1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove catalytic converter ?

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by DuckLN, Feb 12, 2017.

1. DuckLN

DuckLN

In arkansas we don't require a smog test on vehicles. Would my lc run any better if i cut the cat converter off and had a pipe welded in? Or would this cause an O2 sensor to go into fault mode or something similar?

Always lookin for improvement!

jrmudder84 likes this.
  2. DuckLN

DuckLN

Awesome. Maybe ill give her a go.!

3. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

Bad idea. The O2 sensors will not feed the ECU a good reading before and after, which will cause the ECU to try to compensate the air/fuel mix. Could lead to lean mix, rich mix and all the fun problems that are associated. You're driving a 3 ton truck that's made for longevity, not performance. If you want that, get a Ford and chip it.

4. sean2202

sean2202

Are you having problems with it? CEL or just want more power?

5. crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio 1972 (late '71 build) SILVER Star

Media:
    Your front O2 sensors give the ECU the data it needs to alter the fuel/air ratio, the rears basically just tell you if the cats are working. If you remove the cats, you'll throw P0420 and P0430 codes (CEL will be on). You can 'trick' the ECU but modifying the readings coming off the rear O2 sensor, but in reality, you're simply better off leaving it alone.

Not sure what sort of improvement you're looking for, but I doubt this is going to noticeably alter performance - and if they ever do start inspecting, you'll have the joy of replacing both cats...

6. tacoduck

tacoduck

or if you sell it to a state that does have smog testing. IMO, having the check engine light on would drive me nuts.