Rolled my 81. I need your help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Island Moose said:
Why drop $20K+ on a fully loaded luxury 4x4 only to beat the crap out of it in the bush? .
very good point. if he wants a wheeling rig then buy a beater and drive a civic as a daily driver... in this case he has $23,000 + what ever he sells the rolled truck for so he will be coming out ahead of what he has into the truck. by a decent 73 or 80 for $23,000 and keep the rolled rig for a wheeling rig.
why not?

Nick if you end up parting it out let me know I need an altenator bad

Ryan

crushers said:
by a decent 73 or 80 for $23,000 and keep the rolled rig for a wheeling rig.
why not?

2 car are the better option .. one only for wheeling ( hard wheeling for sure ) and one only for city driving ..

how about if you get yourself a gasser 80 series and then do the swap when you get time. in the interim you can fit all your goodies on it.

semlin said:
how about if you get yourself a gasser 80 series and then do the swap when you get time. in the interim you can fit all your goodies on it.

That's what I told him! The problem he has here is space. His wrecked HDJ81 is parked on the street! If he had a shop he might be convinced to do that and THAT would be a sweet rig!

cruiser_guy said:
That's what I told him! The problem he has here is space. His wrecked HDJ81 is parked on the street! If he had a shop he might be convinced to do that and THAT would be a sweet rig!

Yup...after getting a ride in Sheldon's 80 with the 1HD-T that he swapped in, I agree, it's a sweet ride. Lots of power, economy, and comfortable for long trips.

In Nick's case, he seems to wheel pretty hard. I think Wayne's idea is excellent. An economical car for DD duty and a hard core wheeler. I bet he'd come out ahead that way. Only problem is insurance, which might kill the idea. But it's a really good suggestion.

Here's another suggestion. It belongs to a good, trustworthy friend of mine who can't affort to keep it.

1991 HD81 LANDCRUISER VX LIMITED RIGHT HAND DRIVE. ,4.2 liter turbo Diesel, 4-SPD AUTOMATIC W/O.D., "TJM" AUSTRAILIAN FRONT ALUM. BUMPER., 8.5" IPF RALLY 2 POSITION DRVING LIGHTS(DIM & BRIGHT). HEADLIGHT SPRAYERS(STD).,GRAY CLOTH INTERIOR., POWER SUN ROOF,ALTIMETER,COMPASS, NEW PIONEER CD PLAYER. RANCHO SUSPENSION LIFT,I THINK IT'S A 2 1/2" IN REAR AND 2" IN FRONT. RS9000 ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS ALL AROUND. NEW ACL BOTTOM END BEARINGS AT 158,000 KM. NOW AT 159,000 KM'S.NEW FRONT BRAKE ROTORS,NEW EXHAUST THE TIMING BELT WAS DONE AT 52,000KM AND AGAIN AT 134,000KM. I DON'T WANT TO SELL THIS TRUCK BUT I NEED TO. VERY GOOD CONDITION ,ALTHOUGH THERE ARE 2 SPOTS OF SURFACE RUST. ELECTRIC LOCKERS DON'T WORK YET, BUT I HOPE TO GET TO LOOKING AT THAT AFTER HOLIDAYS. $23,000 FIRM 250-567-3805(LES). VANDERHOOF B.C. VERY GOOD CONDTION.
Mvc-310s.jpg
Mvc-311s.jpg

That does look like a pretty nice truck.

Stone said:
Yup...after getting a ride in Sheldon's 80 with the 1HD-T that he swapped in, I agree, it's a sweet ride. Lots of power, economy, and comfortable for long trips.

I just don't see the point of engine swaps if you live in Canada. If you live in the USA (its the only way you can get a diesel in an '80), or you just *can't stand* RHD, or you have a huge wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket, or lots and lots of hours with nothing better to do, then fine.

But its a LOT of work (just ask Herb about his 1HZ swap), and you end up paying probably *more* than you would with a factory JDM.

All that just so people don't crack "look, the steering wheel is on the wrong side!" jokes?

Herb wwill be the first to admit he could have had a JDM81 for much cheaper than the swap he did but then Herb loves to tincher in the garage. mind you he would have been done a lot quicker if he didn't have to rebuild the tranny and engine for the second time...

Sheldon will also admit easily that a JDM81 is cheaper than doing a HDT swap.

I've come to believe pretty strongly that virtually 100% of the cruiser nuts on this forum would be just fine with RHD if they gave it a bit of time. It's such a non issue - hard to explain but in a cruiser, it means nothing. Actually I prefer it. I know this has been discussed to death, but anyone hesitating on RHD, well, don't, it's not even a tiny deal after about 10 minutes. IF you are one of the few who CAN'T adjust, you WILL know after only a few mins of driving. Just my observation. And I spend ALL DAY, or most of it, driving.... (most of it in LHD cars).

And for full disclosure, I was pretty dubious about RHD myself, but took the plunge, have not regretted it, ever (other than fixing it, LOL, but I'm back in love with the truck again....) All is good now. :) Well, almost all. I still feel an urge to modify.

I just don't see the point of engine swaps if you live in Canada. If you live in the USA (its the only way you can get a diesel in an '80), or you just *can't stand* RHD, or you have a huge wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket, or lots and lots of hours with nothing better to do, then fine.

But its a LOT of work (just ask Herb about his 1HZ swap), and you end up paying probably *more* than you would with a factory JDM.

All that just so people don't crack "look, the steering wheel is on the wrong side!" jokes?

As Sheldon has previously stated in a post...one big reason for him to have done this swap is because G&S sells diesel engines to people who are going to do that swap themselves, and he wanted first hand knowledge.

In some places RHD would be downright dangerous if you evenr intend to move out of your own way and ahead of the numerous farm tractors and trucks.

In some places RHD would be downright dangerous if you evenr intend to move out of your own way and ahead of the numerous farm tractors and trucks.

It would only be downright dangerous if you're foolish about it. All you have to do is slow down and put a little space between you and the slow moving vehicle in order to gain better perspective of the oncoming lane, and then you can speed up and pass. :rolleyes:

I've been driving a RHD for three years with no problems, and I've always felt that the people who are dilligent with a LHD vehicle will be as equally dilligent with a RHD one. People who are wreckless and foolish will be dangerous regardless of which side of the vehicle they drive in.

OK, let me rephrase. There are certain driving conditions when you would be reasonably safe overtaking while driving a LHD, and you would be plain dangerous doing the same with a RHD. The drivers position in the car definately has something to do with the driving position of the car on the road.
Numerous drivers seem to getting used to the disadvantageous position, but n,ot everybody can get away with it.
If I were to spend a fortune on a fancy cruiser I would spend a couple more grands to have the wheel on the correct side.

I think the conversion is a hell of a lot more than a couple of grand....

a PROPER LHD conversion is huge money and realisticly needed a donor truck.
the only time i was frustrated driving a RHD on LHD roads is last summer when i needed to over take a farm tractor pulling 2 wagons of hay heading up hill. the extra wide wagons and loads made it very dangerous manouver and even in a LHD vehicle this is trouble.
in the end i waited till we crested the hill then made the pass safely...
driving RHD is no more dangerous than LHD in the hands of someone that can drive.
give a punk ass kid or a drunk the keys for a HP LHD and see how long it take for them to rack it up...
the are those also that do not have the common sense to drive, period. RHD or LHD they should not be behind the wheel.
if someone doesn't feel comfortable driving a RHD unit on LHD roads then i feel they should buy a LHD unit and be done with it. there are a couple on mud that have had the conversion done, it is not cheap and they are happy, it is their money so why should we give them a hard time? i don't see the need but each to their own...

I'm from Australia myself and have lived over here in the USA for 15 or so years. I go home every 6 months or so and driving a RHD, or LHD vehicle is no problem. The only issue I have is when I'm about to make a turn, and I use the windscreen wiper instead of the blinker!!:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom