ROTM: project 87 ( under construction) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

got a lil more done today:clap: I may need to build a step for the young lady :princess:cause this rig is going to set up a lil. Took some mock up pics to. Some of the body techs are amazed at the transformation, I dont think they really thought I was serious about acually hacking up a perfectly good truck!:hillbilly: Take a look at the middle pic and input on the two brackets toward the front of the frame . Do I need to remove these? they dont interfere w/anything thus far.
100_0993.jpg
100_0998.jpg
100_1000.jpg

now I need to get some longer shackles & shocks for the rear as it is about 3 inches lower now. Looks as if I'll have about 10 or so more inches of travel in the front vs the rear.
100_1011.jpg
100_1008.jpg
100_1010.jpg

Well didnt get as much done as I would have liked to this weekend:cool: but heres what I did get done. The driver side is completa besides the caliper, steering rods in place, new pitman arm on, and mocked up the steering stabilizer.
100_1027.jpg
100_1031.jpg
100_1036.jpg

Finally!!!! this truck is drivable:steer: just need to take it to the driveshaft shop cause the drive angle is so high!?:bang: I don't know if a simple square drive shaft will do.
100_1043.jpg
100_1045.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good!

How does it drive? Specifically: how does the steering feel? Does it have any unexpected steering issues? (wobbles, shimmy, instability, etc...) I'm not so worried about the ride on mine, but before cutting my IFS off I want to make sure that I won't screw up the steering somehow.

Yeah: I'd say that some driveshaft work is in order. Either that or a cut and turn or something.

Dan

Looks good!

How does it drive? Specifically: how does the steering feel? Does it have any unexpected steering issues? (wobbles, shimmy, instability, etc...) I'm not so worried about the ride on mine, but before cutting my IFS off I want to make sure that I won't screw up the steering somehow.

Yeah: I'd say that some driveshaft work is in order. Either that or a cut and turn or something.

Dan

Well the steering is tight, smooth, and a lot more responsive than the wore out ifs setup! Just getting it straight is the trick. with my steering wheel straight my pass. wheel is a lil turned out.

Well now that the front is done, I have to lift the rear to that same height. So I'm going to get a 5" rear kit to match, with help from WABFAB. He's here in Tuscaloosa and great to deal with. More pics coming soon!:cheers:

Thanks alot! I appreciate the complement from one who's got one of the sweetest rigs on the forum. I've read your buildup several times.:cheers:

Uhh? well I got my front drive shaft built today. Used the double cardigan joint from the 85 runner donor, had alot more flex than the one from the IFS setup. no pics though? camera wont focus!:doh: its 6mo old? Anyway had to ream out the bolt holes a little, capped off the inner, filled w/grease works great at full droop and all:clap:. hHad the truck on the lift tires off the ground, started err up, put it in 4hi & 1st gear, all tires rollin, no binding. Cut truck off, set it down to check compression clearance, about 5":clap: Well I'm a happy sob right now, truck is comming along nicely. Get in to back out turn the key and nothing happens, I mean nothing no power, no click, no radio, nothing!:confused: fuel is on a toggle it's on! Batt. is good 900 CCA. checked all fuses, cables in the truck & every thing is good? Dunno:frown::deadhorse:

Wow that is one ugly truck. :flipoff2::bounce2: Just kidding. looks good! Did you mount the axle in the angle that it sat on the donor? thinking of caster-angles vs pinion-angle looks like you could almost need a cut'n turn on that front end..:meh: Idunno.. if it works it works i guess..

:cheers:

Thanks :cheers:, Yeah! it sits just as it did under the runner. I belive that the hight differance has a lil somthing to do with the angle also. The rear sits about 4" lower than the front, so we"ll see when I lift the rear soon.

:wrench::wrench:I'm thinking about four linking the rear of project 87. Got some 3/4" hiem joints and some dom 2" .120 wall tube just wondering if any one has built there own. Any pics or write ups would help.:wrench::wrench::steer:

Here are some updates on my truck. I have sense put new fenders on it, I ordered some chromoly from TG to replace the broken stockers, putting a real dash in, and am making some half doors w/ a write up on the doors
Picture 003.jpg
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom