Relic Run April 2022 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So how about getting to Columbia Tuesday evening:

1648039349415.png

Columbia to Huntington, WV Wednesday (add an hour for time change):

1648039476827.png

Huntington to Troy/Campsite on Thursday:

1648040290784.png

Thoughts?

Figured we could probably find a place to crash at Columbia (hint hint) and then a hotel in Huntington, WV. I typically stick to IHG properties (Holiday Inn Express, etc.), but I'm definitely saving the camping for the event.

My $0.02.

Columbia as a jumping off spot works for me (hint hint 😬😉), and I’m fine with whatever schedule works for everyone else 👍🏻 Steve

Columbia as a jumping off spot works for me (hint hint 😬😉), and I’m fine with whatever schedule works for everyone else 👍🏻 Steve
Oh, and now that I said that I checked with the boss, and she’s fine with it too 😅.

@weejub got any ideas of where they should look to stay ??

I'm up for pushing a little further on day 2, and shortening day 3
Like how much further? Charleston is another 50 miles down the road.

My only concern is we are getting into the mountains at that point and I know I'm going to be tired after 9 or 10 hours on the road. Not sure who all has been on this route, but we make the trip to Roanoke this way every couple of years. Going to be fun with a trailer.

we can easily jump from columbia.. Those from KC that don't want to jump from Columbia can just leave 2 hours earlier. And i like rob's idea of pushing more on day 2 with a lesser day 3 but stop before it gets dangerous.. It gets VERY desolate once you are in the national forest.
Caravan from what i know. Rob, Steve, Erik, Duane, Chris possibly Colin, I need to check in with him. Pretty much an old school caravan anyone else please chime in if you are going...
If i can't get my TPS on the 45 sorted i might be in the plan B vehicle. Three different TPS's on the way..
and Chris's reasoning is why i wanted it split up. That's like hitting Denver tired.. BTDT but i'm not in my 30's anymore. One more Mtn Dew just won't make it safe to continue on. Whatever works for the crew. I estimate 3 dogs tho, so we need to take that into consideration hotel wise. Otherwise i'll be sleeping in the truck with the Roo..

@CHUOX17A if you want to pick up the Paella ingredients I will chip in at least half your expenses to feed our crew, chat, drink etc.. It will remind me of Chef's chioppino.
PM me your RelicRun Travel info
Please include.
Driving or towing
if towing, Tow rig Make, Model, year, color
Wheeling Rig Make, Model, year, color
Participants, Mud Name and Legal name (pets names if going and model aka breed and sex, age if known)
CoPilot, kids, etc, please include info.
Email address, Cell #, Ham call sign if applicable
Emergency contact name and #

I will add you to the list.

@weejub got any ideas of where they should look to stay ??

We love staying in downtown Lexington, KY. We had great rates at the Marriott, during Covid height, when we had to make a couple trips due to Father having some issues. You could stop a little early, get some Bourbon :)

The mountains going the north route are a pretty easy drive vs going through Asheville, btw.

Would recommend Charleston WV as your next stopping point vs Huntington. A lot more options for hotels, better area, etc. But . .if you are just sleeping, just pick the best hotel otw, right?

Understand you gotta stay where it makes sense, though :)

So cool you guys are coming out! We have registered and hope to see the old KC crew!!

Edit: We live about an hour east of Uwharrie. There is a Toyota dealership about 45 mins west of us, on the way, as well (Modern Toyota). Ping me here or at (913) 908 8690 if anyone needs anything that weekend. We will be in the 4Runner watching the relics, but can bring tools/parts/food, etc, as needed.

At Uwharrie, there is a good "outpost" called Eldorado Outpost for gas, etc. They have decent food for breakfast and lunch.

Last edited:
@weejub Does your recommendations change knowing there will be a bunch of trucks pulling trailers?

@weejub Does your recommendations change knowing there will be a bunch of trucks pulling trailers?

Read through more of the post and wow this is a huge caravan!

Yea - prolly just find the best hotel off the interstate you can find between Lexington and Charleston. Louisville is too close and there is nothing after Charleston until too close to Uwharrie.

We have friends in Huntington and they love it - its just a smaller town, with lots of opioids available . . .

Last edited:
Trying to figure out food and cooking. We’ve transitioned to glamping and don’t have much left for camping cookware. We have a 2-burner Blackstone griddle that I can bring if that would help. I’m always up for grilling a batch of fajitas. Figured we plan for dinners Thursday and Friday. Thoughts?

Friday is an organized pot luck, Sat is catered BBQ, according to the Relic Run web site, just FYI 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom