H55 reverse lights -- RESOLVED (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDIT:

while waiting for my drive lines to be modified... so i'm wrapping up the wiring portion of my H55 swap - figured out the reverse lights:

i've read this thread numerous times - even printed a copy and brought it under the truck with me
Yet Another A440 to H55 Swap With Pics

and this thread as well
Out with the Semi-Old A440-In with the H55

they're both spot on!

using a test light - i'm looking for the HOT lead that would suggest i've at least got a wire with voltage to send to the reverse switch.

RESOLUTION: this is not a switched ground circuit like other toyota wiring...so I was on the right track looking for a hot lead - which is the blue lead coming into the white 2 wire connector like other posts suggest.

tip from someone was that if the wipers don't work - that's the tell. check the wiper fuse...it's the same circuit as the reverse lights. sure enough - fuse blown. popped in a new fuse and bam - test light works on the blue lead. CLOSER!!

Now that I have power - the rest is easy....send voltage down the yellow/green lead to the reverse switch. push transmission into reverse = closing the circuit...sending power back forward to the original transmission wiring harness.

the yellow/red coming FROM the reverse switch gets connected to the red/back that is the 3rd wire on the big blue connector..this lead sends juice to the rear lights.

i think the final FIX here is that you have to get all the leads cut and jumpered to their final destination before you start tinkering and adding power to the circuit. i had not cut the wires yet because I was timid and not 100% sure what i was doing...so my guess is that the first time I attempted to make the new connections - i probably sent juice down one lead and putting the truck in reverse jumped the hot lead to ground and popped the fuse.

upload_2018-5-1_18-27-47.png

IMG_8947.JPG

View attachment 1691286

Last edited:
hey gang.

waiting for my drive lines to be modified... so i'm wrapping up the wiring portion of my H55 swap...looking for help with reverse lights.

i've read this thread numerous times - even printed a copy and brought it under the truck with me
Yet Another A440 to H55 Swap With Pics

and this thread as well
Out with the Semi-Old A440-In with the H55

first conundrum: these 2 connectors out of my A440 neutral safety
View attachment 1691286
for the life of me i can't find the mate to the white connector. the post above from @Mr Technical suggests this 2 wire plug from the old NSS goes into the new H55 reverse switch...but it doesnt fit my truck...crawling around under the truck I can't find the other side of this connector. I have not ripped out any old wiring...so this has me stumped.

second conundrum.

using a test light - i'm looking for any HOT lead that would suggest i've at least got a wire with voltage to send to the reverse switch...and i'm not finding it.

key is on - i have juice....truck starts, so doesn't it stand to reason that one of these leads that we're jumpering to the reverse light switch would be a hot lead?
View attachment 1691295

call me crazy but it seems like we're just trying to send juice to the reverse switch - so when we're in any gear but reverse the switch is open. pop into reverse - close the circuit...send power down the line toward the backup lights.

so my testing and t-shooting would suggest i'm looking for a hot lead...

anyone have any pearls of wisdom?

thanks!
paul

This might help in some way ?

How to Make SST 09817-16011 ( Special Service Tool ) For H55F Back-UP Switch Use & more ......

@Paul DiNapoli so I got my reverse lights working yesterday (only took me five years after my manual swap) and after reading your thread a few times I am struggling to understand why you need to use any wires other then the blue power feed and the red/black striped wire that goes to the reverse lights? Is it just to be able to reuse the stock connector? If so that's fine I'm just trying to understand.
The schematic in the FSM doesn't have anything other then the blue and red/black wires with "reverse switch" between them.

79A66B06-4094-424A-A13F-DA4F4098FBC9.jpeg

i'd have to think about this for a bit and massage the grey matter (i think i'm a lot older than you and I am starting to suffer from CRS syndrome) . you'll get it too sooner or later.

if i recall correctly - the reverse lights come on via switched HOT - so when you drop the trans into reverse - you're connecting the circuit to send power down the line to the lights...so yeah - I was trying to tap into the original plugs that would have been used when it had the automatic in there.

correct me if i'm wrong...but the blue wire is the hot wire...so that gets mapped to one side of the reverse switch - then the other wire coming out of the reverse switch would get connected to the wire which would have gone into a plug sending the juice to the lights.

i'd have to crawl under there and rethink it through. in fact looking at my pic above it makes me cringe...I'd like to get under there and clean stuff up better - heat shrink wrap all the connections and bundle it all up neater.

that pic sure looks ugly!

Ok, so we did the same thing just with different plugs (My Dodge transmission uses a standard Metricpack connection so I had no need to retain the Toyota connector). And don't worry, I can't remember wiring details after I'm away from a project either. :)

It might be nice it for someone like @RAGINGMATT who loves Toyota electrical parts to make a kit with a new body-side connector and the appropriate pins so one doesn't have to splice wires to reuse a connector.

Ok, so we did the same thing just with different plugs (My Dodge transmission uses a standard Metricpack connection so I had no need to retain the Toyota connector). And don't worry, I can't remember wiring details after I'm away from a project either. :)

It might be nice it for someone like @RAGINGMATT who loves Toyota electrical parts to make a kit with a new body-side connector and the appropriate pins so one doesn't have to splice wires to reuse a connector.
You can pretty easily remove the pins from almost any of the OEM connectors, crimp new pins/terminals of the appropriate type onto the wire ends, and reinsert into the new/used connector housing. All it takes is a few special tools (ground down tips on small screwdrivers, etc.) - for a lot of the connectors I've harvested and reused I use the end of those flat, stiff steel reinforcements used in wiper blades. I believe @RAGINGMATT recently posted a photo of a tool kit you can buy at most auto parts stores just for this. New connecters, pins/terminals, etc. can be ordered from @Coolerman.

@Paul DiNapoli so I got my reverse lights working yesterday (only took me five years after my manual swap) and after reading your thread a few times I am struggling to understand why you need to use any wires other then the blue power feed and the red/black striped wire that goes to the reverse lights? Is it just to be able to reuse the stock connector? If so that's fine I'm just trying to understand.
The schematic in the FSM doesn't have anything other then the blue and red/black wires with "reverse switch" between them.

View attachment 1966717
You can pretty easily remove the pins from almost any of the OEM connectors, crimp new pins/terminals of the appropriate type onto the wire ends, and reinsert into the new/used connector housing. All it takes is a few special tools (ground down tips on small screwdrivers, etc.) - for a lot of the connectors I've harvested and reused I use the end of those flat, stiff steel reinforcements used in wiper blades. I believe @RAGINGMATT recently posted a photo of a tool kit you can buy at most auto parts stores just for this. New connecters, pins/terminals, etc. can be ordered from @Coolerman.

:)

DSCN9994.JPG
DSCN9995.JPG
DSCN9996.JPG

Here’s mine. Works every time...and is free!
5F1B39B5-BD08-4A56-A349-19ADCD924341.jpeg

EDIT: got this idea from @Tools R Us

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom