Rebuilt 2F break in gone wrong (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

doseman

SILVER Star
Threads
I tore down and rebuilt a 1979 2F. Machine shop did valve job, balanced rotating assembly, dipped block and honed cylinders. No boring or oversized anything. I assembled motor using FSM as guide and used assembly lube. Also added some zinc i believe to oil for break in. Primed oil pump via old dizzy shaft and drill.

Today I fired it up. Oil pressure on gauge good and no weird noises. At the 1 minute mark, I noticed a coolant leak. Killed motor and replaced hose clamp. Fired it back up oil pressure gauge on dash was reading good, temp good and at the 7 minute mark-it shut down. It just stopped. I tried to start it, but it wouldnt. Starter turns it over but barely. I have GR starter and it was spinning it right up before. I tried turning by hand at the flywheel-no go. the other day it would turn easily via flywheel when I was setting the BB for timing puroses.

Talk about a kick to the old nuts!!! I have drained the oil-no metal flakes on drain plug magnet. i havent strained the oil yet, but hoping for some wisdom. My next step would be to pull oil pan and look around. Maybe possibly loosen main bearings one at a time to see if it frees it up. Anything else I should try first?

thanks Mike

Sounds like you are at least going to have to drop the oil pan and have a look, you can check out the cylinders to see if anything looks odd, as well as check the mains.

Maybe make sure the starter drive is not engaged or there's not a locked up accessory. I guessing you'll be pulling the pan. Loosing and pulling caps. Did you plastigage or check clearances during assembly?

Was your distributor seated fully? I somehow broke the tip of mine off once while driving and seized up my 2F. Did not notice the drop in oil pressure at the time. Hope this isn't the case with your engine.

Maybe make sure the starter drive is not engaged or there's not a locked up accessory. I guessing you'll be pulling the pan. Loosing and pulling caps. Did you plastigage or check clearances during assembly?
yes plastigaged bearings during assembly. starter is not engaged I have dropped oil pan and started loosening bearings. nothing yet

Sounds like a spun bearing? You can prime the pump with a drill to see if things will loossn up( make sure your dist is fully seated)

Sounds like a spun bearing? You can prime the pump with a drill to see if things will loossn up( make sure your dist is fully seated)
Whitey45 got it. Rear bearing spun. Loosened it up and was able to turn by hand at flywheel.

64016F10-B547-4068-A74A-1E2C7F200447.jpeg

6D3C5FE5-6EF3-48FC-8852-1D57DC665CE2.jpeg

EAB25B06-21EE-496A-8FAA-06A361D75374.jpeg

I'd pull the engine. Only because I hate crawling around underneath, it's the easiest engine to get out, and things are always better on a stand

I'd pull the motor and disassemble and clean. You probably have a lot invested in it. Try to get that journal polished up and find out why. No sense in 1/2 assing it at this point. Crap has gone thru it.

find out why.
^^This^^
Probably best investigated on a stand.
My guess is blocked oil passage. Somewhere here is an oil passage diagram.

Oh man 😕
Glad you figured it out quick.

Yeah, bummer after all that work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom