and #5 twice.

Great thread! You all save me a great deal of time misdiagnosing this issue and money. Thank you very much!

My LX470 was run good and no problem till I want put new spark plugs and new ignition coils. With new spark plugs was runing good but week later I put new coils it show misfire in #2,#5,#8. I cheked spark plugs,looks fine,I put old coils on 2,5,8 back and its still misfire. I checked all plugs and connections many times. Any idea why its start misfire after I install new spark plugs and coils? Thank you

I am having this problem. Thanks for the thread. What tools are needed to replace the coil?

Another diagnostic is when you think you have identified the bad coil, pull the spark plug. If it is gummed up, wet or smelling of gas you likely have the correct cylinder identified.

Many thanks for this thread and the others linked to in this thread. Just changed a coil in the #3 cylinder.

Is there any reason to hold onto the old (bad) coil?

Cheers!

194k miles. Changed coil packs and plugs. Might've been the first time the plugs were touched. Some of them seemed to be very loose. Idk. Easy in / easy out. I used a 3/8" drive ratchet, 12" extension, swivel, then a 3" extension, then a plug socket with a magnet in it. I didn't have any problems pulling and installing #7. I dropped one bracket and that let the AC line move enough to pull and install the coil pack. Then pulled the bracket between #3 and #5.

Plug comparison:

p2305237010-4.jpg

1999 LX470 just hit 200K this last month (and 50 miles later, replaced the radiator) and so I decided to tackle the plugs and fuel filter. Been busy, so ordered the parts and was looking at next week to replace them. Road trip today, and coming home, CEL comes on. Stop and get diagnosed. Misfire #8. Reading possible coil issue, babied it home.

However, about halfway of a 120 mile return trip, CEL goes off. And now that I am home, it is off and not running rough (initally thought I had a flat). Any ideas? Getting ready to replace the plugs with Denso OEM plugs and now concerned coil replacements are in order. Much appreciated the info on this thread. Pretty handy with automotive issues, so the plugs aren't much of a challenge.

Anyone have issues with these Densos (SK20R11) and then coil problems? Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom