Removed mud flaps on a stock bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alternatively, just trim the OE flaps. Follow the line of the transition and they'll look like they came that way - netting a clean OE look that doesn't drag and snag. Quick and Free.

How To:
Step one: Remove flares, cut off flappy part and reinstall
Step two: Find another project 'cause that only took a few minutes

Note: the only cut is the one showing the separation. The upper part looks different... just the angle of the pics
IMG_1096.jpg
IMG_1097.jpg

After:
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-25%20at%203.15.26%20PM.png

Last edited:
Love your Hundy, Manhattan. This thread inspired me to do a little nip/tuck on mine. I just took a utility knife to the flap and cut it flush with the bottom of the bumper. Similar to how Phil's Phlaps look. It took 5 mins per side and it looks way better!

I went in to remove my 00's mud flaps last night, came right off, and a bunch of leaves/dirt and crud fell out from behind the mud flap. Always gotta love plastic pieces that trap crap, allowing rust to form. The socket wrench I used to remove the mud flaps happily went through the body in a few areas...lots of cancer back there.

Even if you have no plan to remove flaps, I'd suggest removing them and checking around for rust... I found plenty.

Plan is to cut our all the rusted metal, sand/clean, and spray with some bedliner or something. Luckily none of this is visible so it doesn't need metal welded back in. Any thoughts or criticisms on this one banana fix?

Thanks

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG

Thanks for the idea. I used 1/8" ABS plastic from Taps Plastic locally. I also push the bumper in and rotated the bottom of the bumper inward. For reference I have 275 70 18 KO2s with 18" Tundra wheels. BTW - waiting for a buyer for the running boards before I take them off so I'm not tripping over them.

20160901_191443.jpg

20160901_184521.jpg

I love this. Want. Please include me in next run. Good work, Phil.

I removed mine yesterday and trimmed off the lower part with a utility knife. Worked out well and was super easy as previously mentioned. It gives a few extra inches of clearance but the various plates being discussed here are a great solution if you want maximum clearance with a clean look. I don't see how you can trim the factory pieces to accomplish the same. Keep up the good work! Certainly an easy mod!

I went in to remove my 00's mud flaps last night, came right off, and a bunch of leaves/dirt and crud fell out from behind the mud flap. Always gotta love plastic pieces that trap crap, allowing rust to form. The socket wrench I used to remove the mud flaps happily went through the body in a few areas...lots of cancer back there.

Even if you have no plan to remove flaps, I'd suggest removing them and checking around for rust... I found plenty.

Plan is to cut our all the rusted metal, sand/clean, and spray with some bedliner or something. Luckily none of this is visible so it doesn't need metal welded back in. Any thoughts or criticisms on this one banana fix?

Thanks

View attachment 1304938

View attachment 1304939

View attachment 1304940
I'm going to be doing the exact same thing on my rig this weekend...did you end up cutting it out? How'd it turn out?

Here's mine. Cut the stock flap off with my dremel and cleaned it up with a razor blade and put it back on.
full

full

full

full

Last edited:
LCP: w/r to pizza cutter spares, you read my mind. So, wheels.......source for non-split?

Idea: why not carry 2 super thin pizza cutter spares under the rig?

My pizza is a split-rim from AUS HZJ79 using a 7.00x16 IIRC - downside its super heavy

Two spares, never a need IMO for anyone if you follow basic off road guidelines.

img_5606-jpg.1299546

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom