Red Bird Run Oct. 23 & 24 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wont happen! why, is the new gsmtr sanctioned?

Seeing that GSMTR 2011 is in the TLCA Sanctioned Event section, Im thinking it is.

You freakin "book smart" people gots all tha answers.

Of course I cannot view the videos due to my slow-ass-country ***-no high speed inter web connection.

However, being the open minded individual that I am, I'm not interested......

Seeing that GSMTR 2011 is in the TLCA Sanctioned Event section, Im thinking it is.

It's an open event. Same as last year. No TLCA membership required.

Can you change our minds?

Commander

It's not always about the trails. Though I would put the trails at Golden Mtn. up against the trails at Tellico any day. Both have their likes and dislikes. Tellico trails were open to anyone during GSMTR. The trails could get crowded some times. I think the biggest con for Tellico was the drive to get to the trails. It was easily 45 minutes over a long gravel road. That being said they were in virgin forest in the mountains with views that just couldn't be beat. Was kind of like being in gods country.

Golden Mountain is a whole new beast. 500 acres of private land with trails of all levels throughout. I had several comments that a few trails were very similar too lower 2 at Tellico only 4 times as long. Last year there were no easy trails. A massive storm a month before the event dumped 15" of rain on the system and made all the easy trails not easy. I think that was the biggest complaint we had from the event. They have since gone in and fixed those trails as well last time we were up there they were making new trails. I think the biggest plus of Golden Mountain though is your basically camping inside the trail system. Meaning getting on the trails is no more than a 100 yard drive or less. The whole park is ours for the entire week. No rangers or other people besides myself and the staff to worry about. We did get rain last year. Twice. But it wasn't any different from any other place in the southeast. By the end of the week I think the trails had recovered nicely. One good thing about GMP is there is a lot of places to go if it were to rain. Your not stuck in your vehicle or under a tent. The main cabana can hold more people than we would want in the park. Not to mention all the other cabanas scattered throughout the park which we have let vendors who attend and clubs use. Some even have power and water. There are showers on site as well as there is a new bunk house for those who want the creature comforts of home.

There is one reason why most people come to GSMTR though. It's not for the trails, though they are a nice perk, it's the people that come. You will not find a better group of people to come hang out with. You can expect me personally to at least ask you more than once during the event if there was anything you needed or I could do to make your vacation better. If I couldn't do it I would find someone who did. You shouldn't look at this as an event but as a vacation. Because that is really what it is. You get to basically do whatever you want with very few restrictions. There is no set schedule you have to follow only unless you want to. If you want to set up camp in a different area of the park go right ahead. If you don't want to wheel and just want to come and drink the whole time and crap your pants. I'm cool with that. I'm sure there are others that will join in. If all you want to do is fish I'm sure there will be times when I will join you. We caught some excellent bass out of the ponds last year.

Sparta, TN is about 15 minutes down the road so getting what you need is but just a quick trip. Facilities at the park are second to none. There is an on site shop to fix stuff and they are ridiculously cheap. Bathrooms in most places. The showers aren't 5 star but they are hot and get the job done.

I know all this sounds like the holy grail and until you actually see it you really won't believe me. We have a simple motto in UC we strive for a something for everyone attitude and I think GSMTR is the definition of that.

Are there any event fees?
If there are are you expected to pay if you can only make a couple of days of the event?
I expect standard park and camping fees per day.
I would like to make it to Tenn. for some wheelin'.

Seriously I am probably the biggest GSMTR convert there ever was. To me it was the end all be all of wheeling, and if Golder Mountain is "like lower two" I am half past midnight and ragin' for release...just saying. Your pics look intriguing but at the same time are reserved. Once again....convince me. Just sayin'!

(PS the following probably only makes sense if you have been out with us at least once. Shut the f...just sayin')

I'm intrigued but i am not diffucult to please either. I would go along with what ever the PYS group decides.
Either way I know I'm having a good time!!

I'm intrigued but i am not diffucult to please either. I would go along with what ever the PYS group decides.
Either way I know I'm having a good time!!

I am in the same category. Perhaps some people in the group would do both events since they are at different times...if I am not mistaken.

Ill be in the Washita campground on June 11th sipping a cocktail.

If that means im alone....mkay. If that means doing both...mkay. But as cool as gsmtr may be the thing I love about pys isnt the pavilions, or the raffles, or the bbq's, or the vendor tents, or all the nice new people, or all the organization....I love that there is NONE of that on PYS. But If ya'll want to go Ill try to make both.

See ya in Washita on the 11th

Ill be in the Wa****a campground on June 11th sipping a cocktail

Ill be there with a cocktail in one hand and a cigar in the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom