Removing the EGR valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

1994 fzj80 with 238k on the clock.

I have been battling the dreaded code 71 on and off over the last few months. I finally got around to removing and replacing the EGR valve, but dang it's tough to get off.

I have the 32mm union bolt off, as well as the three bolts/nuts holding it to the TB. But, I cannot get it off of the steel pipe assembly.

Does this pipe need to be disconnected , if so what's the best approach it looks like it's buried deep?

Any and all tips will be much appreciated. I can post pics if needed.

Cheers

Take out the studs that hold the egr on and that should let you slide the egr off the tube. Make sure you have the right tool for the studs or vise grip the piss out of it and replace the studs.

Are you referring to the studs on the steel tubing?

What is the best approach to the studs? They look pretty buried.

Or do you remove 25620A in this diagram?

IMG_4765.PNG

Yep, take out the 25620A studs and that way you can leave the pipe in place and just slide the egr away from the pipe. Doing it this way will make it easier to install too.

The studs have a star shaped head on them that you can put a socket on and remove them. You dont want to bend that pipe too much trying to remove the egr with just the nuts off...

You can wiggle the egr off if you cant get the studs off. You just need to get a pry bar and 'break' the rust/its been there a long ass time seal between the pipe and egr....

What he said ^^^^^^^

good advice @450LX

Well.

I had the egr valve already half way off the studs, and it was not going anywhere. So I used a pry bar to lift it and remove the studs. This made it super easy to slide right out

Last edited:
I'm currently trying to remove my EGR valve. I have the studs removed and the large nut all the way off, but the EGR still won't budge from the pipe. Previous posts would suggest that it should be sliding right off at this point, yet mine seems welded on. I've tried pulling on it as hard as I can to no avail, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Wedge a pry bar in there and use some good leverage and it will come apart.

I have removed the EGR valve, cleaned up the intake and all associated parts, reinstalled the intake and now I'm trying to get the EGR valve reinstalled. Following Step 24 from the below page from the FSM, I have temporarily installed the EGR valve to the intake (using M8 bolts rather than studs), but I cannot get the union nut to start threading on the valve. As best as I can tell, the tube doesn't appear to be bent out of alignment and the union nut seems to be lined up well, but I CANNOT get this thing started. Anyone have any EGR-fu they want to share?

UPDATE: The union nut and tubes were not quite lined up enough to thread on. The gap between the EGR valve and the intake must be closed in order to line up the tubes and union nut.

1565730477028.png

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread, I know. I'm currently trying to remove my EGR valve but I can't get the nut to budge. Both it and the valve itself are rusted. I've put penetrant on the threads but no dice. Any advice from here? I figured maybe if I put vice grips on the EGR valve body and then got a wrench on the nut maybe I could loosen it. Right now I have the studs removed so it just wants to twist.

I ended up circumventing the issue (I wasn't after the EGR valve itself) but I'll keep that in mind if I decide to replace it later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom