Rebuilding Aisin locking hub Locking hub rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Someone turned my aisin hub half-way between locked and unlocked without me knowing it. I had noticed a vibration on the highway and after a few days I decided to check the manual hubs for correct position and noticed that the passenger side hub was neither locked or free. When I tried to turn the hub position to free it wouldn't go, however; it would turned to locking. I tried engaging 4wheel drive and backing up in reverse, and then dissengaging 4wheel drive and the hubs, but that passenger hub still would not unlock. I have read that to take the hubs off for a rebuild that you must turn them to the free position. How can I take the hub off if I can't turn it to the free position?

Bump on this. I have a very similar issue, where my hubs will engage but will not retract. I can't even get them to retract with the faceplate off and the clutch/gear assembly put together. everything is greased and all... Any ideas? I feel like the larger spring needs to catch on an edge of sorts to pull the gear in... Thanks for any help

Can you get this part out of the Hub with the face plate off?

attachment.php

That's the part that slides in and out to lock and unlock the hub. It sounds like you may have to take it all apart and clean it out good so you can see what's going on. You may have a damaged surface or a bur that's stopping it from moving properly. :cheers: Let us know what you find!

Here's where it gets tricky...

Pic 1. Spring and pressed bracket, note the bend in the spring against the raised tab and that there is one wrap of spring above each of the inner tabs. Enjoy the Mud salute!!!! :flipoff2:

Pic 2. Spring into gear. Note the notes in the pic! :D

Pic 3. Lock-ring, dial and face. Install spring, ball, and O-ring into dial.

Pic 1. When installing the dial into the face piece, hold dial so that the ball is facing up, and turn the face untill one of the 2 V grooves lines up, it goes in easy then.

Pic 2. Spring/gear assembly, spring, and dial/face assemble. Center spring goes in one way, one end fits tightly around the spring/gear assembly, the other end is larger and goes around the tabs sticking out of the back of the dial face.

Pic 3. Press together and twist to assemble. The tabs on the gear/spring go into the grooves of the dial. But you were watching when you took it apart right? :D

Just a note for people who do not know that there is a lock ball, or BB, and spring on the outer edge of the dial.

If you take that dial out with no knowledge of the lock BB and spring, you will end up launching that little f*ing ball across your garage, followed by lots of inappropriate language. Ask me how I know...

I moved earlier this year and as I cleaned out the garage I was hoping I would find the missing ball. No dice...

Marlin sells replacement spring and BB.

You can read more about my trials and tribulation here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/165240-source-aisin-asco-hub-bb.html

Last edited:
i just picked up some AISIN hubs to swap out the WARN hubs mine came with , question is , how much if any grease do I need to pack these with , and is there supposed to be a gasket between the hub and where it mounts to the 4runner ?

You don't want to "pack" them with grease, just coat everything well. Yes there is a gasket between the hub and where it mounts. If you can't find one local, just use some silicon to keep the water out and you'll be fine. :cheers:

I'll add that if you put in too much grease, they will lock just fine, but will not unlock (the grease keeps sucking them in, as it were). At least, that's what happened when I put too much grease in one of mine. It's pretty obvious what happened though, and took five minutes to pull the face plate back off and take some grease out of there.

Dan

WristPin - Where in the NW might you be? I'd like to get my hands on some o' the grease you mentioned earlier. I am located in Tac/Oly area, PM me if it's still available.

Thanks

For sharing this info Jerod,i could really use this in the future.

John

I know this is an older thread, but I'm looking at rebuilding my hubs and wondered if there is a "kit" or am I just going to clean, grease, and reassemble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom