Rims rims and more rims (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So had a hard time digesting all the technical discussions regarding rims, offset etc

I currently have 15 inch and wanted to swap to 16 inch to fit my almost brand new 275 x 70 x 16 tires. Current ones are road tires and perform horrible on sand (well they are just as bad on road tbh brand called crystal first time i ever heard of them).

I have tried 2 16inch rims so far and they dont fit due to the steering arm (picture below)

Do i need to find rims with mounting bolts closer to car so the rim edges have enough clearance ? Or should i find a solution with 15 inch rims?
I am living in Egypt so options are very limited

20231122_175504.jpg

When I changed the rims on my 82 FJ 60 , I wanted to go with bigger rims. I measured the back spacing on my original rim and used that as a guide. After searching on the net. I couldn't find any larger rims with the same back spacing except for 16" steelies that were too narrow . I stayed with 15" . If you can't find rims with the correct back spacing, wheel spacers are also an option .

Last edited:
When I changed the rims on my 82 FJ 60 , I wanted to go with bigger rims. I measured the back spacing on my original rim and used that as a guide. After searching on the net. I couldn't find any larger rims with the same back spacing except for 16" steelies that were too narrow . I stayed with 15" . If you can't find rims with the correct back spacing, wheel spacers are also an option .
That makes sense, this measurement trick will help thanks!
So i meed backspacing like the originals and a large negative offset to achieve that

I think i found the rims that can work, apparently the older Nissan patrol's had a similar issue with rims and steering arm. Measuring from studs to back is almost the same like the stock ones.
Will go have a look in the next couple of days and update the thread.

Just curious, are you buying new wheels to fit your tires you have sitting around?

I went up to 17" TRD Taco rims, TRD 17-In. Matte Black - Alloy Wheel - https://autoparts.toyota.com/products/product/trd-17-in-matte-black-alloy-wheel-ptr2035110bk
There are a ton of choices for tire sizing for 17" rims. No spacers needed and fit inside the fenders with no problem. There is also 3 color choices, black, bronze and the gray that I got.

View attachment 3491543
I went in this direction too!!!! Rims were very reasonable at $130 (i think) and Tire options open all the way up!!! As mentioned....direct fit too!!! And for me itll fit even nicer after the Coil conversion!!!

1701014641764.png

1701014705853.png

I went up to 17" TRD Taco rims, TRD 17-In. Matte Black - Alloy Wheel - https://autoparts.toyota.com/products/product/trd-17-in-matte-black-alloy-wheel-ptr2035110bk
There are a ton of choices for tire sizing for 17" rims. No spacers needed and fit inside the fenders with no problem. There is also 3 color choices, black, bronze and the gray that I got.

View attachment 3491543
That looks amazing! Absolutly love the rims ....
Which i had 17 inch tires :D would have been great.

Just curious, are you buying new wheels to fit your tires you have sitting around?
Yes, I have the tires already brand new (1 year old) 275 x 70 x 16 Road venture Kumho.
16 Inch are standard, 15 inch in Egypt are much rarer with far fewer brand options. Which is why the previous owner got road tires not even AT for the rig.

So had a hard time digesting all the technical discussions regarding rims, offset etc

you basically just have to calculate your wheel specs just to get to the magic number of 3.5 inch backspace (3.5 backspace is the required backspace for fj60 front axles, it will be different on different trucks). Lots of calculators out there.

you can either get to 3.5 backspace by using a:
8 inch wheel with -22 offset
9 inch wleel with -38 offset
9.5 inch wheel with -44 offset.

Wheel spacers subtract offset from the wheel. So if you had an 8 inch wheel with 0 offset, you could add a 1 inch (25mm) wheel spacer and get -25mm offset, which would give you about 3.52 inches backspace

Last edited:
you basically just have to calculate your wheel specs just to get to the magic number of 3.5 inch backspace. Lots of calculators out there.

Wheel spacers subtract offset from the wheel. So if you had an 8 inch wheel with 0 offset, you could add a 1 inch (25mm) wheel spacer and get -25mm offset, which would give you about 3.52 inches backspace
That info was SUPER helpful and simplistic, love it!

you basically just have to calculate your wheel specs just to get to the magic number of 3.5 inch backspace (3.5 backspace is the required backspace for fj60 front axles, it will be different on different trucks). Lots of calculators out there.

That is exactly what i needed !!! Thank you very much :)

So looking at the tundra brake mod that extends each side by ~1.5" or so. Does the goal backspace become 5" to keep the centerline of the tire with the pivot of the knuckle?

So looking at the tundra brake mod that extends each side by ~1.5" or so. Does the goal backspace become 5" to keep the centerline of the tire with the pivot of the knuckle?
Im unfamiliar with that mod. Does it extend the wheel mounting surface by 1.5 inches out?

Im unfamiliar with that mod. Does it extend the wheel mounting surface by 1.5 inches out?

Looks like it extends a bit more 1 5/8" with the IFS hubs that get used. Curious as im trying to match width with an FF80 rear axle

Looks like it extends a bit more 1 5/8" with the IFS hubs that get used. Curious as im trying to match width with an FF80 rear axle
Ahh okay so the WMS would change, but in relation to the stock hub, it would be like you were adding a 1.625 inch wheel spacer, so from stock youd just take your wheel width and calculate the offset of the wheel you were looking at, so say 0 offset wheel for example, and then subtract 41 mm. So your hypothetical offset would be like -41 from the factory wms and that would give you 2.8 inches of backspacing

where it gets weird is you could in theory run a +16 or so offset and get back to 3.5 inches of backspacing... I THINK haha

I think this stuff is right, its been a long day and math aint mathing like it used to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom