Builds Reviving "the wife's" 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How much more power would you guess?
30hp or more. Since it's making the head more efficient it would not cause a fuel mileage loss either. Adventure offroad does it on a regular basis. U could send it to them to do it. I do it myself whenever I have a head off my vehicle. Last time I did it, it was on my v6 camry. At about 3k rpms the motor really woke up significantly and no other engine mods were needed. I would not be surprised if it put u in 2uz territory power wise.

Last edited:
So the block is torn down. The shop showed me how the rod bearings were hammered from detonation. Those will be replaced. They were pretty convinced that my knock sensors weren’t working.

I also have a tab broken off from the float on the oil level sender, but that’s old. @slow95z do you have one you could send? The front knock sensor too?

35ED2704-E765-4EE1-95B8-D8D5EBE2049B.jpeg

Yup but expect shipping delays with florence about to slam us. Sending you a message.

Yesterday the engine shop told me the rework would total about $1100 and I kinda freaked out. I don’t have that laying around...

Today I received an email from the AF saying I have a travel pay issue pending. I looked into it and may have $800 or so coming that I didn’t expect. God has his ways!

Yesterday the engine shop told me the rework would total about $1100 and I kinda freaked out. I don’t have that laying around...

Today I received an email from the AF saying I have a travel pay issue pending. I looked into it and may have $800 or so coming that I didn’t expect. God has his ways!

Good things do happen to good people!

no reason not to delete it,when i decide to do the HG on mine the port at the back of the head for the ear will be plugged on both sides.
i may fill it with a block filler or just tap and plug.

Well, it’s been a while waiting for some cash flow, but with a nice Xmas bonus I was able to pay for the recent engine rework and can get the injectors cleaned.

Since we don’t smog check here, tell me why NOT to delete the EGR system.

I think the egr is why US trucks blow head gaskets. The row 1fz's don't seem to have that much issue. Pretty easy to block off and even put a resistor in the egr plug to stop having the cel.

69LC, you have the patience of a saint.
Good luck with rebuild 2.0.

Dumping the EGR is really quite easy. I used a piece of scrap aluminum to make a port cover for the intake manifold and made a sandwich from a piece of steel flat stock (.06thk)and another chunk of aluminum plate to back it up to block off the head port. 5K resistor soldered into the wires for the temp sensor to fool the ECU. The temp sensor is still in the intake as a convenient plug.

Last edited:
Well the injector harness checked out with no burnt wires, but then the polar vortex shifted and I’m limited to body work in the basement.

I sprayed the welded up RF fender and will touch up the radiator support and the lower grill trim panel as well.

I kept the swamper (for my 40) inside just in case of cold weather I could have a project trail grooving it.

00161E52-50D1-478A-9F23-1D50E5B3E121.jpeg

5C40F796-9E2A-4AE9-888A-54B2B3EB409E.jpeg

Just read through your whole thread. Glad you're a believer and are patiently working your way through the process.

Well the weather finally broke so I’m back at the truck revival.

Recently it’s been with painting front end parts in the basement, setting mouse traps repeatedly inside the truck and finally some wrenching.

I had to fight a lot of rusted bolts but just got the old rusted radiator support off. I’m really glad the donor parts came with cleaner bolts!

AA52DD67-07F0-42B1-808E-C5ED39241A68.jpeg

020BB9BA-3216-4522-B868-694ECA79C12B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom