Builds RICCI the HJ75RP gets touched by a Yankee (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning afternoon or night; wherever you're reading from. This will be a build thread of my 1985 HJ75RP-MRQ after being imported to the US.

Warning* there will be alot of Tom foolery, whole-a$$ing, custom fabrication and much more. Probably a dog pic here or there too if you're into that kind of thing.

Annnnyway.

I purchased the ol mate in Queensland February 2021 and received it in SLC August, 2021.

We opted to drive it the 1500 miles back home to Wisconsin because you know, that would be fun.

We had to stop and see Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters, as well as the museum.

IMG_20210814_112548_364.jpg

Following the trip home the old lady and I agreed 2 things.

I need to redesign the suspension, and it needs more power.

I still decided that there will be no major mods this year, drive it how it is and have fun the old school way.

This winter will bring festivities such as a spooly boi, maybe building a bumper or 3 etc.

I'm a Fabricator by day so anything you see in this thread was likely made by yours truly.

So for now, some (finally now that prices dropped) cheap plywood and some trailer vents will do the trick. I'm going to make a window so she can bite every tree branch her little heart desires. I'm hoping this will work well for her regardless of the Temps or weather. Keep in mind it will be under the RTT as well.

20210922_121815.jpg

20210922_121824.jpg

Tidy vehicle well done. Can't wait to help spend all your money ,turbo ,suspension, seats the list go's on. First job take off sun visors and spray your favourite rust proof through screw holes.

Tidy vehicle well done. Can't wait to help spend all your money ,turbo ,suspension, seats the list go's on. First job take off sun visors and spray your favourite rust proof through screw holes.
Thank you!

Great advise. Never thought about that. I assume you're implying this to prolong the lifespan of the windscreen frame?

Rep just replaced mine $1000 plus paint. I had been pumping lanolin into mine so the bottom was good but the top rusted. Yours looks really good and from pics rust free. Must have been in outback Queensland.

Rep just replaced mine $1000 plus paint. I had been pumping lanolin into mine so the bottom was good but the top rusted. Yours looks really good and from pics rust free. Must have been in outback Queensland.
Merlwood, QLD to be specific.

It's been repainted some time ago. There's a couple tiny rust bubbles on each door, and a few small holes in the floorpans. New floors will go in this winter.

Ricci served me well for the summer. I was able to learn what I liked and didn't like, what needs maintenance and what is just fine.

The transfer case needs to be rebuilt, as the rear output shaft bearing is well past due. Glow plugs don't work at all, which got quite entertaining once Temps dropped below 50°F (sorry Mr. Starter motor)

But MAINLY what it needs, is a gosh dang turbo! So, without further ado here begins the turbo section of my build, starting with sharing some summer fun pictures!

20211017_104150.jpg

20210905_105112.jpg

20210906_082627.jpg

Though my friend Joe would give me hell for using penetrating oil (I have extreme doubt it does much, if anything at all) I figured with the age and part availability I didn't want to risk anything snapping. I managed to pull the manifold heat shields, manifold, and all 6 glow plugs out without any issues.

20211108_141929.jpg

20211108_200655.jpg

20211108_200725.jpg

20211108_200733.jpg

20211108_200746.jpg

20211110_211009.jpg

Compression test came out 400-460 across the board. Not the best but pretty consistent for its age. Nothing alarming in my book, good enough!

A coolant pressure test identified a small leak I developed at the end of the season, which is just the upper hose. No dramas, I have 2 spares.

Next up is using my CNC laser Engraver to start cutting cardboard for prototyping the turbo manifold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom